Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How Soon Can I Book an Interview at the Embassy?

How Soon Can I Book an Interview at the Embassy?

Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold
Default How Soon Can I Book an Interview at the Embassy?

Hey Everyone

Thanks to all your help and suggestions I've just had my I-129 petition for an H1-B approved

Now I need to book the visa stamping/interview at the London embassy. Since the decision was approved on Wednesday the 23rd, can I book an interview for Friday the 2nd? Does that leave enough time for the I-797 form to reach me?

My lawyer cautiously advised Friday and I figure: the USCIS ships the I-797 on Thursday or Friday. It arrives at my lawyer's on Monday or Tuesday. He ships it to me via overnight FedEx, it arrives by Tuesday or Wednesday. That leaves one or two days worth of wriggle room in case there are delays. Does that sound right?

I know there are older threads but could any of the lawyers on the board advise how quickly they've been getting the I-797s recently? It was processed at the Vermont center...

Many thanks for your replies,

AR

Last edited by agentred; Sep 24th 2009 at 2:10 am.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default Re: How Soon Can I Book an Interview at the Embassy?

Hi

Im not a lawyer, but can tell you of our experience, well OH's business partner, his I-129 (H1B) petition was approved last Wednesday 16th September, and he recieved the docs via fedex on Monday 21st. This was done through the California service center

Hope this helps a bit
Sarah

PS: Sorry forgot to say Congratulations, we are waiting for our I-129 (H1B) petition to be approved, im checking the website all day! How long did yours take to be approved? Ours went in last Wednesday with premium processing, our business partners went in on 9th and was approved on 16th with prem proc.

Last edited by sarahlou145; Sep 24th 2009 at 9:11 am. Reason: adding additional info
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:48 am
Just Joined

orudge is on a distinguished road

My I-129 petition was approved by USCIS last Monday (California Service Center), the docs arrived at the lawyer by this Monday I believe. She scanned and sent me a copy of the approval notice, and I called up the embassy on Monday night, and got an appointment for 9am yesterday. Arrived at the embassy, they almost immediately took my documents. A wait of half an hour or so before the interview (which consisted of one question), and then my visa was approved! All in all, a very straightforward process, and I'm flying out on the 13th.

Note that I took the scanned copy of the approval notice (which the web site says is OK). You may want to wait to get the proper copy, plus any other paperwork, in case they ask for it - in my case though, this wasn't an issue.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Quick question which you may know depending if you are married or not.
My husband is applying for the H1B so i will be going out on a H4, when he goes for his interview do i go too, and we both get the visas at the same time? or do i have a separate interview?

Where are you both going to in the US? We are heading to San Francisco all being well with the visas
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agentred
Hey Everyone

Thanks to all your help and suggestions I've just had my I-129 petition for an H1-B approved

Now I need to book the visa stamping/interview at the London embassy. Since the decision was approved on Wednesday the 23rd, can I book an interview for Friday the 2nd? Does that leave enough time for the I-797 form to reach me?

My lawyer cautiously advised Friday and I figure: the USCIS ships the I-797 on Thursday or Friday. It arrives at my lawyer's on Monday or Tuesday. He ships it to me via overnight FedEx, it arrives by Tuesday or Wednesday. That leaves one or two days worth of wriggle room in case there are delays. Does that sound right?

I know there are older threads but could any of the lawyers on the board advise how quickly they've been getting the I-797s recently? It was processed at the Vermont center...

Many thanks for your replies,

AR
On same schedule, so hoping for Friday too. At least you have managed to speak to your Lawyers. Hoping Hubby gets an email about it today.

Ours was also at Vermont, so keep us updated on timings. Have I remembered rightly that you are off to NY?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Quick question which you may know depending if you are married or not.
My husband is applying for the H1B so i will be going out on a H4, when he goes for his interview do i go too, and we both get the visas at the same time? or do i have a separate interview?

Where are you both going to in the US? We are heading to San Francisco all being well with the visas
I don't know about the H4 thing, I'm afraid, but no doubt somebody else will be able to help.

I'm moving to Minnesota (just as winter will be setting in - that'll be fun!). Rather excited about it, but lots to sort out in the next few weeks now!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
... we both get the visas at the same time? or do i have a separate interview?
You will likely not have a separate interview. The H-4 is a derivative visa... all you need is proof of your husband's H-1B and a copy of your marriage certificate.

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Wow, it seems the US embassy is being incredibly efficient right now - after having my interview yesterday, I just got a text saying my passport is due to be returned tomorrow!

Last edited by orudge; Sep 24th 2009 at 3:55 pm. Reason: Removing quote
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by orudge
Note that I took the scanned copy of the approval notice (which the web site says is OK). You may want to wait to get the proper copy, plus any other paperwork, in case they ask for it - in my case though, this wasn't an issue.
I love this forum! Have rescheduled from Friday the 2nd to Monday the 28th, will take scanned I-797.

Will it be OK to take scans of everything or should I wait for my lawyer to fedex them? I'd hate to come this far and then shoot myself in the foot but equally I can't stand to wait another minute let alone another week!

Thanks again,
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NYCbound
On same schedule, so hoping for Friday too. At least you have managed to speak to your Lawyers. Hoping Hubby gets an email about it today.

Ours was also at Vermont, so keep us updated on timings. Have I remembered rightly that you are off to NY?
Killadelphia for me, but I'm going to take scans of everything (except my passport ) and hope that works. I'm hoping that's OK, I just hate waiting! Good luck with your OH's app, keep us updated,
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

I love this forum! Have rescheduled from Friday the 2nd to Monday the 28th, will take scanned I-797.

Will it be OK to take scans of everything or should I wait for my lawyer to fedex them? I'd hate to come this far and then shoot myself in the foot but equally I can't stand to wait another minute let alone another week!

Thanks again,
The web site states that you need "The original, photocopy or facsimile copy of the Notice of Action Form I-797A, B or C. The application cannot be processed without this form". As I say, for me, the printed scan was fine. They never asked me for a copy of the original petition, or any of the associated documents, and they are not specifically mentioned on the web site under items that are required. However, that's not to say that they may not ask you for it. I don't know if others have ever had that happen to them.

All of the other documents on their list are electronic anyway, or at least printed from forms that you get online, so they shouldn't be an issue - at least this is the case for the documents that applied to me.

So, in my opinion, you're probably safe to go ahead, but if you want to be absolutely certain, you may want to wait for the originals.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Killadelphia for me, but I'm going to take scans of everything (except my passport ) and hope that works. I'm hoping that's OK, I just hate waiting! Good luck with your OH's app, keep us updated,
We have been told to wait until after the 7th for our app. I believe Hubby is scheduling as we speak and completing the online form bit. That's fine for us though, we are hoping to fly around the 23rd and shippers don't need much notice, we are all set to go asap!
Good luck to you too.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You will likely not have a separate interview. The H-4 is a derivative visa... all you need is proof of your husband's H-1B and a copy of your marriage certificate.

Ian
When my OH had his interview for his H1B I went along too for the H4 part. No one asked to see any document to prove we were married or even the kids birth certs but we were told by lawyer to take them. Best to take all the info/certs/diplomas you have in case they are asked for. All I had to do was have fingerprints done. I didn't have to open my mouth once and OH was only asked 4 questions. Out of the Embassy within about hour and a half if I remember correctly.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by orudge

All of the other documents on their list are electronic anyway, or at least printed from forms that you get online, so they shouldn't be an issue - at least this is the case for the documents that applied to me.

So, in my opinion, you're probably safe to go ahead, but if you want to be absolutely certain, you may want to wait for the originals.
Hey thanks for that link. So all I need to bring is:
1. Appointment letter
2. MRV Receipt of fee payment
3. The DS-156 form
4. The DS-157 form (male between 18-46)
5. Passport
6. I-797 copy

Is that it? Some people recommend bringing my degree, should I do that? I have a BSc.

Only six items seems a little short, should I bring any other documents? Thanks again,
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

One last thing, when the DS-156 asks for

14. National Identification Number
(If applicable)

Does it mean my National insurance number? Or should I leave it blank?

And when it asks for

25. Name and Telephone Numbers of Person in U.S. Who You Will Be Staying With or Visiting for Tourism or Business

Should I put the name of the HR manager of the company or should I leave it blank?

Last edited by agentred; Sep 24th 2009 at 4:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.