I-864 and I-864a

Old May 29th 2012, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default I-864 and I-864a

Right, we've been trying to get paperwork sorted out from my husband's parents as my FIL is joint sponsoring my immigration to the US. We are waiting for the I-130 to be processed. I just read something about the NVU (?) sending out the I-864 to my FIL once I-130 has been approved, is this right or does it actually fall on us to make sure the paperwork is sorted out? I'm confused now!!

Also, does my MIL have to fill out an I-864a even though my FIL makes more than enough money to sponsor me of his own accord? We intend to live with them for a while once we get to the US until we can get situated.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I-864 and I-864a

Originally Posted by Emma M
Right, we've been trying to get paperwork sorted out from my husband's parents as my FIL is joint sponsoring my immigration to the US. We are waiting for the I-130 to be processed. I just read something about the NVU (?) sending out the I-864 to my FIL once I-130 has been approved, is this right or does it actually fall on us to make sure the paperwork is sorted out? I'm confused now!!

Also, does my MIL have to fill out an I-864a even though my FIL makes more than enough money to sponsor me of his own accord? We intend to live with them for a while once we get to the US until we can get situated.
You filed in London, didn't you? In which case you can forget all about the NVU. It's up to you and your joint sponsor to organise the paperwork. You can get everything you need either at the US embassy in London site, or the USCIS site. There's nothing to stop him getting started on it now, although it's probably best to have everything dated as close as possible to the interview.

If your MIL's finances aren't being used, she doesn't need to complete an I-864a. Make sure that FIL's tax returns are clear about his contribution though, and don't just show their combined income.

James
Old May 30th 2012, 2:26 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The NVC - National Visa Center.
Originally Posted by JSL8610
You filed in London, didn't you? In which case you can forget all about the NVU.
I just read something about the NVU (?) sending out the I-864 to my FIL once I-130 has been approved ...

I concur.
It's up to you and your joint sponsor to organise the paperwork. You can get everything you need either at the US embassy in London site, or the USCIS site. There's nothing to stop him getting started on it now, although it's probably best to have everything dated as close as possible to the interview.

If your MIL's finances aren't being used, she doesn't need to complete an I-864a. Make sure that FIL's tax returns are clear about his contribution though, and don't just show their combined income.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The NVC - National Visa Center.
Gah, I knew NVU didn't sound right.

Thanks Jeff.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Gah, I knew NVU didn't sound right.

Thanks Jeff.
Yeah, I was just recalling from memory, I have no idea where I got NVU from lol, thanks
Old May 30th 2012, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

You filed in London, didn't you? In which case you can forget all about the NVU. It's up to you and your joint sponsor to organise the paperwork. You can get everything you need either at the US embassy in London site, or the USCIS site. There's nothing to stop him getting started on it now, although it's probably best to have everything dated as close as possible to the interview.

James
He's been working on the paperwork already, only thing is he printed it all out instead of handwriting it all (other than his signature) will this matter or is it me just being mega fussy?
Old May 30th 2012, 5:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

He's been working on the paperwork already, only thing is he printed it all out instead of handwriting it all (other than his signature) will this matter or is it me just being mega fussy?
The I-864 can be filled out either online and then printed out, or filled out by hand, either way is fine. Just make sure the signature is original (i.e. done by hand, not printed online).

Rene
Old May 30th 2012, 7:59 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

His is the best way to do it - handwritten is often more difficult to read.

Regards, JEff

Old May 30th 2012, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The I-864 can be filled out either online and then printed out, or filled out by hand, either way is fine. Just make sure the signature is original (i.e. done by hand, not printed online).

Rene
ok, just paranoid me thought that it would look like anyone could have filled that out online and just got him to sign, that's why I thought that handwritten would be more authentic.