Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-94 Visa Waiver - Last Day to Depart

I-94 Visa Waiver - Last Day to Depart

Old Mar 6th 2020, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

navman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-94 Visa Waiver - Last Day to Depart

My mother is here in the US staying with me on a Visa Waiver. She arrived on 18th Dec, she is due to depart the US on 16th March (7pm PST flight)

I checked her I-94 Admissions record this morning to validate compliance and it states the following as per below:

Your authorized period of stay in the United States expires on 3/16/2020 (mm/dd/yyyy). Our records show you have 11 days to depart the United States. The days remaining in the United States are the days you have left on your admission period. This number is calculated from the day of the query until the last day of your admission period. You must depart the United States, unless you have a pending or approved petition that allows you to remain, by 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the last day of your admission.

I wanted to double check and confirm compliance of her admission on I-94 As I understand it she is good to depart on 3/16 but cannot stay any longer. Is that correct?
Old Mar 6th 2020, 2:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-94 Visa Waiver - Last Day to Depart

Originally Posted by navman
My mother is here in the US staying with me on a Visa Waiver. She arrived on 18th Dec, she is due to depart the US on 16th March (7pm PST flight)

I checked her I-94 Admissions record this morning to validate compliance and it states the following as per below:

Your authorized period of stay in the United States expires on 3/16/2020 (mm/dd/yyyy). Our records show you have 11 days to depart the United States. The days remaining in the United States are the days you have left on your admission period. This number is calculated from the day of the query until the last day of your admission period. You must depart the United States, unless you have a pending or approved petition that allows you to remain, by 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the last day of your admission.

I wanted to double check and confirm compliance of her admission on I-94 As I understand it she is good to depart on 3/16 but cannot stay any longer. Is that correct?
Yes but that's cutting it mighty fine - a 5 hour delay and she can never use the VWP again! Personally I'd see if she can change to a flight a day or two before to allow for any delays or issues.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

As I thought, thank you for confirming. Fingers crossed the flight is not canceled or delayed.

Old Mar 6th 2020, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you doubting the official notice?

I agree with Christmasoompa. I would never leave it that close to the deadline. There's not just the risk of a flight delay but also any hold up on the way to the airport etc.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Not doubting, wanted to double check make sure I interpreted it correctly. CBP now send you an email advising how many days you have left.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed the flight is not canceled or delayed.
Could you not change it to a couple of days before? The worrier in me is stressing on your mother's behalf!

Old Mar 6th 2020, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

With flights being cancelled daily due to coronovirus, and others being rescheduled, I'd check with your airline that the flight is still on schedule.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people are more risk tolerant. Perhaps she has no plans to come back to the US and it really does not matter.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 7:54 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

many airlines are now offering free flight changes for flights booked from here on to the end of 2020. Yesterday, I saw an FB post on United's page where someone was complaining they were only offering it for new flight bookings and she had already made hers. They responded that she should contact them and they would see if they could accommodate her.
I'd contact the airline and change it to the day or days before.... and since you say the flight is PST then I'd mention that she is older and you want to get her home before the coronavirus affects her.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 1:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the advice above, to change the flight. I would recommend moving it by at least a couple of days as there are numerous reasons that a flight could be delayed, or your mother miss her flight - traffic, congestion, and accident, or a breakdown heading to the airport, your mother suffering an injury or medical condition, mechanical issues with the plane, weather, or disruptions due to something more dramatic, such as a volcano or another "9/11" - both the last two have occurred within the past 20 years.

And to be explicitly clear, there are absolutely no excuses accepted for not leaving within 90 days of arrival - if you leave late, no matter how "good" your excuse, you can never use the VWP again. And it is also far from certain that your mother could get a visa any time soon - over staying your time allowed in the US is a significant factor in being denied a visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 7th 2020 at 1:08 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 5:18 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree with the advice above, to change the flight. I would recommend moving it by at least a couple of days as there are numerous reasons that a flight could be delayed, or your mother miss her flight - traffic, congestion, and accident, or a breakdown heading to the airport, your mother suffering an injury or medical condition, mechanical issues with the plane, weather, or disruptions due to something more dramatic, such as a volcano or another "9/11" - both the last two have occurred within the past 20 years.

And to be explicitly clear, there are absolutely no excuses accepted for not leaving within 90 days of arrival - if you leave late, no matter how "good" your excuse, you can never use the VWP again. And it is also far from certain that your mother could get a visa any time soon - over staying your time allowed in the US is a significant factor in being denied a visa.
I recall one time they offered the possibility of an extension related to a natural disaster ... but in general the OP would be wise to change the flight and not risk it.

“Special Update as of March 11: Relief for Japanese and Other Nationals from the Pacific Stranded due to the Earthquakes and TsunamiThis advisory is for Japanese and other foreign nationals from the Pacific stranded in the United States due to the earthquakes and tsunami devastation. If you have exceeded or are about to exceed your authorized stay in the U.S. you may be permitted up to an additional 30 days to depart.

Visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):

https://www.uscis.gov/archive/archiv...es-and-tsunami
Old Mar 7th 2020, 5:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I recall one time they offered the possibility of an extension related to a natural disaster ... but in general the OP would be wise to change the flight and not risk it.“Special Update as of March 11: Relief for Japanese and Other Nationals from the Pacific Stranded due to the Earthquakes and TsunamiThis advisory is for Japanese and other foreign nationals from the Pacific stranded in the United States due to the earthquakes and tsunami devastation. If you have exceeded or are about to exceed your authorized stay in the U.S. you may be permitted up to an additional 30 days to depart. ...
Thank you, that's interesting, but AFAIK there was no such allowance made when a volcano in Iceland disrupted North Atlantic air travel.
​​​​​​
Old Mar 7th 2020, 5:28 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thank you, that's interesting, but AFAIK there was no such allowance made when a volcano in Iceland disrupted North Atlantic air travel.
​​​​​​
right, I think the reason they made the allowance was less the lack of ability to travel and more the optics of sending people in to a nuclear disaster zone...

with the possibility of being quarantined for 14+ days I would think it wise for VW visitors to maybe stay a max of 60 days to be safe under the current situation.

Last edited by tht; Mar 7th 2020 at 5:31 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Just thinking about time zones, how does a 7pm (PST) departure fit in with the fact that she must leave before 11.59pm (EST)?
Old Mar 8th 2020, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Just thinking about time zones, how does a 7pm (PST) departure fit in with the fact that she must leave before 11.59pm (EST)?
2 hour difference net, just makes it close. But theoretically doable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.