I-601 filing information

Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of
Default I-601 filing information

I have already contacted an immigration attorney as to the process, but the individual whom I wish to sponsor for GC (my father) is rather impatient.
When do I file this? The issue here is 2 previous CIMTs from the UK from over 30 years ago. Can I file this pre-emtively, before the consular processing even begins, after the I-130 has been approved?

Also, can we get the I-601 approved in one location and the consular processing at another? Dad is currently in the UK. Will process I-601 there as it is much faster. He may be moving to Canada shortly (dual citizen); Can he do CP in Canada with a london approved waiver?
Thanks

Last edited by BILDER; Jun 16th 2010 at 3:24 am.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-601 filing information

The I-601 can only be filed after the visa is denied. You can prepare the I-601 ahead of time, so your dad can take it to the visa interview with him. As soon as his visa gets denied, he can hand over the I-601 to the officer.

If he is moving to Canada and will be there permanently, instead of London, you can have the case transferred to Canada....but it will add on processing time for two reasons: 1) it takes time to physically transfer the file; and 2) Canada's backlog is worse than the UK.

Rene
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BILDER
... the individual whom I wish to sponsor for GC (my father) is rather impatient.
Excuse me? HE is impatient? He has no one to blame for this but himself. You are doing him a favor... and not only does he need to know that, he needs to know that you can change your mind in an instant and it's too bad for him.

My guess is he doesn't like not being in control of the situation and is projecting his anxiety onto you... however, that doesn't make it your anxiety.

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=ian-mstm;8636387]Excuse me? HE is impatient? He has no one to blame for this but himself. You are doing him a favor... and not only does he need to know that, he needs to know that you can change your mind in an instant and it's too bad for him.

My guess is he doesn't like not being in control of the situation and is projecting his anxiety onto you... however, that doesn't make it your anxiety.

Ian[/QUOTE

Ian and his words of deep insight! Well, he is not impatient to get the green card, he just wanted to know whether to file the I-601. I sent the question to the attorney, but he is away so I decided to post here. If you met him, you would know he is not impatient to get the green card, he just wanted to know what had to be processed.
Your guess is pretty inaccurate. We (my brother and I) both live in the United States, and want him to join us. He is very happy to live in Canada and in London, where he has beautiful homes and a lovely life. I am more anxious than he is in this matter. Since he will be coming to visit us in a few days' time, he just wanted to know what to file and what he could get started before coming here, so I could send everything to our attorney from here.

I hope that is enough information for you. You are sometimes helpful, despite always being a sanctimonious prick.