British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   I-140 approved, time for I-485 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/i-140-approved-time-i-485-a-764480/)

ruin3d Jul 10th 2012 7:17 am

I-140 approved, time for I-485

Hey guys

I received my I-140 card today with a year on it and carried out my biometrics a few weeks ago. My I-485 form was filed the same time as the I-140.

Roughly how long does the I-485 normally take to come through after a I-140 is received.

Also what is the deal with international travel? I have a L1A visa with two years on it but not sure if that still counts now i have the I-140.

My card isn't the combo card with travel authorization so i wanted to be careful incase my visa was nullified by the process.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

zerlesen Jul 10th 2012 9:54 am

Re: I-140 approved, time for I-485

Originally Posted by ruin3d (Post 10163803)
I received my I-140 card today with a year on it and carried out my biometrics a few weeks ago. My I-485 form was filed the same time as the I-140.

It sounds like you mean that you received an EAD?

Roughly how long does the I-485 normally take to come through after a I-140 is received.
Even within a preference category it varies, sometimes substantially. The first thing to look at, though, is which category you're in, as your I-485 won't be approved until your priority date is current. Unfortunately, unless you're in the EB1 category, this means you have a bit of a wait. If you're in EB2 availability should resume in October - unless the current iteration of HR 3012 passes Congress, in which case all bets are off.

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked at your post history and apparently you're in EB1-3, which is a good way to be. In a perfect world they aim to process I-485s in four months or so.

Also what is the deal with international travel? I have a L1A visa with two years on it but not sure if that still counts now i have the I-140.
If you're still working at the L1A job (and aren't specifically using the EAD to do so) then the L1A is still good and you can use it to travel. Once you use the EAD to work, you would need advance parole in order to leave the US without abandoning your I-485.

texasjan Jul 10th 2012 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ruin3d (Post 10163803)
Hey guys

My card isn't the combo card with travel authorization so i wanted to be careful incase my visa was nullified by the process.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

I485 was received 7 weeks after I140, but less than 4 months in total ! (have spent more time doing the tax return lol)

ruin3d Jul 10th 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I am still working in the job i got my L1A for and the L1A doesn't expire for around 2 years.

According to the USCIS status website that i just checked my Greencard has been ordered for production (yesterday)

Excuse the repeated question. But i just want to make 100% sure i can travel back to the UK at the end of this month and that my L1A doesn't get canceled or anything like that while the Greencard is being produced?

Thanks again guys, you are an invaluablke source of information!

ian-mstm Jul 10th 2012 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by ruin3d (Post 10165054)
According to the USCIS status website that i just checked my Greencard has been ordered for production (yesterday). ... i just want to make 100% sure i can travel back to the UK at the end of this month and that my L1A doesn't get canceled or anything like that while the Greencard is being produced?

I don't think you're going to like this... but if, in fact, your GC is in production, then your I-485 has been approved. Ergo, you are - right now - a US permanent resident even though you don't yet have the proof (= GC). Your status as a PR supersedes any visa you have. If your GC hasn't arrived in the mail in the next week or so, you'll need to make an InfoPass appointment to get an I-551 stamp in your passport. Your L-1A won't get cancelled... but it is probably already invalid whether or not it's expired.

Ian

zerlesen Jul 10th 2012 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by ruin3d (Post 10165054)
According to the USCIS status website that i just checked my Greencard has been ordered for production (yesterday)

Excuse the repeated question. But i just want to make 100% sure i can travel back to the UK at the end of this month and that my L1A doesn't get canceled or anything like that while the Greencard is being produced?

Congratulations! As Ian says, CPO is something that happens after the I-485 is approved. So you're an LPR, which means that your L visa is now irrelevant and should not be used for anything. (It's for nonresidents; as of yesterday, you are a resident.)

You should receive the physical card in about a week. If not - again to cover the same ground as Ian - you can schedule an Infopass and get the temporary stamp, or you can also leave without it and have someone mail the card to you in the UK (perhaps riskier). Either way, keep track of the dates you exit and re-enter the US.

EDIT: Another thought: when you get the green card don't forget to update your I-9 at work with your new status.

ruin3d Jul 14th 2012 2:13 am

Thanks for all your help guys, got my final Green Card in the mail today.

A lot faster than i expected, i had a May 7 priority date and the final card was issued on July 7 so it took 2 months exactly from receipt of application