Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How should I do it - setting up a US business?

Wikiposts

How should I do it - setting up a US business?

Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How should I do it - setting up a US business?

Originally Posted by mkukusa
I need to visit clients every day not just for 90 days at a time, a visitors visa isn't going to work.

Surely whether I "need" or "want" a visa is irrelevant BenK, I am here for help, not for your personal opinion on what I "want" or "need".
BenK is just explaining the thought process that an officer adjudicating all this would go through.

The US visa system (family aside) is designed in a way to be protectionist and looks for what the country can get out of this, not individuals. This is usually hiring American workers.

Have your company pay an experienced immigration attorney for a consultation and opinion.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I need to visit clients every day not just for 90 days at a time, a visitors visa isn't going to work.

Surely whether I "need" or "want" a visa is irrelevant BenK, I am here for help, not for your personal opinion on what I "want" or "need".
It's not entirely irrelevant as you're going about it the wrong way.

As others have said, your plan is flawed and you're going to have a tough time getting a visa when you don't really plan to boost the US economy by employing US citizens.

You don't have anyone in the US that could act on your behalf to meet these clients you need to see everyday? GoToMeeting? Slack? Skype for Business? There's lots of ways to go about it.

Good luck in your pursuit though.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:07 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read the link with regard to the types of visas that are available? If you will not have staff running your existing operation in the UK, then it seems that the E-2 is the option -- but the intention of that visa is to set up premises and also provide jobs for US citizens, not just employ the visa holder working from home. A legal consultation seems to be in order to help you figure out what might work for you.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Our eventual goal is for us both to have dual citizenship (visa) with the UK and USA, so that if we want to we can live for a year at a time in either country in our homes.

As we have not yet setup the USA business or purchased a property, I thought that now would be the best time to get advise on how I should setup the business in the USA to enable me to gain a visa for us both in the future.

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly received.

Thank you.
This is what you originally asked and for the most part has been answered. Unfortunately there is not much that gives hope for a visa, let alone eventual dual citizenship. Of course, that is not the answer you wanted, but sometimes that happens.

I agree with others that consultation with an immigration attorney would be your best course, to see if there is a way through.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Nov 15th 2017 at 6:20 am.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband travelled to the US every other week for two years...during the weeks he was in N.J. he visited clients every day...5 days per week. There was no need for a visa.

You may not want our opinion but our forums are open for anyone to post as long as they stay within our Site Rules. We are pointing out the flaws in your plans for a US visa. Look at it from the Imm. Officer’s point of view...what are you contributing to the US that a US citizen cannot do? An Internet biz without biz premises and not employing USCs just doesn’t cut it.

A consultation with an Imm. Attorney has already been advised.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 15th 2017 at 6:18 am.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you want advice as to how to set up a business in the US, then seeing a lawyer experienced in this or some financial institution, is going to be more beneficial to you than asking a general forum.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It is relevant when it comes to applying for a work visa. So far, you haven't shown enough evidence as to why you need a visa, as opposed to simply wanting one.

I believe part of the requirement is that you have leased office space (not working from home), and that you intend to hire US citizens (which you don't). The business is online, and you only need to be here to meet clients.. something which is covered by the VWP. I'm sure the ConOff will find it hard to believe you will be meeting with clients every day, 260 work days a year. You might have to group your meetings together to fit into several VWP visits.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound like your business plan fits that of getting a work visa. You might want to have a consultation with an immigration attorney.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 15th 2017 at 6:50 am.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 10:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Surely whether I "need" or "want" a visa is irrelevant .....
Not at all, you might be able to get a visa you need, but visas are not handed you just because you want one. Even a visa you "need" may have significant strings attached such as investing in and contributing to the US economy, which doesn't appear to be your intention.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 11:16 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As a retired immigration lawyer, I will join in the recommendation to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer... JCraigFong..https://www.immigration-lawyer-la.com

I can envision some paths not mentioned here.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 15th 2017 at 12:20 pm. Reason: Sorry I deleted JFong in error.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 11:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
..... I can envision some paths not mentioned here.
Is there some reason why you won't share them, or do you just enjoy appearing to be an är§e?
Old Nov 15th 2017, 12:55 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is there some reason why you won't share them, or do you just enjoy appearing to be an är§e?
Any case involves a question tree and there are often many variables involved. OP has been advised to seek legal advice - even from those who are of the DIY you don't need a lawyer types populating this forum.

I am too lazy and disinclined to follow the question tree.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

EB5 seems the obvious one to me.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well there are a number of possibilities, it's just that none are very likely - O-1, and EB-1 spring to mind.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the O 1 types are in Russia.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
EB-5 involves the creation of at least 10 full time positions. The OP does not plan to employ anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.