I-864 sponsoring parents

Old Apr 21st 2021, 2:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 sponsoring parents

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm thinking that as well. I was eligible when I was 65 but didn't register because I was fully insured under my husband's plan. When I finally decided to retire at 66.3 (eligible at age 65), I paid no penalty for registering for medicare at that time either.

I looked in my Medicare file, and the brochure I was sent had two columns of info under Parts A and B, with the headings "Enroll when you turn 65" "Or enroll when you lose employer coverage and are Medicare-eligible." Under the second heading, it says: "You can enroll in Medicare Parts A and B up to eight months after you retire or when your employer health plan coverage ends, whichever comes first. Your coverage may be delayed and you may have to pay a higher Part B premium if you enroll later."

For Part C, under that same second headline regarding losing employer coverage, it says, "If you retire or lose employer coverage and are Medicare-eligible, you have a two-month special election period to enroll. Be sure to enroll early to say covered. Your coverage may be delayed and you may have to pay a higher premium if you enroll later."
Old Apr 21st 2021, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Isn’t the major exemption to the penalty that you are working and have employer-provided health insurance?
That is correct.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
That's interesting. Everything I have ever read says that there is always a penalty for not signing up for Medicare when first eligible. Perhaps this is only where the requisite quarters have been earned?
Not if you are already under a health insurance plan with employer and continue working and being member of that company's plan.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Not if you are already under a health insurance plan with employer and continue working and being member of that company's plan.
You have to be careful about the details. The employer must have 20 or more employees and it has to be a "group health plan". https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...-get-parts-a-b