How should I write my own name???

Old Jan 26th 2001, 8:58 am
JOSE A GARCIA

Hi.

My question has to do with how you are supposed to write your name on the forms.

I am from Mexico, so my maiden name is composed of my first name and 2 last names.
(father's last name and mother's last name)

Once I got married I discarded my mother's last name and just added my husband's plus a
"de" right before it.

In the INS forms, the ask to put your Family Name and First Name.

I am confused on how to do this, since in the US the name I use is my married name, my
first name and my husband's last name. I want to keep using this name, but I am not sure
if I should use it on the INS forms such as the i-485, i-130, biographical data.. etc.

Old Jan 26th 2001, 9:40 am
DUTCH in Atlanta, GA USA

Hi.
>
>My question has to do with how you are supposed to write your name on the forms.
>
>I am from Mexico, so my maiden name is composed of my first name and 2 last names.
>(father's last name and mother's last name)
>
>Once I got married I discarded my mother's last name and just added my husband's plus a
>"de" right before it.
>
>In the INS forms, the ask to put your Family Name and First Name.
>
>I am confused on how to do this, since in the US the name I use is my married name, my
>first name and my husband's last name. I want to keep using this name, but I am not sure
>if I should use it on the INS forms such as the i-485, i-130, biographical data.. etc.

Put it on the forms the way you intend to use it.

Regards,

DUTCH

**Sooner or later we have to abandon all hope for a better yesterday.**

Old Jan 26th 2001, 10:02 am
Marc

Put on the forms your name EXACTLY as it is on your current birth certificate and any
other documents like a passport. If you have not updated your birth certificate after your
first marriage, do that. Update it to your current name as you use it. Once BC if fixed,
you will need a passport if you do not have one, or you will have to have that updated
from marriage if it is not. All names being the same on BC and passport, do your forms. If
you get to an Interview for a Fiancee Visa, etc... and your name is differnet on any of
the documents in contrast to BC and passport, you could have a problem

Old Jan 26th 2001, 10:08 am
JOSE A GARCIA

I am already married, been married for a little over a year now. There is no such thing as
to update the birth certificate names under Mexican Law, plus I am in Hawaii right now,
under tourist visa, and seeking an adjustment of status.

I just wonder how do other people from latin countries deal with this issue of the names.
Right now I can use 3 different name combinations, but I wish to stick to my married name
*the way it's more common in the US - First Name
+ Husband's last name..

Any help is great. Thanks

> Put on the forms your name EXACTLY as it is on your current birth
certificate
> and any other documents like a passport. If you have not updated your
birth
> certificate after your first marriage, do that. Update it to your current
name
> as you use it. Once BC if fixed, you will need a passport if you do not
have
> one, or you will have to have that updated from marriage if it is not. All names being
> the same on BC and passport, do your forms. If you get to an Interview for a Fiancee
> Visa, etc... and your name is differnet on any of
the
> documents in contrast to BC and passport, you could have a problem

Old Jan 26th 2001, 12:28 pm
MoonRose13

Hello,

<< My question has to do with how you are supposed to write your name on the forms.

I am from Mexico, so my maiden name is composed of my first name and 2 last names.
(father's last name and mother's last name)

Once I got married I discarded my mother's last name and just added my husband's plus a
"de" right before it.

In the INS forms, the ask to put your Family Name and First Name.

I am confused on how to do this, since in the US the name I use is my married name, my
first name and my husband's last name. I want to keep using this name, but I am not sure
if I should use it on the INS forms such as the i-485, i-130, biographical data.. etc. >>

The answer to this is really quite simple. The name on my husband's birth certificate is
Chinese. He also has an English name. For purposes of immigration, he had to use the name
on his birth certificate. That is his legal name. Chinese names don't really have first,
middle, and last names in the way Caucasian names do. The sir name comes first and then
the other parts of the name follow. So I would use what name appears on your marriage
certificate. That would probably be your legal name.

Love and Blessed Be, Theresa

Old Jan 26th 2001, 3:26 pm
Alex Jackson

Isn't this as simple as putting down the name that you use and then all other names you
have been known by (or used - how ever it goes). I had to do this since I have had a name
change and my wife did this since she has had a divorce and after that switched her middle
name with her first name. Then to make yourself feel more comfortable about just explain
it in a cover letter.

Alex

JOSE A GARCIA wrote:

> Hi.
>
> My question has to do with how you are supposed to write your name on the forms.
>
> I am from Mexico, so my maiden name is composed of my first name and 2 last names.
> (father's last name and mother's last name)
>
> Once I got married I discarded my mother's last name and just added my husband's plus a
> "de" right before it.
>
> In the INS forms, the ask to put your Family Name and First Name.
>
> I am confused on how to do this, since in the US the name I use is my married name, my
> first name and my husband's last name. I want to keep using this name, but I am not sure
> if I should use it on the INS forms such as the i-485, i-130, biographical data.. etc.

Old Jan 27th 2001, 1:30 am
DUTCH in Atlanta, GA USA

Put on the forms your name EXACTLY as it is on your current birth certificate
>and any other documents like a passport. If you have not updated your birth certificate
>after your first marriage, do that. Update it to your current name as you use it. Once BC
>if fixed, you will need a passport if you do not have one, or you will have to have that
>updated from marriage if it is not. All names being the same on BC and passport, do your
>forms. If you get to an Interview for a Fiancee Visa, etc... and your name is differnet
>on any of the documents in contrast to BC and passport, you could have a problem

This information is, quite simply, *not* true. There are no changes to birth
certificates, and different names on the forms don't affect INS one way or the
other. Just be consistent in whatever name you use from now on!

As stated in my first response and echoed by another person later, put it on the
INS form in the way that you intend to use your name. If it will make you feel
more comfortable, attach a cover letter of explanation.

When my Filipina wife and I married, she dropped her former middle name and took
her maiden name as her middle name and my last name as her last name. This is the
custom in the Philippines.

Nowhere on any official documentation (birth certificate, passport and/or
marriage license) did it appear that way. We just started to use her name the way
she wanted to use it on all documents (INS, SSA, Driver's License, Passport
amendment done later, etc); and that's the way that it is. No problems and no
questions by anyone.

Regards,

DUTCH

**Before you criticize someone else, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you criticize,
you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.**

Old Jan 27th 2001, 4:55 am
JOSE A GARCIA

Thank you everyone, I am still unsure what to do..hehe... but in any case I think I will
stick with my new married name and write an explanation letter just in case. Thanks again
everybody for your input.

Old Jan 29th 2001, 6:44 am
ptf

I am of Italian heritage and on my birth certificate it has my first name as Pasquale. I
have always used Patrick on official forms and documents and thats the what I'm using on
all my INS applications. So hopefully Dutch is right and I shouldnt have a problem.

Regards, PTF

In article <[email protected]>,

> On 26 Jan 2001 23:02:22 GMT, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:
>
> >Put on the forms your name EXACTLY as it is on your current birth certificate and any
> >other documents like a passport. If you have not updated your birth certificate after
> >your first marriage, do that. Update it to your current name as you use it. Once BC if
> >fixed, you will need a passport if you do not have one, or you will have to have that
> >updated from marriage if it is not. All names being the same on BC and passport, do
> >your forms. If you get to an Interview for a Fiancee Visa, etc... and your name is
> >differnet on any of the documents in contrast to BC and passport, you could have a
> >problem
>
> This information is, quite simply, *not* true. There are no changes to birth
> certificates, and different names on the forms don't affect INS one way or the
> other. Just be consistent in whatever name you use from now on!
>
> As stated in my first response and echoed by another person later, put it on the
> INS form in the way that you intend to use your name. If it will make you feel
> more comfortable, attach a cover letter of explanation.
>
> When my Filipina wife and I married, she dropped her former middle name and took
> her maiden name as her middle name and my last name as her last name. This is the
> custom in the Philippines.
>
> Nowhere on any official documentation (birth certificate,
> passport and/or marriage license) did it appear that way. We just
> started to use her name the way she wanted to use it on all documents
> (INS, SSA, Driver's License, Passport amendment done later, etc); and
> that's the way that it is. No problems and no questions by anyone.
>
> Regards,
>
> DUTCH
>
> **Before you criticize someone else, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you
> criticize, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.**