Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How does POE officer know how long I've been away?

Wikiposts

How does POE officer know how long I've been away?

Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:10 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does POE officer know how long I've been away?

Originally Posted by speedaz
well i definitely don't want to lie to the the immigration official. I guess the idea is that I thought I can create a sitation in which the immigration official is not going to ask me any questions that may prevent me from coming into the country. if all they ask me is how long I've been away and what I was doing then i can give them a true answer of being out of country only 2 months and visiting friends.

If they start asking about my previous travels out of the country then I would tell them and I guess they probably woudn't let me in.
I see what you are saying, but you could be digging a hole for yourself as they could be trying to see what your responce will be, they already know before you tell them.

If you order a fresh new passport thats a red light for sure as they may want to know why you have a new one when the other was still valid, then what are you going to do!! LIE!! NO you cannot cheat the system....if you say you lost it they will only delve further into the information from the previous passport that they have on record ie the hologram or scanning details and what will they find
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

albert17 is an unknown quantity at this point

So how quickly will a POE know when you left the US?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:14 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albert17
So how quickly will a POE know when you left the US?
By your boarding pass, or your VWP slip or scanning the passport before departure...
It could be over looked but if they are suspicious of someone then immediately.

The airline knows exactly who is on the manifest to fly prior to take off only a shame this was not done in more detail before 911.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Oct 29th 2007 at 10:16 am.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

albert17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Boarding passes and VWP departure slips are given to the Airline, so I do not believe that Immigration knows immediately.

So if one leaves the US and returns 1-7 days later, will the POE know?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Looks like a pretty reasonable statement to me. Full of yourself, much?
Hi:

Reasonable perhaps. Last time I looked, it was wrong.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by albert17
Boarding passes and VWP departure slips are given to the Airline, so I do not believe that Immigration knows immediately.

So if one leaves the US and returns 1-7 days later, will the POE know?
They are given to the airline and in all honesty I forget the amount of time that they have to hand over the information, probabaly because we used to do it the same day.

Major airlines may take longer as I have heard of folk that did not hand in thier departure cards in and the US was aware they had even left.

Remeber that immigration and the airlines work hand in hand I don't have this as fact but it would make sence that any information that was taken by the airlines was then accessible to the Immigration department.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Oct 29th 2007 at 10:30 am.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:43 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Reasonable perhaps. Last time I looked, it was wrong.
God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Lilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to all

There's actually a new checkout system now where you have to scan your passport into a machine and you get a barcoded slip back. Don't know if it's yet at every airport, but no doubt it soon will be.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Looks like a pretty reasonable statement to me. Full of yourself, much?
He has a right to be "full of himself" - he's an expert in the field.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

speedaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

If you order a fresh new passport thats a red light for sure as they may want to know why you have a new one when the other was still valid, then what are you going to do!! LIE!!
well no I don't have to lie. I could just tell them I thought the process of getting back in as a permenant resident would be smoother if i had a fresh passport.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

And they'll ask Why? What were you hiding?

Your actions in coming in on the VWP make it sound like even you thought you had abandoned your PR. Your actions now about thinking about getting a new passport to hide stamps in the old one, going to Canada etc sound very dodgy.

You really should take the advice given quite some time ago and get a lawyer.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by speedaz
well no I don't have to lie. I could just tell them I thought the process of getting back in as a permenant resident would be smoother if i had a fresh passport.
Hi:

Go see that lawyer -- it is a good idea to ask if they have ever TRIED an abandonment case. Note I did not say to ask if they have tried MANY such cases, but whether or not they have tried ANY. With a couple of exceptions, I've had to educate the Immigration Judge every time I try one of these -- and I've tried less than ten.

I'm not kidding -- do not hang around here -- what you want to do is the type of thing for attorney-client relationship. And one for which not many immigration lawyers will be qualified.

These cases are quite fact specific -- an example can be found at

http://www.lexisnexis.com/practicear...dfs/web358.pdf
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I had a similar internal debate recently. I had visited the US embassy in London 4 weeks prior to coming to the US, to get a consular report of birth abroad for my USC son.

It occurred to me that *technically* I'd been on US soil just 4 weeks prior to arriving at the POE in Boston

I had the common sense to not try and argue that one!
It would have been wrong to have made the argument. U.S. Embassies are not considered to be U.S. territory. They are foreign territory under a sovereign immunity. Not the same thing. (this is true for embassies generally).