Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How soon can I be sponsored for a Green Card?

How soon can I be sponsored for a Green Card?

Old Aug 1st 2019, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

floridamum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How soon can I be sponsored for a Green Card?

I’m living in the US on an E-2 visa.

My English-born son, who's been in the US for 15 years on a different visa, is due to be sworn in as a US citizen at a ceremony by the end of August – he had a successful interview today. My question is - is there a waiting period once he’s officially a US citizen before he can begin the process to sponsor me for a Green Card?

My E-2 visa is valid for another four years but it seems logical to get the Green Card application process underway as soon as possible - just not sure how soon that can be.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 12:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How soon can I be sponsored for a Green Card?

Originally Posted by floridamum
I’m living in the US on an E-2 visa.

My English-born son, who's been in the US for 15 years on a different visa, is due to be sworn in as a US citizen at a ceremony by the end of August – he had a successful interview today. My question is - is there a waiting period once he’s officially a US citizen before he can begin the process to sponsor me for a Green Card?

My E-2 visa is valid for another four years but it seems logical to get the Green Card application process underway as soon as possible - just not sure how soon that can be.

Thanks in advance for any advice
He isn’t a USC until after the oath ceremony. After that he can sponsor you.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floridamum
My question is - is there a waiting period once he’s officially a US citizen before he can begin the process to sponsor me for a Green Card?
No, as soon as he's taken the oath he can petition for you.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 3:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How old is he?
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 11:27 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As long as he is over the age of 21, he can sponsor you when he has his Naturalization certificate in his hand.

If he isn't yet 21, he can't until he turns so.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 2:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
As long as he is over the age of 21, he can sponsor you when he has his Naturalization certificate in his hand.

If he isn't yet 21, he can't until he turns so.

PS If he is only 18, you still have 3 years to wait for him to file for you. You have a visa which allows you to remain in the US for another 4 years so you are safe to remain here until his 21st birthday.

Once he files for you when he is 21, you are again in a status known as "pending adjustment of status". You will have applied for your adjustment of status at the same time that he files the I-130 for you. Do NOT do them separately. Along with the I-485 you will file for the Employment Authorization Document and Advanced Parole. (They are included in the fee for the I-485).

Last edited by Rete; Aug 2nd 2019 at 2:48 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 9:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

PS If he is only 18, you still have 3 years to wait for him to file for you. You have a visa which allows you to remain in the US for another 4 years so you are safe to remain here until his 21st birthday.
where does it say he is only 18?
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 12:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=petitefrancaise;12718147]
Originally Posted by Rete

where does it say he is only 18?
If you had read the post before mine from civilservant you would have seen that he mentioned if the child were under 21. Age 18 is the age that he becomes eligible to apply for naturalization. Sponsoring of a parent cannot occur until the naturalized citizen is 21, hence my insertion of her having to wait until he reached 21 to file for her permanent resident while she validly remained in the US and ........

There is absolutely no harm in expanding the information thus provided.

Last edited by Rete; Aug 3rd 2019 at 12:30 am.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

floridamum is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for clarification, my son is in his 30s, so we'll get started as soon as we can. Thank you all for your time and advice.

I have been in the US for just over 10 years on an E-2 visa during which I've had three renewals in London. I will not miss that at all!