Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

With how many months to go do you renew your US passport?

With how many months to go do you renew your US passport?

Old Oct 28th 2018, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Jayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default With how many months to go do you renew your US passport?

My mother recently broke her hip and I am going to the UK next week to help her out when she comes home from hospital. I am a dual citizen and my UK passport is fine. My US passport expires next March. I am sure I will be fine as I intend to leave the UK back to the USA in November. I wasn't expecting to have to go anywhere and will apply to renew when I get back to the USA. I googled to see recommended timeframe to renew a US passport and it said nine months. Just curious if everyone does this?
Old Oct 28th 2018, 12:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: With how many months to go do you renew your US passport?

Some countries require six months validity in your foreign passport. Providing your US passport is valid when you travel back to the US then you won’t have any problems.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 12:44 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to renew my US passport, but I would expect it to take a month give or take a week.
Even if it expires before you return, I would think you will be let in, unless you are not white.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 12:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I have yet to renew my US passport, but I would expect it to take a month give or take a week.
Even if it expires before you return, I would think you will be let in, unless you are not white.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 2:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Would he be allowed to board the plane?

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2018, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely - there is a lot of racism in the UK and the poster may have some difficulties there, like with denied boarding.

On the American end, US Citizens cannot be denied entry to the US. There may be some delays while they authenticate the passport and that may take a few hours (!). Not what you want after a long transatlantic flight.

You can get an express renewal and I would go that route and just do it now.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou
Absolutely - there is a lot of racism in the UK and the poster may have some difficulties there, like with denied boarding.

On the American end, US Citizens cannot be denied entry to the US. There may be some delays while they authenticate the passport and that may take a few hours (!). Not what you want after a long transatlantic flight.

You can get an express renewal and I would go that route and just do it now.
What a bizarre post. “There’s a lot of racism in the UK” - no, there’s not and no-one is going to stop the OP boarding a flight based on their race. Trying to board with an expired passport would be a problem for anyone but the OP will be flying back to the US a full five months before their passport expires. It’s simply not going to be a problem.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you area US Citizen, the color of your skin makes no difference.

If the passport expires while you are out of the country, you can get a 'white' passport (emergency travel document) at the US Consulate/Embassy. You can also renew it while you're in the UK at the US Embassy. See here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...ew-a-passport/

A renewal by mail took me 1 week in June.
Sorry your mother broke her hip. That is a big problem for many senior citizens.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 28th 2018 at 2:18 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

If the passport expires while you are out of the country, you can get a 'white' passport (emergency travel document) at the US Consulate/Embassy. You can also renew it while you're in the UK at the US Embassy. See here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...ew-a-passport/

Sorry your mother broke her hip. That is a big problem for many senior citizens.
That's a good turnaround time frame - thanks. I don't really envisage any problems with having four months left on my return in November and was wondering how quickly I needed to renew. I doubted very much if I would need nine months left on my passport.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 6:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Did my renewal this month. It was 18 days from mailing out to receipt of new passport.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 7:18 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

That's amusing, given the slightly tongue in cheek post I made.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Did my renewal this month. It was 18 days from mailing out to receipt of new passport.
Same here, I think exactly the same number of days. Definitely faster than the 4-6 weeks they quote for standard processing, not sure where the 9 months originally quoted came from. You can renew at any point within 5 years I believe.