How Soon can I go to SS Office?

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold
Default How Soon can I go to SS Office?

Hi Folks,

My flight got in On Friday afternoon, how soon can I got to the Social security office and put in my application/receive a temporary number? Would tomorrow (Tuesday) morning be OK?

T0he office is kind of far and I don't have a car so I don't wanna schlep all the way out there only to be turned away.

Many thanks!
AR
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Soon can I go to SS Office?

Originally Posted by agentred
Hi Folks,

My flight got in On Friday afternoon, how soon can I got to the Social security office and put in my application/receive a temporary number? Would tomorrow (Tuesday) morning be OK?

T0he office is kind of far and I don't have a car so I don't wanna schlep all the way out there only to be turned away.

Many thanks!
AR
There is no temp number ....give it about a week after arrival ...

get the form SS5 of the net
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
There is no temp number ....give it about a week after arrival ...

get the form SS5 of the net
A week?!?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

A week?!?
Yes, I'd wait about 7 to 10 days after your arrival, before trying to apply for your SS card. SS has to wait until your name clears in the system them use to verify your status here (SAVE system). It doesn't do any good to go in before your name and status shows up on their system.

The SS number and card you receive is not temporary, it's permanent.

Rene
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:41 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you can go straight away - but like its said above your name will unlikely be on the system so they wont be able to process it on the spot. They will therefore 'hold onto' the application and then check periodically to see if it can be put in yet. However - how diligently they would check i cant say. If you wait the 7-10 days then you will be able to see them input the application in front of you and get a receipt and KNOW its in the system. You can then return the next day if you chose and get a paper printout of the number - or simply wait for the proper card to arrive.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks,

Many thanks!
AR
I believe, and if I am wrong I will hear from the Big Giant Head, that you can go in anytime from tomorrow on and put in your application.

You can go back 2 or three business days later to get the number (but not the card).

Non-immigrants (other than Ks) seem to get entered in the system a lot faster than immigrants.

SAVE Verification Process

I'll send Mike an email to confirm this... you have come with an H-1B, correct?

I've been meaning to get to the bottom of this with current policy anyway.
Sucks for you you've landed in a holiday week.

I know it's good sense to get the number ASAP but is there something particular you have in mind that you need it for?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OK, forget it, I was wrong.

SSA still recommends you wait 10 days for best processing success, and someone with boots on the ground agrees.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html

That said, I seem to read more and more stories of earlier success.

It's a crap shoot, and most things can be accomplished initially without the number.

AR: let us know if there's something specific we could help you problem solve w/out the number (except for a driver's license. If your state requires an SSN, you just have to wait).
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Hi Folks,

Many thanks!
AR
Hi

We got here a month ago with my hubbys L1 visa (i am L2). Hubby waited 10 days (not working days just 10 days) from the day we arrived then went down to the local SSN office with all his docs. Filled in the form and within a week we had it back. His work paid him by cheque in the meantime so that he could still be paid. I, however, have to wait until my EAD comes through before i can get mine, but their is light at the end of the tunnel as i have my biometrics interview in Dec so hopefully not long after i will have my EAD, then i can get my SSN. Thankfully it hasnt stopped me from getting a driving licence here in VA which is a blessing, i now feel sort of part of it all.

Good luck with it all though and stick it out. Just make sure you have all the docs with you and dont go down too soon, you will still end up waiting the same length of time potentially

T
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
AR: let us know if there's something specific we could help you problem solve w/out the number (except for a driver's license. If your state requires an SSN, you just have to wait).
Hey thank you.

I need it for my drivers license and the sooner I get that the sooner I can cut back on the hassle and expense of taxis.

Will wait until next week and hope the holiday doesn't throw timing off too much.

Have a happy holiday!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:05 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buckers
Hi

We got here a month ago with my hubbys L1 visa (i am L2). Hubby waited 10 days (not working days just 10 days) from the day we arrived then went down to the local SSN office with all his docs. Filled in the form and within a week we had it back. His work paid him by cheque in the meantime so that he could still be paid. I, however, have to wait until my EAD comes through before i can get mine, but their is light at the end of the tunnel as i have my biometrics interview in Dec so hopefully not long after i will have my EAD, then i can get my SSN. Thankfully it hasnt stopped me from getting a driving licence here in VA which is a blessing, i now feel sort of part of it all.

Good luck with it all though and stick it out. Just make sure you have all the docs with you and dont go down too soon, you will still end up waiting the same length of time potentially

T
you dont need to wait for an EAD - i got my ssn 18 months before i got around to getting my EAD. Just take your marriage cert, passport/visa etc and you are good to go.

source
https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203600
specifically this sentence:

When an alien listed below has an (**) next to the description he/she may work only when either DHS grants employment authorization and issues an EAD OR the person presents, in addition to an I-94 showing an E-1, E-2, or L-2 classification of admission code, evidence he/she is the spouse of the principal E-1, E-2 or L-1 alien.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MsElui
you dont need to wait for an EAD - i got my ssn 18 months before i got around to getting my EAD. Just take your marriage cert, passport/visa etc and you are good to go.
I concur with this...my missus (L2) was able to apply for an SSN by producing our marriage certificate. Of course the fact that someone had her in the system as being here on a B2 rather than an L2 threw a spanner in the works, but that's another story...
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:53 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey thank you.

I need it for my drivers license and the sooner I get that the sooner I can cut back on the hassle and expense of taxis.

Will wait until next week and hope the holiday doesn't throw timing off too much.

Have a happy holiday!
Why can't you drive on your UK license? (perhaps you've covered this in another thread)
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Why can't you drive on your UK license? (perhaps you've covered this in another thread)
Ah I can but I'm under 25 so rental car rates basically double (75 a day vs. $40 for cabs). My boss offered to let me drive his car but I'm worried I'll crash it so that's a very last resort
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TheCynick
I concur with this...my missus (L2) was able to apply for an SSN by producing our marriage certificate. Of course the fact that someone had her in the system as being here on a B2 rather than an L2 threw a spanner in the works, but that's another story...
Hi

If only, i took our marriage cert, my birth cert, my passport with my visa, something to prove where i lived etc etc and they would not even look at the form unless i had my EAD and we checked with other offices and they gave the same answer so for those who on a L2 managed to get their SSN without an EAD - i am so jealous and well done. but not to be for me - maybe the lady in Manassas was having a bad day!!!!

T
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:07 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

print out the social security rules (link i posted) from their own website and take them in!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.