Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-313 AP - Travelling abroad with L1 visa - lawyer charge $1000

I-313 AP - Travelling abroad with L1 visa - lawyer charge $1000

Old Jan 23rd 2024, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-313 AP - Travelling abroad with L1 visa - lawyer charge $1000

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
What do you mean by “official source?” I am very well aware that there is often different legal sources. You are very aware of the I-131 instructions inasmuch as you have post the link and quoted therefrom. Pursuant the regulation at 8 CFR 103.2(a), the instructions are to be considered as part of the regulations. (I have long felt that provision to be an end around the normal notice and comment requirement for promulgation of regulations when used for a substantive change.)
Alas - in that case the instructions only refer to the i485 application and not the application I-131 being preserved during international travel. Therefore, I think we can all agree that a new application is required after re-entry?

3. d. If you depart from the United States before the Advance Parole Document is issued, your application for an Advance Parole Document will be considered abandoned.
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...i-131instr.pdf
Old Jan 24th 2024, 9:31 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
Alas - in that case the instructions only refer to the i485 application and not the application I-131 being preserved during international travel. Therefore, I think we can all agree that a new application is required after re-entry?

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...i-131instr.pdf
<sigh>

Sad to say, you are misinterpreting the information. But then, it is common with a novice in speaking the language of immigration.
Old Jan 25th 2024, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
<sigh>

Sad to say, you are misinterpreting the information. But then, it is common with a novice in speaking the language of immigration.
Do you plan to share any insight for us mere mortals? Or are we just to carry on with a vague feeling that "something is wrong"?

For me, if the instructions are to be believed, it's pretty clear that any I-131 application will be denied, even if the underlying I-485 is protected by dual intent.
Old Mar 13th 2024, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Connor1518 is an unknown quantity at this point

postbox134 out of the blue this week, my I-131 is listed as approved on my USCIS account page, didnt do the resub as we had discussed on this thread, just left it to chance.

So I am not counting my chickens just yet, but it seems like common sense maybe prevails and they just process and dont create more work for themselves

Hope your applicaiton is progressing well
Old Mar 13th 2024, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Connor1518
postbox134 out of the blue this week, my I-131 is listed as approved on my USCIS account page, didnt do the resub as we had discussed on this thread, just left it to chance.

So I am not counting my chickens just yet, but it seems like common sense maybe prevails and they just process and dont create more work for themselves

Hope your applicaiton is progressing well
Thanks for the update. I got my EAD last week but it is not a combo - only EAD. The lawyers at work said that was because I left (?). Nothing on both my I-131 applications, they are just sat there 'fingerprints taken'. I am concerned about the fee increase April 1st if I have to apply again it'll cost me, or I just wait for the GC. I have until November 2024 on my L1 if I renew as I intend to in London in June.
Old Mar 13th 2024, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Connor1518 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by postbox134
Thanks for the update. I got my EAD last week but it is not a combo - only EAD. The lawyers at work said that was because I left (?). Nothing on both my I-131 applications, they are just sat there 'fingerprints taken'. I am concerned about the fee increase April 1st if I have to apply again it'll cost me, or I just wait for the GC. I have until November 2024 on my L1 if I renew as I intend to in London in June.
Good stuff on the EAD, I got the "approved" notice on mine at the end of last week, but not in hand yet, so the 131 approval was only a few days behind.

Weird comment from your lawyers, shows how unclear/inconsistent it is, granted every case is different.

All the best