I-407 at port of entry

Old Nov 18th 2019, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Konnekt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-407 at port of entry

I want to file an I-407 (voluntary abandonment of LPR status), and consider doing it at a port of entry (airport) on my next visit to the US. In what status will I be admitted into the US after filing at the airport? (I don't need to apply for another status, such as VWP, before entering, right?)

In case it's relevant, my greencard expires shortly after the planned entry. Had it, and LPR status, since 2009.

Any information appreciated! (Preferably authoritative references, but anecdotes from people with personal experiences also welcome!)
Old Nov 18th 2019, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-407 at port of entry

What makes you think they will admit you to the US if you are relinquishing permanent residency and don't have any other basis (ESTA, visa) to be admitted as a nonimmigrant?
Old Nov 18th 2019, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They may parole you in.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 7:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Use the card to enter the US and then from the US complete the form and mail it back to the USCIS. Why take chances on being allowed to enter.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newacct
What makes you think they will admit you to the US if you are relinquishing permanent residency and don't have any other basis (ESTA, visa) to be admitted as a nonimmigrant?
Nothing! That's why I asked. Their webpage and the form itself mention the option of filing I-407 at port of entry, and I figured I wasn't eligible for ESTA as long as I still have the greencard. For the option to make sense, I figured perhaps the filing does not take effect immediately?

Now that filing at the embassy is no longer an option, it seems that port of entry is the only in-person option?
Old Nov 18th 2019, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Use the card to enter the US and then from the US complete the form and mail it back to the USCIS. Why take chances on being allowed to enter.
I was worried about the mail being lost, and thounght in-person filing would be preferable. Possibly a misconception. Another option is filing by mail from outside the US, then postpone this particular trip until I receive confirmation. (But then what do I do if I never hear back?)
Old Nov 18th 2019, 9:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I would mail out the I-407 now and then apply for ESTA so you can travel on the VWP by the time of your trip. Don't expect a confirmation on the I-407, just keep a photocopy of what you mail out, and the date.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2019, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I would mail out the I-407 now and then apply for ESTA so you can travel on the VWP by the time of your trip. Don't expect a confirmation on the I-407, just keep a photocopy of what you mail out, and the date.

Rene
Ok, so perhaps filing at port of entry is just not a good idea. May I ask if this is based on first hand knowledge or just a hunch? (Both are appreciated!)

Any advice for how long I should wait from mailing till applying for ESTA, if I mail from outside the US? (Europe / UK, say)
Old Nov 18th 2019, 10:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It based on posts I've read on here, no personal experience, sorry.

Since you probably won't get an acknowledgment from USCIS, I'd say you can apply for ESTA soon after sending the I-407.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Why not file the abandonment at the airport on the way out of the US? Seems to tick both boxes.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
According to the instructions, you can only file the form if you are outside the US or at a port of entry, or were admitted to the US as a nonimmigrant or paroled in. You cannot file it if you are in the US and admitted as a permanent resident.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Konnekt
Nothing! That's why I asked. Their webpage and the form itself mention the option of filing I-407 at port of entry, and I figured I wasn't eligible for ESTA as long as I still have the greencard. For the option to make sense, I figured perhaps the filing does not take effect immediately?

Now that filing at the embassy is no longer an option, it seems that port of entry is the only in-person option?
I think filing it at a port of entry is usually when the officer refuses to admit you as a permanent resident because you have been out for more than 1 year and they think you have abandoned residence, where they will pressure you to sign I-407 to voluntarily give up your green card (otherwise they would put you in removal proceedings to revoke your green card). But even if you voluntarily sign I-407 to give up your green card, there is no guarantee they will admit you as a nonimmigrant or parole you in; they can still have you sent back.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Why not file the abandonment at the airport on the way out of the US? Seems to tick both boxes.
I don't think I'll pass by a port of entry on my way out. I guess I could mail it just before leaving, but then I might as well mail it from outside.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newacct
I think filing it at a port of entry is usually when the officer refuses to admit you as a permanent resident because you have been out for more than 1 year and they think you have abandoned residence, where they will pressure you to sign I-407 to voluntarily give up your green card (otherwise they would put you in removal proceedings to revoke your green card). But even if you voluntarily sign I-407 to give up your green card, there is no guarantee they will admit you as a nonimmigrant or parole you in; they can still have you sent back.
Ok, thanks for the input. That is exactly why I thought the port of entry option sounded strange. Guess it makes sense if it's really for people pressured to do it.

Probably what I'll do is send it by certified mail from outside the US. They say processing time is 60 days, so I'll apply for VWP after that and see what happens.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind this was a number of years ago and I was living in Canada at the time. I sent my green card to where ever and applied for ESTA the same day. I kept a copy of the form relinquishing the card. I have never received confirmation that the card was received. But that trip was the first time I wasn't questioned about my green card status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.