Wikiposts

I-131 Question

Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:25 am
Just Joined

kesodo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-131 Question

I was out of the US for 11 months, on return I was given a verbal warning. USCIS says that I do not need to file for a 1-131 and my attorney says I do - I will be out of for 3 months of next year Feb-Mar-Apr.

My question is that I am also returning to the UK in 5 days, and will be back in the US in 2 weeks. If I file a I131 what address do I use as where it should be delivered - clearly from reading this forum it isnt going to be done in less than one month.

If I do file a 131 and come back as intended around Dec 27th will this affect my re-entry? Will they say that I shouldnt have filed or will my green card allow re-entry.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-131 Question

Originally Posted by kesodo
My question is that I am also returning to the UK in 5 days, and will be back in the US in 2 weeks. If I file a I131 what address do I use as where it should be delivered - clearly from reading this forum it isnt going to be done in less than one month.
You can use your US mailing address.

Rene
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497535
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can use your US mailing address.

Rene
Thanks!! But just to be clear ... I apply for the Visa, I use my home address and it does not matter that it may not have been processed by the time I get back (two weeks from now or so)?

It's more of the case that I have applied for it?

So I won't get asked any questions when I return? Should I tell the immigration official when i return that I applied .. or will he already know that?

Thanks.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!! But just to be clear ... I apply for the Visa....
No, you don't apply for a visa.

...I use my home address and it does not matter that it may not have been processed by the time I get back (two weeks from now or so)?
Right.

It's more of the case that I have applied for it?
Applying helps show that you do not intend to abandon your PR status.

So I won't get asked any questions when I return?
I have no idea if you'll be asked questions when you return. Only the POE officer knows the answer to that one.

Should I tell the immigration official when i return that I applied .. or will he already know that?
General rule of thumb at the POE is only answer the questions asked, and don't volunteer extra information. Also, never lie.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 11th 2007 at 9:46 am.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:46 am

If you are the same person as "FarFromEarth", I take it you didn't see a lawyer as everyone suggested?

Rene
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:52 am
Just Joined

If you are the same person as "FarFromEarth", I take it you didn't see a lawyer as everyone suggested?

Rene
Actually I talked to 2 lawyers, one who suggested I file and one who suggested that I did not.

After discussing the situation with my wife, I decided to apply for the re-entry permit.

All I am asking is can I just apply before I leave, use my home address and then fly back in. And will I be protected?

Sorry for the confusion, it has been a difficult year and I am totally stressed out.

Thanks,
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:56 am

All I am asking is can I just apply before I leave, use my home address and then fly back in.
Yes, you can do this.

And will I be protected?
As long as you claim to be a PR upon entry to the USA, even if the POE officer thinks otherwise, you will be allowed to enter the USA and await a hearing with an immigration judge who will make the final decision. Where you are kept during the waiting period, I'm not sure.

Rene
Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Yes, you can do this.

As long as you claim to be a PR upon entry to the USA, even if the POE officer thinks otherwise, you will be allowed to enter the USA and await a hearing with an immigration judge who will make the final decision. Where you are kept during the waiting period, I'm not sure.

Rene
Thank you .. I have to say your reply freaked me out somewhat.

Hearing .. what hearing are referring too? And is this because I applied for a re-entry permit or because I was out before for 11 months.

Thanks.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:04 am

Thank you .. I have to say your reply freaked me out somewhat.

Hearing .. what hearing are referring too? And is this because I applied for a re-entry permit or because I was out before for 11 months.

Thanks.
If the POE officer decides for whatever reason that you have been out too long and thinks you are no longer a PR, he will allow you in the USA anyway, but you will eventually see an Immigration Judge who will make the final determination.

Rene
Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:07 am
Just Joined

If the POE officer decides for whatever reason that you have been out too long and thinks you are no longer a PR, he will allow you in the USA anyway, but you will eventually see an Immigration Judge who will make the final determination.

Rene
Thank you Would I be right in assuming that this would be a 'fair' hearing - i.e. actually taking into account circumstances, etc?
Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:19 am

Thank you Would I be right in assuming that this would be a 'fair' hearing - i.e. actually taking into account circumstances, etc?
I've never been to one of those hearings, I have no idea what takes place. I would definitely take a lawyer with me to that hearing, though.

Rene
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Would I be right in assuming that this would be a 'fair' hearing - i.e. actually taking into account circumstances, etc?
I wouldn't make that assumption, but it *should* be a 'fair' hearing.

Ian