Wikiposts

i-485 filing and expired passport

Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

rununix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i-485 filing and expired passport

Hello,

I am currently an F-1 Student in the US married to an American.
I am almost ready to file my i-485. I have all the documents ready to be filed.

My passport has expired on the 23/02/05 and I have filed with the embassy to get it exchanged but I am still waiting on my passport.

My allowed stay in US will expire on 31/05/05.

1. i-485 only says a copy of a passport page with visa should be filed. What about the passport itself?

2. As soon as I file for I-485, can I still say in the country past my allowed stay.

Thanks.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of
Default Re: i-485 filing and expired passport

Originally Posted by rununix
Hello,

I am currently an F-1 Student in the US married to an American.
I am almost ready to file my i-485. I have all the documents ready to be filed.

My passport has expired on the 23/02/05 and I have filed with the embassy to get it exchanged but I am still waiting on my passport.

My allowed stay in US will expire on 31/05/05.

1. i-485 only says a copy of a passport page with visa should be filed. What about the passport itself?

2. As soon as I file for I-485, can I still say in the country past my allowed stay.

Thanks.

Hi

Hang onto your passport when you get it back with the new one. Just phot copy visa as asked

Once you file your I 485 you may stay in US until you get a decision. BUT if you wish to leave the US you must apply for advanced parole and get it approved BEFORE you leave the us, otherwise you will loose any right to the green card

The form you will need to fill in can be downloaded from www.ucsis.gov

Regards Sue