Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long before I receive I-797 Approval notice in the mail?

How long before I receive I-797 Approval notice in the mail?

Old May 17th 2011, 9:10 am
Just Joined

shanejet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long before I receive I-797 Approval notice in the mail?

Hi All,
First time poster.

I was notified on the 5th of this month that my L1-A petition via premium processing has been approved at Vermont Service Centre and the I-797 Approval notice will follow in the mail.

As of yet my lawyer has not received the notice, which is worrying as it has nearly been two weeks.

What is the usual lead time to receive the notice in the mail?
And secondly when the lawyer does receive it, can he scan a copy of it and email to me to use at the embassy? Or does it need to be original copy?

I stupidly already booked the embassy interview for next thursday the 26th!

Regards.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before I receive I-797 Approval notice in the mail?

mine took around 10 days -I was told you MUST have the original (by the embassy)
Old May 17th 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Mine arrived a couple of weeks after approval. The original went to the attorney - and his arrived after mine, despite him being in the US and me in the UK! Mine is annotated as a copy though, and I wasn't even expecting anything to come directly to me.
Old May 17th 2011, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

Surprisingly I had an email from the lawyer this morning stating that he just received the approval notice in the mail.

So, bring on the interview at the embassy next thursday!
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Hello again,
I was having a read on the us embassy site and it states this:

"Important Note: The Form I-797 is no longer needed for your interview. However, to verify petition approval we will need your I-129 petition receipt number so please make sure to have this available."

Does anyone know about this?
Old May 22nd 2011, 4:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shanejet
Hello again,
I was having a read on the us embassy site and it states this:

"Important Note: The Form I-797 is no longer needed for your interview. However, to verify petition approval we will need your I-129 petition receipt number so please make sure to have this available."

Does anyone know about this?
Know what about it?

You can always provide a link when you're quoting another site, so we can see the context, but what you posted is pretty clear.
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:09 am
Just Joined

sorry about that, it was on the us embassy site.

Most people are saying that you need the original I-797 form but it stated otherwise on there.
Was wondering if anybody had gone for an interview without bringing the form with them?
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... it was on the us embassy site.
For which country?

Most people are saying that you need the original I-797 form but it stated otherwise on there.
Can you please provide the direct link to what you're reading?

Ian
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

Looks to just be the official US site.

It is under the Petitions section about halfway down.
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

Looks to just be the official US site.
Ah... just to clarify, this isn't a US Embassy website. It's the website for the US Department of State. The DoS will not be conducting the interview, USCIS will... so I'd disregard anything the DoS says in favor of what USCIS has to say about it.

Ian
Old May 24th 2011, 2:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

sorry about that, it was on the us embassy site.

Was wondering if anybody had gone for an interview without bringing the form with them?
Maybe you are the first from BEers?

It does say "Important Note: The Form I-797 is no longer needed for your interview. However, to verify petition approval we will need your I-129 petition receipt number so please make sure to have this available."

That indicates to me that it used to be needed, and now it is not.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:25 am
Just Joined

I will bring it with me to the interview just in case, but will see what happens when I don't produce it for them
Old May 24th 2011, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The DoS will not be conducting the interview, USCIS will... so I'd disregard anything the DoS says in favor of what USCIS has to say about it.

Ian
Ian, you of all people shouldn't be making that mistake!

The consulates are run by the Dept. of State, not USCIS. So if the interview is at the consulate, then yes, the interview is conducted by the DoS.

- Eric S.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

rossscotland is an unknown quantity at this point

Shanejet,

Did you end up needing to bring your I-797? My interview is on tuesday and I am very unlikely to have the form by then.

Thanks,

Ross
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rossscotland
Shanejet,

Did you end up needing to bring your I-797? My interview is on tuesday and I am very unlikely to have the form by then.

Thanks,

Ross
Sorry mate, I only just realised you posted this.

I did bring along my I-797 but from memory I don't think It was needed.

How did you go with your interview?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.