Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long have you lived in your new country?

How long have you lived in your new country?

Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long have you lived in your new country?

I've only been here coming up to 6 months (god, that went fast!). I have mixed feelings. I definitely only have a handful of "real friends" that I hang out with. I find it can be hard to transfer workmates into outside friends, but a few have. I miss having friends I went to school with, people I went to uni with, people that I've known forever to chat to. On the other hand, everyone I meet, almost without exception, says "I love your accent!" and wants to talk to me about australia, so that makes me proud of my country.

Then again, work rocks and I love it. I've learned so much already, and have a lot of opportunities coming up. I am doing another masters degree starting in a couple of weeks.

I'm fatter from american-sized meals!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya and where in this vast country are you?
Hi TruBrit!

I am in West Virginia at the moment. Parts of the state are beautiful - we actually had our honeymoon in state - but this is a small college town and i'm not a student anymore, so not much going on for me.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:00 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Hi TruBrit!

I am in West Virginia at the moment. Parts of the state are beautiful - we actually had our honeymoon in state - but this is a small college town and i'm not a student anymore, so not much going on for me.
You had me at West Virginia. Hopefully ties to the state aren't strong enough that you can move. WV is not particularly my favorite state. It depresses the heck out of me when I drive through it at times. I always thought of it as a state to drive through to get to somewhere better.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You had me at West Virginia. Hopefully ties to the state aren't strong enough that you can move. WV is not particularly my favorite state. It depresses the heck out of me when I drive through it at times. I always thought of it as a state to drive through to get to somewhere better.
Probably a good place to get back to nature, etc, because it is pretty and I wouldn't say no to a weekend at the Greenbrier, , but indeed sounds like it is time to move on.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:09 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Probably a good place to get back to nature, etc, because it is pretty and I wouldn't say no to a weekend at the Greenbrier, , but indeed sounds like it is time to move on.
Three years in WV and I'd reach my saturation point. However It's all about the job, family, and money that keep you at a certain place. Hopefully travel is in her future
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ugacrew
It's not a bad state, it's just not really my ideal place to live. I lived most of my life on the outskirts of London (just a 30 minute train journey to all my favourite places in the city). Then I lived 3 years in the city of Cambridge, England, where there was always a lot going on. So, as you can imagine, being here is very different!

My husband has family in WV, but he's not against moving. In fact, he feels ready to leave as soon as he graduates now too! Only problem is, we might end up staying in WV, just a different part - Morgantown. From what I've heard and seen, it seems a lot like here!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cindyabs
It's not really like that where I live, but I agree that WV in general is a great place for getting back to nature. We spent our honeymoon in the Canaan Valley - had a lovely cabin! The Greenbrier isn't that far from here - never been though.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:27 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Been here 18 years now; spent 11 years in Texas (San Antonio/San Marcos), just over 2 years south of the Twin Cities, Minnesota and now over 4 years in southeast Virginia.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
It's not a bad state, it's just not really my ideal place to live. I lived most of my life on the outskirts of London (just a 30 minute train journey to all my favourite places in the city). Then I lived 3 years in the city of Cambridge, England, where there was always a lot going on. So, as you can imagine, being here is very different!

(
that's me! i have been asked many times by the locals 'didn't i feel isolated living on an island' when actually i feel more isolated here.

some karma on it's way!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:33 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be 30 years next month -- though I'll be back in the UK by then.

My life in the US has always been hard slog, usually struggling to make ends meet.

I got a Master's degree, for what it's worth, and that probably wouldn't have happened if I'd stayed in the UK.

I don't hate it here, but I feel that the UK is home, not here.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBrit
that's me! i have been asked many times by the locals 'didn't i feel isolated living on an island' when actually i feel more isolated here.

some karma on it's way!
I actually get the opposite question here. People always ask me how I ended up in little old West Virginia after living in a place like England close to London. If it hadn't been for the partnership my Uni back home had with the Uni here I probably would never have thought about coming to West Virginia. I'd have gone somewhere else in the States. People here seem to understand and automatically assume that being here must be difficult for me.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:44 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

18 years in Italy ..... ok - it's not the USA but it is still very different to the UK - driving on the right for example, food, culture, schooling but that ìs fairly easy to overcome - the language was a lot harder and the fact that i ended up in a tiny village at the bottom of the mountains with a mentality light years away from ours.

I have settled yet managed to maintain my personality and not become the kind of mamma that brings up the famous "mummy's boy" (oh - yes they still exist).
I find I now miss English things more than the lifestyle. Of course i miss family and friends too but I have it so much easier than you guys and very much appreciate the fact that I can be back in 2 hours. What I can't live without though is a good stock of t-bags !!!!!!!!!!!! I've never been a coffee person and whether it is Starbucks or real italian espresso or capuccino .... I hate it !
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Skint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond repute

10 years.

I like most of everything here except the shitty rip-off untrustworthy healthcare system and the lack of public transportation alternatives here in the Mid-West

The country's made me bit of a bloater but who's to say the UK wouldn't have done the same?

It's telling that I still have a hard time describing the USA as my "home". However, I have exactly the same problem w/regards to England. So, even after a decade, a large element of mental "limbo" remains.