Wikiposts

how much is too much on a b1/2?

Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all
Default how much is too much on a b1/2?

I have had three consecutive, ten year B1/2 visas over the last 22 years, my latest is just two years old - ( if you hadnt done the math : ) )

( I am a UKC and would be eligible for esta and vwp but my company requires me to have a B1/2 as well as C1/D)

The first two I probably only used to enter the usa four or five times each over the ten year validity period, but this year I have been into the USA in Jan, Feb/March, May, July and will soon use again in Nov - so five visits in 12 months - no visit being more than 9 days. ( EXCLUDING C1/D visits)

Having read a response to someone elses thread where they were warned that coming in and out too often for too long could likely result in a refusal at POE at some point , I was wondering if I am getting close to that moment.

I do carry proof of ties to UK - return ticket, work schedule and letter from employer etc and no I-130 has been sent in as yet or anything like that.

I know I am probably asking how long is a piece of string - but just wondered if anyone has any experience to relate which is relevant to my question.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:27 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much is too much on a b1/2?

Are your entries as a B1 or B2, i.e. business or pleasure?

If business, experience: I have seen 17 entries to the USA in 1 calendar year (in 1 UK passport) on visa waiver, mostly WB and short trips

tht

Last edited by tht; Nov 19th 2010 at 3:30 am.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/123)

All pleasure (* weg * )
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babybyrd
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/123)

All pleasure (* weg * )
If it's just for pleasure, why does your company require you to have the B1/B2 visa?

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

I dont know the actual reason Rene but I THINK its in case we have to fly in as a relief crew - go in as passengers to pick up a plane instead of entering as operating crew (OR if we have to transit there on the way to some other destination when not operating crew)

I am sure its a 'just in case' thing but they definitley have some kind of agreement with the USCIS and embassy over it, renewals are always expedited and appointments given at the soonest opportunity etc

I would have expected it to stop once VWP was bought in but it didnt - I am not knowledgable enough to know why

Also - at POE - when an officer patrols the line to check paperwork is in order and sees my white I94 but a European passport they nearly always ask why I have a visa when its not necessary - the minute i say because I am airline crew they seem to understand the B1/2 so it must be pretty normal and or common

I have never used my B1/2 for a work trip but I know many crew who have
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the facts that you have given I think that it is very unlikely that you would have a problem.

All other things being equal the amount of time that you spend in the US matters far more than the number of trips.

5 or 6 trips of less than 10 days each is not exceptional - even if they are all for "pleasure" - particularly for someone who, by virtue of their work, presumably has lots of time off and access to very low priced (or, possibly, free) flights.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

thanks md95065

I appreciate that.

Heading over for the TG holiday on Monday

x
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Rene you got me thinking so I googled and found this:

B1/B2 : This visa is required by any crew that will be operating into and more importantly out of the US. If you have any length of layover and are not returning back on the vessel (whether it be Aircraft or Ship) the next time is leaves the country, this Visa permits you to operate out of the US.

C1/D : This visa entitles you to enter the country with the arrival of the vessel, and states you will be residing in the accommodation agreed on your visa application. However, the condition of this Visa is that you depart the US on the next sailing/flying of the vessel you arrived on, hence needing the B1/B2...
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

B1/B2 : This visa is required by any crew that will be operating into and more importantly out of the US. If you have any length of layover and are not returning back on the vessel (whether it be Aircraft or Ship) the next time is leaves the country, this Visa permits you to operate out of the US.

C1/D : This visa entitles you to enter the country with the arrival of the vessel, and states you will be residing in the accommodation agreed on your visa application. However, the condition of this Visa is that you depart the US on the next sailing/flying of the vessel you arrived on, hence needing the B1/B2...
Thanks for the clarification!

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2010, 5:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Y'see... this is why I love this forum. I learn new stuff every day!

Ian