i-864 co-sponsor question

Old Nov 29th 2001, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future

hi all,

the recent flurry of i-864 questions and experiences has made me examine my own situation and i need advice as to what to do regarding a revised i-864 which we will have to present at our aos interview. i'd appreciate help from anyone who can guide me through the morass of sponsors/co-sponsors in our particular case. here are the background facts:

*aaron's 1998, 1999 and 2000 tax returns show him as making more than 125% of the poverty level.

*aaron was the sole sponsor for my k1 i-134.

*we married on july 29th 2001 and filed for aos on august 6th using him as my sole i-864 sponsor, submitting copies of his w2s as evidence of earnings (intending to bring tax returns to the interviews).

*aaron left his job at the end of september to attend school and is currently earning nothing (therefore his 2001 tax return may not reach 125% of the poverty level).

*i have only just found temporary work, but expect to be in permanent work by the end of december at more than 125% of the poverty level.

*if all goes as projected, our aos interview should be in seattle in april/may.

so here are my questions:

1. has aaron done anything wrong in the eyes of the ins by leaving his job and therefore not technically being able to abide by the i-134 and original i-864 (i.e. financially support me so i'm not a burden on the us) should it be necessary?

2. is aaron, as my spouse, still required to be the primary sponsor on any revised i-864s submitted even though his income is non-existent?

and what i suspect is an old chestnut:

3. can i, assuming that i have sufficient income, be my own co-sponsor? do i, having applied for a green card, count as "an alien lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence" - which sponsors/co-sponsors are required to be?

grinch - if you're reading this - i would really appreciate a brief recap of your and the grinchess' particular i-864/aos situation (or pointer to the appropriate post), as i believe you followed this latter path?

i have a horrible feeling, as alvena indicated, that the approval of the financial section of the aos interview is really going to depend on the official interviewing us.

thanks very much for any advice you can offer.

miss kate