I-601 filing London

Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default I-601 filing London

WARNING: Don't make the mistake we made yesterday and arrive after 10am to complete an application!!! You will be sent home by a very 'no nonsense short English security man'!
Alas, more sucess today! I just got back home from London Embassy and wanted to update for anyone who has kept one eye on our progress.
We arrived just after 9am, waved our blue letter at the clipboard guy and went through the usual security checks. I had to go to the bathroom and calm myself because that place just turns my stomach over - it's just because I was so nervous!!!
We took the stairs to the right that lead's to the immigration visa side. We both went to booth 1 and handed in our blue letter that we had been given at the end of our AOS interview last time (July). We were then asked to hand in all our paperwork including the I-601 form. I pushed our carefully organised black file to the guy at the desk - a young English guy (think his tag said connelly) and he told us to take a seat. He walked off round the back with our file.
We were sitting there, just looking around whilst we waited and I spotted Dana (Consular Officer that dealt with us last time and told us we needed to file a waiver), which made me feel sick - no offence Dana - just nerves!! Mateo (one of the other Con Off's we saw last time) wasn't there (Doc Scrumpy? We didn't see Joel either so couldn't say hello).
About 10-15 minutes later The young English guy called us back up to booth 1 and asked us to make the payment of $195 at the cashires desk. That was the longest part. There was no-one there and we waited for 20 minutes to pay - very boring. Guess she was on a coffee break! We went back to the desk with the receipt and the young English guy gave us the file back. I was suprised as I thought he may have kept it but I noticed that it was a lot lighter but not empty! I looked through it and all of the family photographs we had included and what first 'looked' like all of our exhibits were still enclosed! I asked him 'Don't you want all the exhibits? - he said 'no the boss has taken everything he needs, it's fine' - so I just said 'oh okay as long as he's happy'. Another English guy then took my Husband and one other guy (an American) through a series of heavy security doors to a room with a basin and the finger printing stuff. They had all their fingerprints taken on both hands. This happened after he finished filling out the fingerprint card and they had seen the cashires receipt.
I waited about 5-10 minutes, chewed off 1 and half nails, went through every possible senario in my head, fidgitted a lot and that was it! We were done!!! I thought they were going to swear us in again and start firing the questions but nothing! The 2nd English guy just said 'that's it - you're free to go, we'll be in touch'.

On a second inspection of our file, once we had left I noticed they had taken all the character references and testimonies, our hardship statements, my Doctors letter, our fertility paperwork, both my sisters statements, my sons statement, but not our mortgage letter, or the copy of my Will or the adoption information - oh and I had put in a page stating our home and mobile telephone numbers (in the hope that it may encourage a call), which they took too.
So I guess, some things are more important than other's - like health over money when it comes to assessing hardship.
Now we are playing the waiting game!! I wonder what they do during the waiting time - I know they run FBI checks etc... but do you think they check the supporting evidence - i.e. will they call people to make sure they wrote the letters and we didn't make them up? (of course we only submitted genuine letters - theres no way we'd risk anything!). I am just nosey and want to know whats going on!! LOL I suppose they also look carefully at the crime comitted and decide how it translates into US law. Does anyone know - really interested to know?

After we left the Embassy, we sat in Grosvenor Square for a while - just to let our heads catch up - such a beautiful morning. We had a look at the September 11th Memorial that is being prepared for what I assume will be an official unveiling this September 11th? It's very lovely. It is inscribed 'Grief is the way we pay for love'.

Well... I've waffled enough. Keeping my fingers tightly crossed for all of us waiting for a decision on an I-601 )
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:52 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Why couldn't they tell you there and then! How frustrating! Wishing you lots of luck. When will you hear?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Why couldn't they tell you there and then! How frustrating! Wishing you lots of luck. When will you hear?

Hi Rockgurl

I have heard that it can take up to 8 weeks however I have also heard that it can be as quick as 3 weeks.... so we will be doing our best not to stare at the calendar and obsess TOO much over the next month or so and spend more time praying!!
Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

I just noticed... you didn't have to pay an $85.00 fingerprinting fee? We had to????? We also had to wait 30 minutes for the cashier... she was on her lunch break.

You were supposed to go up to "D" and harrass him about my case. LOL

Good luck! Here's to you hearing news closer to the 3 weeks. Also, the "bald" English guy told us sometimes they call, sometimes they write. He double checked to make sure the contact numbers were correct.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by BeachBunny
I just noticed... you didn't have to pay an $85.00 fingerprinting fee? We had to????? We also had to wait 30 minutes for the cashier... she was on her lunch break.

You were supposed to go up to "D" and harrass him about my case. LOL

Good luck! Here's to you hearing news closer to the 3 weeks. Also, the "bald" English guy told us sometimes they call, sometimes they write. He double checked to make sure the contact numbers were correct.
Sorry BB - 'D' was too busy grilling some other poor girl when I was there LOL
So let me see..... you would have paid $300+ dollars (I think $365 - awful memory!) for the AOS part right? Then you would have paid another $195 to file the I-601.... so are you saying that on TOP of that you had to pay $85 too???? Hmmmmm I thought the F/P fee was included. I've just been digging around in my handbag to find the receipt but it's not there. I'm pretty sure we just paid $195.

Yes lets hope all us 'London Embassy people' hear soon! I was reading that in South America it can take a year to have a decision on I-601!! Makes 8 weeks seem like a breeze!
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

factorus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rockgurl
i just noticed your moving to ct, where in ct? i used to live there.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 4:14 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by factorus
i just noticed your moving to ct, where in ct? i used to live there.
Hi factorus,

I was hoping to move to CT but that looks increasingly unlikely as I can't find a job in that area. My partner lives near Hartford which was where I was hoping to go. Had a job interview in Texas yesterday but I think I am going to turn it down. I don't want to be that far away. Where did you use to live in CT?