Green Card Lottery eligibility

Old Mar 30th 2012, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Diddly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card Lottery eligibility

Hello

This is my 1st post, apologies if this is a question which has been asked before. I've searched and couldn't find an answer. I've trawled the internet and also found conflicting replies.

I'm an Irish citizen/passport holder however I was born in the UK to an Irish father and British mother. Does anybody know whether I qualify to enter the lottery?

We are just beginning to look at the whole process, the various investment visas are also an option but if eligible for the lottery that would be our 1st preference.

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Lottery eligibility

Where were your parents born?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marocco
Where were your parents born?
My father was born in Ireland and my mother was born in the UK.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

I think both parents would need to be Irish - although define UK; if its Northern Ireland then that is included in the DV.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddly
My father was born in Ireland and my mother was born in the UK.

Thanks again.
Were you or your mother born in Northern Ireland?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by captainsensible
I think both parents would need to be Irish - although define UK; if its Northern Ireland then that is included in the DV.
Eligibility for the DV lottery depends only on birthplace, not nationality. However, you are right to note that birth in NI satisfies the requirement.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

I was not born in NI. My mother’s birth place is actually somewhat of a grey area. She is adopted. Officially she is from the UK, not NI but the belief is she is actually Irish (1950's child) however all her original papers were destroyed by my Grandmother so her only paperwork now states UK.

I don't imagine the above would hold much sway with US immigration

It's not looking promising is it. My father in law was born in NI but my mother in law is British as is my husband so based on this he is ineligible too?

Thanks

Last edited by Diddly; Mar 30th 2012 at 2:36 pm. Reason: Edited to say thank you.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was not born in NI. My mother’s birth place is actually somewhat of a grey area. She is adopted. Officially she is from the UK, not NI but the belief is she is actually Irish (1950's child) however all her original papers were destroyed by my Grandmother so her only paperwork now states UK.

I don't imagine the above would hold much sway with US immigration

It's not looking promising is it. My father in law was born in NI but my mother in law is British as is my husband so based on this he is ineligible too?

Thanks
What is your mother's official birthplace?

Once again, nationality is completely irrelevant for the purpose of the DV lottery - it doesn't matter if your mother is British, Irish, Chinese, or stateless.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Has your mother gone to gro.gov.uk to get a copy of her birth certificate? It only covers England and Wales so if they find her birth certificate there's your answer. I don't know who does birth certificates for either part of Ireland.