Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How you can have a simple case, do everything perfect, and INS still screw you over!

How you can have a simple case, do everything perfect, and INS still screw you over!

Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:58 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How you can have a simple case, do everything perfect, and INS still screw you over!

Originally Posted by Jana
Update on our situation:

First thanks to everyone who was supportive during this whole thing. It was a big help. So this is what happened. The Thursday that the INS was supposed to call us came and went with no phone call. On Friday I had Marc call the national customer service center. The Customer Service representative said that Atlanta was completely wrong in sending us away without any kind of processing and added that Atlanta "has a reputation of this". She forwarded my husband to an immigration officer. After my husband ask all his questions I got on the phone with her. Let me say that this was the nicest person in the INS. She was thoughtful and caring about our situation and completely felt for us. She was appauled when I told her some of the things the Atlanta office told us (like when I told them I had drove four hours to be there they said "well you will just have to drive four hours back") She said that it was (quote) "highly unlikely" the Atlanta office would be calling us back. She suggested we make another appointment and go back down there. So I looked online and the earliest appointment I could schedule was November 1st, 2 weeks away. Marc went in this morning to talk to his boss but he was in a meeting. So I went in to work and was talking to Marc on the phone discussing how we were going to deal with the situation. While I was on the phone with him I popped his MSC number into the online case status. I was shocked to see APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were so happy. I cancelled the Atlanta appointment and told Marc to call work and tell him he was going in tomorrow. We are so glad his boss wasn't available this morning or he might have quit his job for nothing!

I know its unlikely but I wonder if the nice immigration officer followed up on our case out of kindness. Regardless, I am going to contact INS and tell them what a wonderful Immigration Officer they have in Officer Simon. She also provided me with an address for the USCIS Internal Audits Department and strongly encouraged me to write them and tell them how I was treated at Atlanta.

One more year Atlantaless yay! (unless we get our green card interview...they have picked up the pace lately)

Although for us Atlanta was fine with dealing with them for an interim EAD, their AOS processing record is why we chose to go back to the UK for the Immigrant visa. Congrats on a happy ending, .
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How you can have a simple case, do everything perfect, and INS still screw you over!

Yay!!!!!! Congrats to you and Marc!!!!
That was very close but you made it thru cuz of Officer Simon....I wonder if my husband can request to talk to him when he calls the misinformation line again...of course they're always rude to him.....hehehe
He's an angel in the middle of all the dark angels :-)
Gald to hear such a happy ending!!!!!
Rukhie
Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Congrats. It is such a horrid process. They do have the ability to destroy life as you know it.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:31 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How you can have a simple case, do everything perfect, and INS still screw you ov

Originally Posted by Jana
She also provided me with an address for the USCIS Internal Audits Department and strongly encouraged me to write them and tell them how I was treated at Atlanta.
What address did they give you for the USCIS Internal Audits Department? Might come in handy!

Marnee
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How you can have a simple case, do everything perfect, and INS still screw you ov

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
What address did they give you for the USCIS Internal Audits Department? Might come in handy!

Marnee
I know its probably silly but I am unsure if I should post the address itself here. Oh well, better safe than sorry. I did however find it on the USCIS website. Click the link below and the address is near the bottom under "Customer Feedback"

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffic...ta/aboutus.htm
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan

Marnee

It's readily available on the CIS website. We used it. Nothing to fear there.

Rete
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It's readily available on the CIS website. We used it. Nothing to fear there.

Rete

PS the complaint form is here:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-847.htm