Wikiposts

I-94 ,Advance of parole , AOS ???

Old May 31st 2001, 5:48 am
Claus

Hi all, I filed my AOS last month and my AP arrived two weeks later, but I wonder
if once I try to visit my country my I-94 (which expires next July) will be taken
from my passport, and if that is the case, then what is my actual status?. I got
into the US with a K-1 last April, and the I-94 expires on July, what is my status
after I file the AOS?, what will happen after the I-94 expires?, or what will
happen when I try to visit my country next December?. Any comment will be good for
me. Thanks a lot Claus

Old May 31st 2001, 6:00 am
Andy Platt

You are currently pending permanent resident (pending AOS) - the K-1 status
disappeared the moment that you filed the I-485. Although you didn't get a new I-94
your status is extended indefinitely.

When you leave the US, surrender the I-94 to the airline as normal. When you re-enter
the US you'll fill out a new I-94. You will enter as a "parollee" (still your status
will be pending permanent resident). Usually (but not always) the date on the new
I-94 will be "indefinite" - I only recently noticed that on the last entry they had
put a specific date which is a little stupid. BTW, you'll almost certainly be
processed through secondary immigration when entering on AP.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 31st 2001, 11:36 am
Betastar

>
    >
    >

Yeah - they put a date on Reinhard's. Thankfully he's traveling again before
it expires, but I wondered what would happen if it expired before he used the
AP again...

Maybe they don't realize how LONG it takes to do an AOS these days

Old May 31st 2001, 12:09 pm
Claus

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
So, that means that the AP will be like my visa to re-enter to the country, am I
wrong?. Ok. Thanks a lot

Old May 31st 2001, 4:07 pm
Shelley

My husband drives back and forth to Canada, the first time he crossed back into the
US they took his AP and stamped it and removed the I-94 from his passport. Since then
he was never issued another I-94, and just shows his AP. As long as the AP is valid,
you don't need to worry about reentering the US. Take Care. Shelley "Claus"
<[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > You are currently pending permanent resident (pending AOS) - the K-1[/usenetquote2]
status
[usenetquote2]> > disappeared the moment that you filed the I-485. Although you didn't get[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > new I-94 your status is extended indefinitely.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > When you leave the US, surrender the I-94 to the airline as normal. When[/usenetquote2]
you
[usenetquote2]> > re-enter the US you'll fill out a new I-94. You will enter as a[/usenetquote2]
"parollee"
[usenetquote2]> > (still your status will be pending permanent resident). Usually (but not always)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the date on the new I-94 will be "indefinite" - I only recently noticed that on[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the last entry they had put a specific date which is a little stupid. BTW, you'll[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > almost certainly be processed through[/usenetquote2]
secondary
[usenetquote2]> > immigration when entering on AP.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andy.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

Old May 31st 2001, 11:31 pm
Andy Platt

Remember that you can only reuse your I-94 for trips of less than 30 days to a
handful of select countries (besides Canada and Mexico there are some Caribbean
islands you can use it for).

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Shelley"
<[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > > You are currently pending permanent resident (pending AOS) - the K-1[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > disappeared the moment that you filed the I-485. Although you didn't[/usenetquote2]
get
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > new I-94 your status is extended indefinitely.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > When you leave the US, surrender the I-94 to the airline as normal.[/usenetquote2]
When
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > re-enter the US you'll fill out a new I-94. You will enter as a[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > (still your status will be pending permanent resident). Usually (but[/usenetquote2]
not
[usenetquote2]> > > always) the date on the new I-94 will be "indefinite" - I only[/usenetquote2]
recently
[usenetquote2]> > > noticed that on the last entry they had put a specific date which is a little[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > stupid. BTW, you'll almost certainly be processed through[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > immigration when entering on AP.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Andy.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > So, that means that the AP will be like my visa to re-enter to the country, am I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > wrong?. Ok. Thanks a lot[/usenetquote2]

Old May 31st 2001, 11:32 pm
Andy Platt

Yes it's kind of like a visa though your rights when you've entered on it are not
quite as "good" as when you enter on a visa (no need to worry about it though so long
as you haven't broken any immigration laws!).

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Claus" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > You are currently pending permanent resident (pending AOS) - the K-1[/usenetquote2]
status
[usenetquote2]> > disappeared the moment that you filed the I-485. Although you didn't get[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > new I-94 your status is extended indefinitely.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > When you leave the US, surrender the I-94 to the airline as normal. When[/usenetquote2]
you
[usenetquote2]> > re-enter the US you'll fill out a new I-94. You will enter as a[/usenetquote2]
"parollee"
[usenetquote2]> > (still your status will be pending permanent resident). Usually (but not always)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the date on the new I-94 will be "indefinite" - I only recently noticed that on[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the last entry they had put a specific date which is a little stupid. BTW, you'll[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > almost certainly be processed through[/usenetquote2]
secondary
[usenetquote2]> > immigration when entering on AP.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andy.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

Old Jun 2nd 2001, 11:15 am
Penny Pike

Hi Andy: Quick question for you on AP and the AOS interview. I am going for the
interview on June 26. I have AP and it expires on July 23- was issued for 1 year. I
do not want to have to renew this if I don't have to, and I am planning a trip to
Canada July 20th. I heard that as long as I get my "stamp" in my passport at the
interview I will not need a new AP document, is this correct? Many thanksd for your
help here! Kanook

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> >Usually (but not always) the date on the new I-94 will be "indefinite" - I only[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >recently noticed that on the last entry they had put a specific date which is a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >little stupid.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 2nd 2001, 12:53 pm
F

>

Hope you don't mind that my name isn't Andy.

>
    >

That is correct.

F.