British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   how do i enter the us (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/how-do-i-enter-us-753301/)

Duncan Roberts Mar 31st 2012 6:16 pm

Re: how do i enter the us

Originally Posted by tipex (Post 9980803)
I will be applying for an esta just incase.

Definitely don't do that. It's not going to look very good if you rock up to the border and attempt to show the US is your permanent home with a freshly minted approval to enter the US as a visitor.

tipex Sep 21st 2012 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9982063)
I suggest you read up more on "abandonment of PR status" and stop listening to the POE officer, the ASC center, and any other government agency. Abandonment of PR status is easy to do, even if you've been outside the USA less than 1 year, if you have not taken action to preserve and continue your ties to the USA. At the moment, it sounds like you have zero ties to the USA.

Others are making it sound way too easy to do what you are planning to do. It is not as simple as you are thinking. For example, "if we needed more time we just had to fill out a form and this could be extended to 2 years". That form must be filed from inside the USA, you have to be in the USA for the biometrics associated with that form, and it only *helps* if you need to temporarily stay outside the USA for up to two years...it does not prevent abandonment of PR status altogether. You still must maintain your ties to the USA. You still must prove your stay abroad is temporary.

But, the answer to your original question on this thread is still....you are a US PR, not a tourist, so you will enter using the 1-year PR stamp in your passport.

Thank you for the clarification of usernames, too. Two usernames are not allowed, so thank you for explaining that you are two different people.

Rene

Just an update.

I feel you gave me a hard time over this situation and you did put the frighteners on me.
I arrived here 9 days after my stamp in my passport expired, i was asked why? and then let go. i have my green card sorted and just got my ss card.

civilservant Sep 21st 2012 3:56 pm

Then you were lucky - Noorah was 100% accurate in what she was saying.

Noorah101 Sep 21st 2012 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by tipex (Post 10292740)
Just an update.

I feel you gave me a hard time over this situation and you did put the frighteners on me.
I arrived here 9 days after my stamp in my passport expired, i was asked why? and then let go. i have my green card sorted and just got my ss card.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Everything I said is still true, though. If I would have said "oh, you'll be fine, don't worry..." and then it didn't go well for you, you would have been upset that someone didn't warn you of what *could* happen.

It's best to be prepared for the worst, and pleasantly surprised when it goes well.

Rene

tipex Sep 21st 2012 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10292906)
I'm glad it worked out for you. Everything I said is still true, though. If I would have said "oh, you'll be fine, don't worry..." and then it didn't go well for you, you would have been upset that someone didn't warn you of what *could* happen.

It's best to be prepared for the worst, and pleasantly surprised when it goes well.

Rene

Thank you , so am i.

This wasn't intended to be an attack on you at all, just an update,

welllllll! maybe a bit of smugness :D

celticgrid Sep 21st 2012 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by tipex (Post 10292740)
Just an update.

You did follow previous advice and get your tax returns sorted, didn't you?

Some POE agents are nice, some are not, and you sailed through with a nice one. The IRS only have one mood and, if you ever want to think about naturalizing, you want to be on the good side of the IRS.

Welcome.

tipex Sep 21st 2012 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 10293011)

Some POE agents are nice, some are not, and you sailed through with a nice one. The IRS only have one mood and, if you ever want to think about naturalizing, you want to be on the good side of the IRS.

Welcome.

that's on my list now that i have my ss card. the accountant i have said can't do nothing without a ss card. thanks

Bink Sep 21st 2012 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 10293011)

Welcome.

This is good advice. Getting on the wrong side of the IRS is no fun... Make sure your taxes are sorted.

Noorah101 Sep 21st 2012 10:14 pm

OP has posted his success. Thread closed.

Rene