Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How can somebody come and study in the US?

Wikiposts

How can somebody come and study in the US?

Old Sep 10th 2002, 6:17 pm
Agresao

Default How can somebody come and study in the US?

Hi,

[this might be a litthe off topic]

I was just wondering... A friend from Germany visited me in the US these days, and
she was thinking about coming to study here (undergraduate). However, she could never
afford the tuition and the cost of living. For somebody coming from Germany (where at
least tuition in the state universities is close to nothing) these costs seem rather
on the exorbitant side.

So, how can people from other countries afford studying here? I met a couple of
foreign students myself and most of them are from countries where I doubt that the
average family could raise the 10k+ needed for tuition only at a us college. Are they
all rich kids, were they granted international scholarships or have they all
relatives in the us who are financing them? Most financial aid for foreign students
is limited to graduate students, student loans are not for non-citizens, so that's
not an option either.

So how can one do it?

Old Sep 11th 2002, 8:37 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can somebody come and study in the US?

I'd like to know the answer to that one too! We lived in the Far East for a few years before coming to the US on an intra-company transfer. Many Singaporean students would travel overseas, either mostly to Australia, the UK or the US (most students are not given complete freedom to follow their preferred course in Singapore and the country can't offer as many choices of courses).

It seemed to be more prestigious for Singaporeans to go overseas for their studies (Malaysians too). Perhaps there is a certain social 'cachet' in doing so, and some institutions are definitely favoured as they are seen to be better for career prospects. I don't know how most families funded courses overseas (although my eldest child went to an International school there and there were many extremely wealthy Asian students attending - especially ethnic Chinese from Indonesia & Malaysia). Asians do revere education as it's seen as a passport to a good paying job.

I think that in the Asian context, the whole family will pull together and pool their money where necessary to send a student overseas. Perhaps they are able to take out bank loans - I'm sure that this can be done from local Singapore banks, I have no idea about other countries.

Of course, many colleges welcome overseas students as they have to pay the higher international student course fees (in the UK some people even think this is sometimes to the detriment of the home country students who are not offered a place).

We have been in the US for two years and had no idea we would be living here. Back home in the UK the course fees are negligible compared to the States (and a first degree course is generally for 3 years, unlike 4 years in the US).

Unlike many American citizens we didn't start a college plan as soon as our children were born as you don't even need to think about it in the UK....consequently we can't afford the extortionate course fees at either the public or private universities. We still have our house in England which we rent out, and as my husband is on an L1 visa and we haven't emigrated from our home country, we hope that when our eldest goes to university next year the fees should be under 2,000 pounds and not USD $20,000 per year which would be payable in the US. Of course, in addition to the course fees you have to pay for accommodation, clothes, text books, transportation etc...

It really is a nightmare for those with teenagers who are new to the US.
Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:35 am
Thorsten

Agresao wrote:
    > I was just wondering... A friend from Germany visited me in the US these days, and
    > she was thinking about coming to study here (undergraduate). However, she could
    > never afford the tuition and the cost of living.

> Most financial aid for foreign students is limited to graduate students,

Strictly speaking, most international students don't receive financial aid (i.e.,
need based funding), but rather research or teaching assistantships, merit based
scholarships (e.g. Fulbright), or are part of bilateral exchange programs (intl.
students get tuition waivers in the U.S. and U.S. students don't have to pay
tuition abroad.)

You're right, most of these students seem to pursue graduate studies. I know of a few
exchange programs where intl. students take undergraduate classes in the U.S. (and
sometimes can get an undergraduate degree in the process.) Very rarely--if ever--does
such a program take more than one year, i.e., it might be extremely hard to find any
kind of program that sponsors a whole four years of college for an intl. student.

Thus, coming to the U.S. for graduate studies is much more attractive for many intl.
students. This is particular true for Germans. The German university system is
structured in such a way that many students pass a series of intermediate exams
(German "Vordiplom") after only two years of university studies. Many U.S. schools
accepts this as the equivalent of a U.S. undergraduate degree and many German
students enter U.S. graduate programs at this point, most often thru some kind of
exchange program.

So, if your friend is in no particular hurry to come to the U.S. now, this might be a
viable alternative for her: Pick a German university that has a graduate exchange
program with the U.S. school of her choice. Complete the "undergraduate" program
there and start the grad. program in the U.S. immediately thereafter. This means that
she could get a Masters degree within three years for little or no tuition.

Thorsten

Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:57 am
Jjoe

Hi Agresao,

I was an international student myself and I do not come from a wealthy family. I was
trying to come to study in the US for a long time (from freshmen years to be exact).

Applying to the US Universities takes very long time: mailing application forms,
TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc, etc... so be patient.

Options:

1. There are number of programs available for Undergraduate students, mainly
Government funded student exchanges. Go to US embassy and visit USIA or USAID.
They will provide all of the information regarding studying in the US. The
downward part is that you will get J1 visa with 2 year HRR (means: you have to go
back to Germany for 2 years after the completion of the program or you have to get
a waver - another story.) This funding usually is provided for 1 academic year,
after that you have to apply again. After you complete 1 year of fellowship, some
Universities may wave out-of state tuition for you. Investigate/study every
University thoroughly before you apply. Although if you participate through this
program you may not have any choice of the University.

2. Private funding (hard to find). You will get F1 visa without any restrictions.
USIA can also provide a list of private organizations to finance Undergraduate
education. Private funding can last for up to entire 4 years.

3. Applying to the US universities can take a long time (up to 3 years). I suggest:
get Undergraduate degree in Germany (probably better undergraduate program than
average/cheap US University), meanwhile investigate/study US universities:
Harvard/Stanford/Cornell/USC/UCB/UCLA/etc... take TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc... and
apply for MS or PhD programs. Chances are by the time you are accepted and ready
to go to the US, you will have your German BS degree.

For more information visit USIA or USAID. These organizations are affiliated with the
US embassy and they have enormous information/references/catalogs for many (almost
all) US Universities.

Hope this helps, joe

"Agresao" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    > Hi,
    > [this might be a litthe off topic]
    > I was just wondering... A friend from Germany visited me in the US these days, and
    > she was thinking about coming to study here (undergraduate). However, she could
    > never afford the tuition and the cost of living. For somebody coming from Germany
    > (where at least tuition in the state universities is close to nothing) these costs
    > seem rather on the exorbitant side.
    > So, how can people from other countries afford studying here? I met a couple of
    > foreign students myself and most of them are from countries where I doubt that the
    > average family could raise the 10k+ needed for tuition only at a us college. Are
    > they all rich kids, were they granted international scholarships or have they all
    > relatives in the us who are financing them? Most financial aid for foreign students
    > is limited to graduate students, student loans are not for non-citizens, so that's
    > not an option either.
    > So how can one do it?

Old Sep 11th 2002, 4:14 pm
Thorsten

jjoe wrote:

> 3. Applying to the US universities can take a long time (up to 3 years). I suggest:
    > get Undergraduate degree in Germany (probably better undergraduate program than
    > average/cheap US University), meanwhile investigate/study US universities:
    > Harvard/Stanford/Cornell/USC/UCB/UCLA/etc... take TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc... and
    > apply for MS or PhD programs. Chances are by the time you are accepted and ready
    > to go to the US, you will have your German BS degree.

Excellent advise! One additional comment though, don't limit your search to Ivy
League (or top California) schools.

There are many more world class universities in the U.S. Most are much easier to get
into (chances are you won't be a budding top scientist after just getting your
undergrad. degree), be located in cheaper areas, and the environment might be more
friendly, too (not as "cut-throat".) My brother, e.g., just got a graduate degree in
biochemistry from the University of Oklahoma, where they've been working on the Human
Genome Project. It just doesn't get any more top notch than that.

Thorsten

Old Sep 12th 2002, 5:08 am
Agresao

Englishmum <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Unlike many American citizens we didn't start a college plan as soon as our
    > children were born as you don't even need to think about it in the
    > UK....consequently we can't afford the extortionate course fees at either the
    > public or private universities. We still have our house in England which we rent
    > out, and as my husband is on an L1 visa and we haven't emigrated from our home
    > country, we hope that when our eldest goes to university next year the fees should
    > be under 2,000 pounds and not USD $20,000 per year which would be payable in the
    > US. Of course, in addition to the course fees you have to pay for accommodation,
    > clothes, text books, transportation etc...
    > It really is a nightmare for those with teenagers who are new to the US.

I don't know many people in this situation; most of the "H-1B people" I know have
very young kids, and they've already started to save for the college fund... One
thing that might make it easier for you would be to get a green card before your son
starts college (assuming your husband's employer applies for it). Being a permanent
resident will put him in a different category, he would be eligible for many
benefits, including financial aid, student loans, lower tuition fees.