Wikiposts

How long after I-797 approval...

Old Apr 16th 2002, 2:40 pm
Todd

Default How long after I-797 approval...

Is there a general rule of thumb as to how long it takes the INS to notify the
embassy abroad of the I-797 approval. I received the I-797 on 12 March 2002, and have
been calling the American embassy in Nairobi, Kenya - but they have yet to receive
notification (it's been five weeks now).

Any insight on this would be appreciated. Todd

Old Apr 16th 2002, 3:40 pm
Cheryl

Default Re: How long after I-797 approval...

I have no idea of how long it takes to notify an embassy abroad but note that the
I-797 has an expiry date, 4 months from the date of your second NOA. Your foreign
fiancée should have her K-1 visa approved within that 4 months. If she doesn't then
you as the USC should send the foreign consulate a notarized letter asking them to
revalidate the I-797. The newsgroup just faced this problem. See this link for more
details: http://www.foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0941081N.pdf

"Todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a general rule of thumb as to how long it takes the INS to notify the
    > embassy abroad of the I-797 approval. I received the I-797 on 12 March 2002, and
    > have been calling the American embassy in Nairobi, Kenya - but they have yet to
    > receive notification (it's been five weeks now).
    >
    > Any insight on this would be appreciated. Todd

Old Apr 17th 2002, 3:40 am
Jennifer

[email protected] (Todd) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Is there a general rule of thumb as to how long it takes the INS to notify the
    > embassy abroad of the I-797 approval. I received the I-797 on 12 March 2002, and
    > have been calling the American embassy in Nairobi, Kenya - but they have yet to
    > receive notification (it's been five weeks now).
    >
    > Any insight on this would be appreciated. Todd

I think it depends on the service center. We went through the NSC - and I was able to
reach a real person at the service center last week and asked how long it takes for
the I-797 approval to reach the Consulate in Amsterdam. We were approved 3/13/02, the
INS agent said the approval was sent to the consulate same day, and for me not to
expect it to get there for 5-6 weeks.

Old Apr 17th 2002, 11:40 am
Aangiela

Yes, it depends on the consulate and how it was sent to the consulate. We were
approved on April 1st and Mickey received his Packet 3 in the mail today. We went
through NSC. It was a lot sooner than we had expected.