I-407 Abandon Green Card question

Old Jul 5th 2004, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Horizon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-407 Abandon Green Card question

I am considering abandoning my GC - what date should I put for line 6c on I-407 - date of abandonment? When my Permit to Reenter expired?

Any help appreciated.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:37 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-407 Abandon Green Card question

Originally posted by Horizon
I am considering abandoning my GC - what date should I put for line 6c on I-407 - date of abandonment? When my Permit to Reenter expired?

Any help appreciated.
There's also a box for "I have abandoned" or "I am abandoning" my permanent resident status.

If you check "I am abandoning" then it would be the date you file the I-407.

In the box where you write why you are abandoning, put "because I have not resided in the United States since _______. Include the other reasons why you don't live in the US anymore like family etc.

Where do you plan to file the form? I believe you can complete it at the consulate.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by crg14624
There's also a box for "I have abandoned" or "I am abandoning" my permanent resident status.

If you check "I am abandoning" then it would be the date you file the I-407.

In the box where you write why you are abandoning, put "because I have not resided in the United States since _______. Include the other reasons why you don't live in the US anymore like family etc.

Where do you plan to file the form? I believe you can complete it at the consulate.
Thanks. I'm in UK and can just mail in to the US Embassy in London apparently.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 3:57 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Horizon
Thanks. I'm in UK and can just mail in to the US Embassy in London apparently.
Does the form say you can mail it in? I think they usually take a sworn statement to go with the I-407.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by crg14624
Does the form say you can mail it in? I think they usually take a sworn statement to go with the I-407.
Yes - mail it in with a stamped addressed envelope and they do their bit and send a copy back in said envelope. Check out the US Embassy London website. I guess they want to make it as easy as possible.

You do have to sign in 6(e) and say you agree with the comments in 6(d) before you can read the comments though!