Wikiposts

I-94 question

Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Donnycarko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-94 question

I understand that I will receive the I-94 document on the plane or when I arrive in the US. Will they take a section of the form when I have completed it, while I keep another section?

If so, how does it work in instances when I leave the US? I am studying in the US from August onwards, lasting until May, but I will be heading back home to the UK for Christmas. Will they take my I-94 document on departure? Do I then receive a new document when I return after the holidays? I'm a little confused about this.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-94 question

As you are entering the US with a visa, you complete the white I94 form on the plane (or before you arrive at immigration in the USA). There are 2 parts. One part the Immigration Officer will keep, the other part will be stapled into your passport.

When you leave the USA, the part in your passport must be handed back. You will repeat the process when you return to the USA.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donnycarko
I understand that I will receive the I-94 document on the plane or when I arrive in the US. Will they take a section of the form when I have completed it, while I keep another section?
I know they staple the I-94 to your passport; I'm not sure if they keep a section of it or not.

I am studying in the US from August onwards, lasting until May, but I will be heading back home to the UK for Christmas. Will they take my I-94 document on departure?
Yes.

Do I then receive a new document when I return after the holidays?
You will receive a new I-94, yes.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys. When I fill in the form on arrival in August, do I need to indicate that I will be leaving the US in December for the holidays? Will it ask anything like "duration of stay"? If so, do I put leaving in May (end of my year abroad) or December (home for the holidays)?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

No, the form doesn't ask how long you intend staying.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. When I fill in the form on arrival in August, do I need to indicate that I will be leaving the US in December for the holidays?
Nope.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

When you enter at the POE, the officer will stamp your passport and write in a date. This is the date are supposed to leave the country by. This could be a year from the day you enter, the expiry date of your visa, or some other date. It's worth double-checking this date as you walk towards baggage claim to make sure he/she didn't make a mistake and give you just 90 days.

If you are also issued an I-797 (Do they do that for student visas?) you should have that with you too. POE officers always seem to like stapling that into my passport too....
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Final question. I have to land in Charlotte then get a connecting flight to Indianapolis. Will I have to go through immigration in both airports? If so, will I simply need to present, in Indianapolis, the section of the I-94 that I'll already have at that point?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:26 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Final question. I have to land in Charlotte then get a connecting flight to Indianapolis. Will I have to go through immigration in both airports? If so, will I simply need to present, in Indianapolis, the section of the I-94 that I'll already have at that point?
POE = Port of Entry (to USA). In this case that is Charlotte. That is where you go through immigration.

Flight from Charlotte to Indy will be like a bus ride.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RICH
POE = Port of Entry (to USA). In this case that is Charlotte. That is where you go through immigration.

Flight from Charlotte to Indy will be like a bus ride.
Thanks RICH. I figured that would be the case.

Anything you can tell me about immigration? Is it simply a brief interview, and paperwork check? Won't take too long?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Anything you can tell me about immigration? Is it simply a brief interview, and paperwork check? Won't take too long?
Entering the US with a non-immigrant visa doesn't usually take more than a minute or two provided that everything is in order.

There is always a possibility that you might be sent to secondary inspection, which could then take an arbitrarily long length of time - even if secondary only takes another few minutes for you there could be a lot of people ahead of you so that, in the worst (but very unlikely case) it could take hours.

Realistically, though, it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes - you will probably spend more time waiting to pick up your baggage. (I don't think it was explicitly mentioned but, in addition to immigration, you will also go through customs at the POE and then recheck your bags - usually just consists of dropping them on a conveyor belt - for your next flight).

You didn't mention what visa you have - assuming that it is an F-1 don't forget that you *must* also have your I-20 with you and when you go back to the UK for the holidays you *must* get your I-20 endorsed by the DSO at your college before you leave and, once again, you must have that I-20 with you when you re-enter the US.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
Entering the US with a non-immigrant visa doesn't usually take more than a minute or two provided that everything is in order.

There is always a possibility that you might be sent to secondary inspection, which could then take an arbitrarily long length of time - even if secondary only takes another few minutes for you there could be a lot of people ahead of you so that, in the worst (but very unlikely case) it could take hours.

Realistically, though, it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes - you will probably spend more time waiting to pick up your baggage. (I don't think it was explicitly mentioned but, in addition to immigration, you will also go through customs at the POE and then recheck your bags - usually just consists of dropping them on a conveyor belt - for your next flight).

You didn't mention what visa you have - assuming that it is an F-1 don't forget that you *must* also have your I-20 with you and when you go back to the UK for the holidays you *must* get your I-20 endorsed by the DSO at your college before you leave and, once again, you must have that I-20 with you when you re-enter the US.
I have a J-1, so I have a DS-2019. I need to get that endorsed at the college before I leave?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:07 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks RICH. I figured that would be the case.

I only did it once, and I believe everyone's experience could be different.