How long is US visa for?

Old May 13th 2018, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long is US visa for?

Originally Posted by Rete
If it is granted, it will start as of the date of approval. It depends on whether or not you go into Administrative Processing. If that occurs, your B visa might not be issued at all or might be issued in 1 day or 1 year from the interview date. Either way, you will have an answer before August, 2019.
I think that the OP's concern was that if they get a 1 year visa and that visa is issued sometime before August 2018 then it will expire before the proposed trip in August 2019 and they will have to apply again for another visa for that trip ...
Old May 13th 2018, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Kazzi2808 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
I think that the OP's concern was that if they get a 1 year visa and that visa is issued sometime before August 2018 then it will expire before the proposed trip in August 2019 and they will have to apply again for another visa for that trip ...
Whether the visa would cover our 2019 trip in August is a concern. If it doesn't I would most likely move the holiday to either Easter or beginning of July. Luckily both my kids will be finished with exams by end of June 2019 & my interview is not until end of June 2018 so as long as the visa start date is sometime in July we should be OK. Can someone please confirm a couple of things for me - 1. I'm sure I've read that as long as your visa is valid the day to travel into the states it doesn't matter if it runs out whilst you are there - is this true?
2. When going to your interview are you allowed to take any baggage in with you. I will be staying overnight as my interview is at 8am so I will be checking out of hotel and going straight to the embassy which means I'll have a small overnight bag with me?
Thanks, your advise so far has been brilliant.
Old May 13th 2018, 2:17 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kazzi2808
Thanks. It happened when I was 18, 43 now. Never even been cautioned since. ACRO came back no trace except this criminal history. Been in the same job for 28 years which I've been told should help my case too so fingers crossed for interview next month.
Strange - on your other thread you say the arrest was in Spain (or was that another one?) so why would it show on your ACRO?And why would you need a waiver if you were found not guilty in a court of law?
Old May 13th 2018, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Well that is quite evident isn't it. However, there is never any guarantee that it will be issued or when it will be issued and for the length of the visa. So much is up in the air but the OP appears to have things under control with a change in plans if needed to an early vacation slot and/or she needs to reapply for a new visa when applicable.

PS No baggage is allowed in the US Embassy. Perhaps you can leave it at your hotel for pickup after the interview. I know many people do this routinely.
Old May 13th 2018, 2:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927

Strange - on your other thread you say the arrest was in Spain (or was that another one?) so why would it show on your ACRO?And why would you need a waiver if you were found not guilty in a court of law?

It was on this thread (post #12) that she mentions being arrested in Spain at age 18 and found not guilty. I found only two threads by the OP, this and one regarding the handwriting and/or typing of a sworn statement. Good catch on the ACRO?
Old May 13th 2018, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Yes the arrest was in Spain and according to what I read the outcome of an arrest does not matter. The fact that I was arrested is enough that I wouldn't qualify for an esta. The ACRO/police check is listed as something I would need along with a sworn statement as I was never given any documentation/paperwork at the time in Spain.
Old May 13th 2018, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Well that is quite evident isn't it. However, there is never any guarantee that it will be issued or when it will be issued and for the length of the visa. So much is up in the air but the OP appears to have things under control with a change in plans if needed to an early vacation slot and/or she needs to reapply for a new visa when applicable.

PS No baggage is allowed in the US Embassy. Perhaps you can leave it at your hotel for pickup after the interview. I know many people do this routinely.
Thanks, I'll just need to check before booking hotel to make sure they have a luggage storage.
Old May 13th 2018, 3:28 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the arrest was in Spain and according to what I read the outcome of an arrest does not matter. The fact that I was arrested is enough that I wouldn't qualify for an esta. The ACRO/police check is listed as something I would need along with a sworn statement as I was never given any documentation/paperwork at the time in Spain.
It doesn’t make any sense. Why would a Spanish arrest which led to no conviction be on the PNC (police national computer) in the U.K.? Something doesn’t add up.
Old May 13th 2018, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

It doesn’t make any sense. Why would a Spanish arrest which led to no conviction be on the PNC (police national computer) in the U.K.? Something doesn’t add up.
Not sure. Basic story is I was on holiday in Spain, went to an 18-30's club night. Met a boy, spent evening drinking & dancing etc with him. Things then progressed outside club and we had consensual intercourse. The next morning I was arrested for underage sex with a minor. Apparently he was 15 using fake ID. In court it was proved that I had no idea he was only 15 and I was found not guilty and released. On the acro it says no trace but there is a historical criminal history which although the British police consider spent I would need to declare. On the info for esta it says that it doesn't matter if arrest is considered spent or that you were found not guilty you still have to declare. I guess I could get to the interview and be told I don't need a visa but I thought it was not worth the risk of getting to the states and beeninh sent home. Considering I have never been arrested or cautioned anywhere since means that the historical criminal history must refer to what happened in Spain.
Old May 13th 2018, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So you applied for ESTA and it was refused?
Old May 13th 2018, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
So you applied for ESTA and it was refused?
I originally did an esta which was authorised because I ticked no to every question. In my naivety I didn't think my arrest was relevant. Sometime later when talking to a close friend she advised that I needed to check as she thought I was wrong. After reading the info on the US visa website I realised that I probably would need one & the only real way to know for definite would be to apply for a visa. So I have. To be honest its all quite confusing but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old May 13th 2018, 4:24 pm
Banned

Not sure. Basic story is I was on holiday in Spain, went to an 18-30's club night. Met a boy, spent evening drinking & dancing etc with him. Things then progressed outside club and we had consensual intercourse. The next morning I was arrested for underage sex with a minor. Apparently he was 15 using fake ID. In court it was proved that I had no idea he was only 15 and I was found not guilty and released. On the acro it says no trace but there is a historical criminal history which although the British police consider spent I would need to declare. On the info for esta it says that it doesn't matter if arrest is considered spent or that you were found not guilty you still have to declare. I guess I could get to the interview and be told I don't need a visa but I thought it was not worth the risk of getting to the states and beeninh sent home. Considering I have never been arrested or cautioned anywhere since means that the historical criminal history must refer to what happened in Spain.

It’s not the declaring/not declaring issue that I am questioning. We are all aware that for visa and immigration purposes there is no such thing as a spent conviction and everything must be declared. I’m just very surprised that something that happened so long ago, in another country, made it onto the current PNC - especially when the PNC was in its infancy at the time.

interssting that you were arrested for sex with a minor in a country where (at that time) the age of consent for all sexual acts for both genders was 13.

I assume you have applied for your Spanish record also - London embassy website says you will need this too

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/ineligibilities-and-waivers-2/arrest-caution-conviction/

This could be useful for others who may have been arrested with no conviction in a foreign county.

Last edited by Twinkle0927; May 13th 2018 at 4:28 pm.
Old May 13th 2018, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

It’s not the declaring/not declaring issue that I am questioning. We are all aware that for visa and immigration purposes there is no such thing as a spent conviction and everything must be declared. I’m just very surprised that something that happened so long ago, in another country, made it onto the current PNC - especially when the PNC was in its infancy at the time.

interssting that you were arrested for sex with a minor in a country where (at that time) the age of consent for all sexual acts for both genders was 13.

I assume you have applied for your Spanish record also - London embassy website says you will need this too

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/ineligibilities-and-waivers-2/arrest-caution-conviction/

This could be useful for others who may have been arrested with no conviction in a foreign county.
No, I just have the UK acro and sworn statement as I do not have any paperwork. I had read the link you forwarded but thought they meant the UK acro. My interview is only a 6 weeks away so will look into how long a Spanish acro takes. Could be its too late now to get one.
Old May 13th 2018, 4:48 pm
Banned

No, I just have the UK acro and sworn statement as I do not have any paperwork. I had read the link you forwarded but thought they meant the UK acro. My interview is only a 6 weeks away so will look into how long a Spanish acro takes. Could be its too late now to get one.
The third section on that page clearly says that for arrests, cautions and convictions in countries other than the UK and USA you need to obtain the relevant records from that country.

If it is required, it is required. And “not enough time until the interview” won’t be an acceptable excuse for not having it.

I would think you would want a copy of your arrest record for your own peace of mind. Especially as it now appeared it was a wrongful arrest as the age of consent in Spain was 12 until 1995 and raised to 13 in 1995. It wasn’t raised to 16 until 2005.
Old May 13th 2018, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

The third section on that page clearly says that for arrests, cautions and convictions in countries other than the UK and USA you need to obtain the relevant records from that country.

If it is required, it is required. And “not enough time until the interview” won’t be an acceptable excuse for not having it.

I would think you would want a copy of your arrest record for your own peace of mind. Especially as it now appeared it was a wrongful arrest as the age of consent in Spain was 12 until 1995 and raised to 13 in 1995. It wasn’t raised to 16 until 2005.
It also says underneath that if you were not convicted and do not have any documentation then you do a sworn statement, which I have.

As for knowing for my peace of mind and wrongful arrest - I know everyone is different but I just want to forget the whole thing again. It was the most traumatic time of my life. An 18 year old first time abroad without parents, admittedly naive girl who learnt a harsh lesson. Even now there are many details I do not remember and I have no desire to drag it up anymore than necessary. I know that probably sounds strange, maybe one day I'll want to know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.