How to prove not married?

Old Apr 4th 2001, 12:52 pm
Phillip Knight

I am going to be married in Slovakia, contacted the Slovak Embassey in the US, and
asked what I need to do this right.

The response sounds normal, passport, birth certificate, affadavit of US residency,
and a certificate that I have not been married. The last one is hard though because
they want a certificate through the department of health. In California, even knowing
what they are looking for, the DoH takes 90 days for a response.

So, I figure if it is even possible, the DoH will probably take twice this long to
insure they can't find a thing...

So, is there another way? The consul said that I could get an affadavit from the US
consul in Slovakia, but is that certificate legal in Slovakia, or do I have to go
through the entire process of certifying it (notarized, county certificate, state
certificate, US certificate, slovak translation, slovak embassey certificate!!)?

Thanks for the help! Phil

Old Apr 4th 2001, 2:04 pm
exyz

>
in
    >
    >
    >
of US
    >
last one
    >
department of
    >
DoH
    >
    >
    >
twice
    >
    >
    >
affadavit
    >
    >
certifying it
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Alvena's web site http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/dcf.html talks about DCF and
has a lot of experiences by country. I didn't see Slovakia, but this might give you
more information.

I'll tell you what we did, although my experience is in the Netherlands, not
Slovakia.

When we married in Holland, I had to produce a document stating that I had never
married. (At that time, the US Consulate in the Netherlands produced no such document
that we knew of. Now they do, and I believe that it is accepted by the Dutch. My
guess is that if the US Consul in Slovakia does a similar thing, it should be
accepted, and you should not have to deal with certifications in the US. But I can't
say for sure.

I called the vital statistics branch in Pennsylvania (where I lived) and they said,
sure they'd search but it wasn't much good because I could have been married in any
of the other 49 states and they would never know. Anyway, they suggested I write a
brief letter...

I, name here, born xxx/xxx/xxxx in xxxxxxx, attest that I have never been married.

I had the letter notarized and then sent it off to my state's "department of state"
where they affixed an apostille. An apostille is an offical seal which identifies
the document as offical and valid. I had to to this with my birth certificate as
well. Those documents were accepted by the Dutch government. I can't say for sure,
but I would imagine that apostilled documents should be accepted by other
governments as well.

You might see if you can do a similar thing. In the end, we found the guy in Holland
who would approve all our paperwork and actually called him several times. I have no
idea how difficult it may be to find such a person in Slovakia, but it would be
helpful if you could.

BTW, make sure you get the "long version" of your birth certificate. That's the form
with your parents names on it. I had the short version apostilled at first. In the
end it was useful, though because that's how we found the guy who approved all our
paperwork. He sent us a letter telling us our file was incomplete.

Good luck

Elaine

Old Apr 5th 2001, 12:22 am
Alvena Ferreira

Phillip Knight wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Here is an old post from someone in China:
--
Yes, I was married in China last February. The process is very straightforwared. Take
your passport, birth certificate and divorce papers (if applicable) with you. You
will need to visit the American Embassy and request a notarized letter certificating
that you are free to marry and are not currently married. They will do this for you.
--
I would presume that you can get this same type of service from the embassy in
Slovakia, especially since they told you that you could get it.

alvena

Old Apr 5th 2001, 10:31 am
NENE

Hi Phillip,

My husband (Turkish) and I (USC) were married in Turkey. As this proof of "not being
married" is also required in Turkey, the US Consulate there had created a form that
is acceptable by Turkish officials there. I filled out the the form at the US
Consulate. Then they affixed a seal to it. I presented this form which was written in
both English and Turkish to the "marriage office" in Turkey and I had no problems.
I'm sure the US Consulate in Slovakia will be prepared for such cases as it is
required there too. I had no luck with any agency here in the US willing to write
such a statement and place a seal on it. I think dealing the US Consulate may be your
best route.

Nene

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >