Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 third party Affidavits, witness to the relationship

I-751 third party Affidavits, witness to the relationship

Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

RogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really nice
Default I-751 third party Affidavits, witness to the relationship

One of the documentation requirements on the I-751 was to send in two affidavits written by third parties who have personal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritial relationship.

What I did was download a generic sample of a witness affidavit off the internet then customized it towards the associate and how they knew our relationship. I typed it all up myself and left blanks for them to fill in there name, address, and signature, because I did not want to impose upon them by asking them to write out an 'essay' to create it. These associates of mine, like anybody else have busy lives, families and work full time, so I took care of the time consuming part. (in other words, the affidavits were not completely written by third parties, just filled in the blanks)

I then took these affidavits to my associates and explained what they were about, then drove them to a notary so that they and a notary can do the offical signing.
And these are what I sent in to the service center.

- Do you think that these affidavits will be acceptable?
-USCIS does not have an affidavit form that I was suppose to use do they?

Also on the instructions it says about the people that sign the affidavit... (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit).
What exactly does this mean? Are they going to send a letter to my associates to make them take off work, drive 3 hours each direction to the immigration field office just for a 3 minute interrogation about the affidavit they signed? Or would the officer be able to do it over the phone?

How often does one get called upon to testify?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 third party Affidavits, witness to the relationship

Originally Posted by RogerL9119
One of the documentation requirements on the I-751 was to send in two affidavits written by third parties who have personal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritial relationship.
Not actually required, but optional.

Do you think that these affidavits will be acceptable?
Most likely, yes.

USCIS does not have an affidavit form that I was suppose to use do they?
No.

Also on the instructions it says about the people that sign the affidavit... (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit).
[b] What exactly does this mean? Are they going to send a letter to my associates to make them take off work, drive 3 hours each direction to the immigration field office just for a 3 minute interrogation about the affidavit they signed? Or would the officer be able to do it over the phone?
Since it says "before an immigration officer", I would assume that to mean in person...but I suppose it can be done over the phone. It means that USCIS has the right to contact those people and ask them questions about what they said in the affidavit, either by phone or in person.

I've never heard of it happening on this forum in the past 5 years that I've been a member.

I have heard of the I-751 applicants being contacted by USCIS directly, to verify information. But I believe this was for an I-751 with waiver case, not a jointly filed I-751.

Rene
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

What I did was download a generic sample of a witness affidavit off the internet then customized it towards the associate and how they knew our relationship. I typed it all up myself and left blanks for them to fill in there name, address, and signature, because I did not want to impose upon them by asking them to write out an 'essay' to create it. These associates of mine, like anybody else have busy lives, families and work full time, so I took care of the time consuming part. (in other words, the affidavits were not completely written by third parties, just filled in the blanks)

I then took these affidavits to my associates and explained what they were about, then drove them to a notary so that they and a notary can do the offical signing.
And these are what I sent in to the service center.

- Do you think that these affidavits will be acceptable?
-USCIS does not have an affidavit form that I was suppose to use do they?

What exactly does this mean? Are they going to send a letter to my associates to make them take off work, drive 3 hours each direction to the immigration field office just for a 3 minute interrogation about the affidavit they signed? Or would the officer be able to do it over the phone?

Hi:

Please re-read the list of "suggested" items. To be honest, I think that a copy of the birth certificate of the kid and a picture of threesome with daddykins holding the child drooling over his shoulder will often suffice.

Also, those "affidavits" are often the weakest form of evidence. There is a difference of professional judgement on their use. I simply don't use them if there is strong evidence of a valid marriage.

Also, the law permits a "declaration" under penalty of perjury with what I call magic language and you then don't need the notary.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

One of the documentation requirements on the I-751 was to send in two affidavits...
These are *not* requirements.

Do you think that these affidavits will be acceptable?
Sure, they'll be acceptable... but doubtful that they'll help at all.

USCIS does not have an affidavit form that I was suppose to use do they?
No... because such affidavits are *not* a requirement.

In my 10+ years of following immigration newsgroups... never!

Ian
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is not a requirement but a suggestion. They did not have to be notarized. The signer only had to say something in the letter like I affirm that I have known ......