Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How Chang Of Address Works Inside Ins Office

How Chang Of Address Works Inside Ins Office

Old Jun 18th 2004, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

oh_INS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Chang Of Address Works Inside Ins Office

I wonder how INS officer handle change of address request does they follow guidline also or there is processing time too.
and if yes how long it takes to send the whole file to the new INS office?
Did they send it by regular mail?

Just wondering any advice

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 18th 2004, 5:20 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Chang Of Address Works Inside Ins Office

Originally posted by oh_INS
I wonder how INS officer handle change of address request does they follow guidline also or there is processing time too.

Thanks in advance
To change the status of any pending case you need to call the miss-information line and let them know. It takes up to 15 weeks for them to update the new address in their system, you should get a confirmation that your address have been changed within 16 weeks. My husband called the miss-information like to change the address on my I-130, we got the confirmation letter 8 days later. I called them 2 months and 3 weeks ago to change the address on my I-765, and I am still waiting on the confirmation letter. I called them last week to find out what was the hold up and they told me to write MSC/NBC to let them know my address has been changed.
Everytime the alien move to a different place, you need to send an AR-11 to DHS in Kentucky to let them know your address is changed. Green card holders included.
Please notice that the AR-11 does NOT change the address on a pending case.. You need to call the NCSC, if you don't get the confirmation letter (regular mail by the way), you need to write the service center where your file is a letter.
As for transfering cases from one service center to another.. I have no experience. Good Luck!!
Old Jun 18th 2004, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

oh_INS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
To change the status of any pending case you need to call the miss-information line and let them know. It takes up to 15 weeks for them to update the new address in their system, you should get a confirmation that your address have been changed within 16 weeks. My husband called the miss-information like to change the address on my I-130, we got the confirmation letter 8 days later. I called them 2 months and 3 weeks ago to change the address on my I-765, and I am still waiting on the confirmation letter. I called them last week to find out what was the hold up and they told me to write MSC/NBC to let them know my address has been changed.
Everytime the alien move to a different place, you need to send an AR-11 to DHS in Kentucky to let them know your address is changed. Green card holders included.
Please notice that the AR-11 does NOT change the address on a pending case.. You need to call the NCSC, if you don't get the confirmation letter (regular mail by the way), you need to write the service center where your file is a letter.
As for transfering cases from one service center to another.. I have no experience. Good Luck!!
What do u mean by miss-information, is this the 1800 number?
Old Jun 18th 2004, 5:41 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

What do u mean by miss-information, is this the 1800 number?
Yeah, we (this newsgroup) call it "The miss-information line" beause it isn't helpful at all LOL.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 5:49 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Please notice that the AR-11 does NOT change the address on a pending case.
Ahhhh crap...we mailed in the change of address- that means we have to call the misinformation line too?
Old Jun 18th 2004, 6:21 pm

Originally posted by jcapulet
Ahhhh crap...we mailed in the change of address- that means we have to call the misinformation line too?
If it is a pending case you have to call the 1-800 line. If you don't receive the confirmation of address change.. then write the service center a letter.
I have said this a million times.. but for my stinky sista I would say it once again, The AR-11 DOES NOT change the address on a pending case.. It is used ONLY to notify the DHS that the address of the alien has changed. Cory is an alien hehe!!
Stinky! the sun is coming out!!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 10:43 am
Jadm

>
    > To change
    > the status of any pending case you need to call the miss-information
    > line and let them know. It takes up to 15 weeks for them to update the
    > new address in their system, you should get a confirmation that your
    > address have been changed within 16 weeks. My husband called the miss-
    > information like to change the address on my I-130, we got the
    > confirmation letter 8 days later.

... we have changed my UK hubs address 2 times and NEVER got a
confirmation letter...yet still get correspondence from BCIS okay,
weird.

Old Jun 21st 2004, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

GoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant future

I didn't know I was supposed to call the mis-information line until I read a post here on that topic. The "funny" thing is that when I called the line last week to check on the status of my case, the lady asked me if I changed my address recently. And I said, "yes I did, and I mailed the form and call the 1-800 number to inform USCIS of the change." And she said "you are not supposed to call the 1-800 line. We change addresses only for pending naturalization cases...."

Does that surprise you? I'm glad I didn't talk to this lady when I called in to change my address....
Old Jun 21st 2004, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance
Hi:

Here in Los Angeles, they recommend sending in a copy of the AR-11 to the adjudications unit. This is in ADDITION to sending it to the Kentrucky people.

If a notice of interview comes back, they DO check the AR-11 database.

In addition, an incidental advantage of having an attoreny is that she will ALSO get a copy of the notice [or should].
Old Jun 21st 2004, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

We mailed in a copy to the Los Angeles office. I never called the 1-800 number. This was 1 1/2 years ago though.

Someone actually called us (on the telephone, talk about shock) from the LA office to verify the address change.

I thoght it would be a headache but it wasn't!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

I mailed the AR-11 to Kentucky, notified TSC, and notified my local district office in Jacksonville. Texas confirmed they had received my address change and reminded me that I needed to notify Kentucky. Jacksonville also wrote to me letting me know I had to notify Kentucky. This was in March. I didn't call the 800 number. I followed the instructions as they are given on the USCIS web site.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/address.htm#how

"The USCIS has created an additional procedure and recommends additional notifications for those aliens who are also applicants for benefits. An applicant for naturalization may comply with the law by filing a Form AR-11 AND telephoning the National Customer Service Center to advise that office of the change of address. Applicants and petitioners for any other benefits should file a Form AR-11 AND notify in writing the local office processing their case of any change of address. Please see Change of Address (found under Contacting Us) on your local office About Us page."
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:38 am
L D Jones

GoodGirl_J wrote:
    >
    > I didn't know I was supposed to call the mis-information line until I
    > read a post here on that topic. The "funny" thing is that when I called
    > the line last week to check on the status of my case, the lady asked me
    > if I changed my address recently. And I said, "yes I did, and I mailed
    > the form and call the 1-800 number to inform USCIS of the change." And
    > she said "you are not supposed to call the 1-800 line. We change
    > addresses only for pending naturalization cases...."
    >
    > Does that
    > surprise you? I'm glad I didn't talk to this lady when I called in to
    > change my address....

It doesn't surprise me. That's the way I originally interpreted the
USCIS webpage that describes changing one's address. As usual, multiple
calls to the 800 number result in multiple answers to the same question

The page http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/address.htm says

"The USCIS has created an additional procedure and recommends additional
notifications for those aliens who are also applicants for benefits" and
then goes on to describe what applicants for naturalization should do
(ie, call the 800 number).

And then

"Applicants and petitioners for any other benefits should file a Form
AR-11 AND notify in writing the local office processing their case of
any change of address."

The page does not say that every alien should call the 800 number

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:46 am

Originally posted by sphyrapicus
I mailed the AR-11 to Kentucky, notified TSC, and notified my local district office in Jacksonville. Texas confirmed they had received my address change and reminded me that I needed to notify Kentucky. Jacksonville also wrote to me letting me know I had to notify Kentucky. This was in March. I didn't call the 800 number. I followed the instructions as they are given on the USCIS web site.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/address.htm#how

"The USCIS has created an additional procedure and recommends additional notifications for those aliens who are also applicants for benefits. An applicant for naturalization may comply with the law by filing a Form AR-11 AND telephoning the National Customer Service Center to advise that office of the change of address. Applicants and petitioners for any other benefits should file a Form AR-11 AND notify in writing the local office processing their case of any change of address. Please see Change of Address (found under Contacting Us) on your local office About Us page."

Hey!!! Long time no post!! It is great to see you here!!
Take care!!!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 12:26 am
mstuckaNOSPAM

FYI --

My wife filed AR-11s and then called the 800 number. She called again
about something, and found out I, as USC, needed to file something
different (I-865?) to back up the I-130 application.

She called the 800 number again, and the guy said we should go back to the
Rhode Island office (where we filed) and Boston (the region we moved to)
to verify which one had the file. Rhode Island told us only the national
benefits center would have the files anyway. His advice was to photocopy
the receipts/Notices of Action from our case and staple to each one a copy
of the AR-11, then mail all that to the address in Missouri.

Fun fun fun ...

--
Mike Stucka / mstucka at math.luc.edu
This person runs on ethanol, an environmentally friendly alternative fuel.

Old Jun 27th 2004, 5:47 am

Originally posted by mstuckaNOSPAM
FYI --

My wife filed AR-11s and then called the 800 number. She called again
about something, and found out I, as USC, needed to file something
different (I-865?) to back up the I-130 application.

She called the 800 number again, and the guy said we should go back to the
Rhode Island office (where we filed) and Boston (the region we moved to)
to verify which one had the file. Rhode Island told us only the national
benefits center would have the files anyway. His advice was to photocopy
the receipts/Notices of Action from our case and staple to each one a copy
of the AR-11, then mail all that to the address in Missouri.

Fun fun fun ...

--
Mike Stucka / mstucka at math.luc.edu
This person runs on ethanol, an environmentally friendly alternative fuel.
What a pain!!
I have to write MSC/NBC to let them know my address has been changed even though I called the miss-information line 3000 times!, what a waste!!
But it is Saturday so I am a happy puppy!!
Good Luck with the change of address saga!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.