I-130 information

Old Feb 25th 2021, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 information

Originally Posted by SpookieJr
hi, no sorry I should have been clearer, the course I’m on is a 4 year MMath undergraduate course, the typical length of a bachelors degree here is 3 years so me doing an extra year gives me a masters degree instead.
The main issue regarding studying in the United States is the fees involved. Myself and my family are unable to pay for the prices that the universities put on their degrees. I’m unsure about funding options because each university is different.
What is the GRE requirement?
Okay, thanks for the explanation.

At the risk of being nosy, what exactly is it you plan to do when you get to the US? Do you have a career path in mind? Depending on the field, that may offer its own employment-based visa pathway (though, that would be unlikely for a fresh graduate).

Do you have any interest in further study? As I mentioned, there are many affordable avenues to a PhD in the US. And yes, costs will be different at every school -- welcome to the United States! Just wait until you see the health "system"... That just means you have to do your research.

The GRE is a standardized test, which has general and subject-specific versions. The scores from one/both are usually required to apply to grad school in the US. Like most standardized tests, it's an obnoxious money-spinner. You get no real academic benefit, but you need to pay through the nose for the privilege of jumping through some hoops. For many, it can be a hurdle to applying at all (it is why I didn't). Mercifully, grad programs are starting to drop it in increasing numbers, since it's not a particularly good indicator of success anyway.

I know you're thinking hard about the visa---it is a big factor, after all---but I would encourage you to give some thought to what might be on the other side. A lot of family-based immigration involves couples, and we see time and again on here that it can be very hard for the foreign spouse to gain a foothold in the workforce/socially. You don't want to land yourself in the same situation, where you are just relying on your parents. If you can line up a job, or further studies, you would be laying the foundation for starting a life here. Not to mention, potentially opening pathways until a visa number became available.

I came over as a maths postdoc, btw, if you're wondering why someone who clearly has nothing to say about your I-130 is commenting
Old Feb 25th 2021, 4:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

could you give me more details regarding the I-817 form? Am I eligible to have that one submitted as well?
I am trying to think how any of the issues covered by the I-817 could possibly apply to your situation.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

could you give me more details regarding the I-817 form? Am I eligible to have that one submitted as well?
If you click on the link given you for the I-817, and then click on Instructions, half way down the page it gives details of how one is eligible to apply uner the 'Life Act' (which is what this form is all about)
Old Feb 27th 2021, 2:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. That question strikes me as coming from left field.

That said, the mention of I-817 reinforces my notation that one should act to maximize flexibility to account for changes in law or circumstances in the future before visa issuance.

Old Feb 27th 2021, 9:55 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Visa availability can go all over the place - it can shorten or lengthen. The law can change. A long time ago I litigated a case where visa availability (under prior system) alternated between cut-off availability and total UNavailability. See Olivares v INS. The curious thing in Olivares was that nobody could explain the visa number alchemy within the visa office therefore nobody could object to the magic involved.

I know this makes it hard to plan. The reason I suggest legal consultation is to maximize flexibility and provide for the shortest, albeit indeterminate, waiting/processing time.