British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   How can I get a B2 Visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/how-can-i-get-b2-visa-696840/)

Elsie Woo Dec 13th 2010 11:37 pm

How can I get a B2 Visa?

Hello folks!

Would just like a little bit of help off you immigration experts!

I am a British citizen and my friend is married to an American citizen, We have a 6 month plan to travel the whole of America, well a road trip round half of it!:rofl: I know I can get a VWP and I have been researching but that is not enough time for what we all want to do so I would like to get a B2 visa. Can someone out there assist me on how I go about getting one?
Would be appreciated

Woo.

meauxna Dec 14th 2010 12:20 am

Re: How can I get a B2 Visa?

hi there,
If you have a scan of the thread topics on the first two pages, you can read the tales of woe of people who did not ask first. You very likely will not get a B-2 visa for that purpose.

If you apply for and are denied a visa, you must declare that on a fresh ESTA application and hope you will still be allowed to use the VWP.
Visa-free travel is a pretty nice perk, so please consider carefully before throwing that away.

ian-mstm Dec 14th 2010 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Elsie Woo (Post 9038846)
I know I can get a VWP and I have been researching but that is not enough time for what we all want to do...

Generally, if you are eligible for the VWP you will not be granted a B-2 visa. US immigration is not like "Burger King"... you can't have it your way.

Ian

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 14th 2010 2:26 am

You get one by applying successfully.

You have said very little about your circumstances hence the responses, people filling in the gaps.

Are you retired?

Elsie Woo Dec 14th 2010 7:11 pm

Sorry, No I am 21 and have took a year out of work (Hairdressing) to do this I have saved up for a while to do this. Surely if we are in the VWP we could get a B2 visa easily? Getting invited by a US citizen and so on and to show they have funds. If I do get denied this visa I won't be able to go on the VWP again?

meauxna Dec 14th 2010 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Elsie Woo (Post 9040305)
Surely if we are in the VWP we could get a B2 visa easily?

No, that's what we're trying to point out to you.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 14th 2010 7:39 pm

All the things you mentioned are negatives.

Not saying you could not use the VWP, you may or may not, do not know the odds.

You should expect closer questioning.

Noorah101 Dec 14th 2010 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Elsie Woo (Post 9040305)
Sorry, No I am 21 and have took a year out of work (Hairdressing) to do this I have saved up for a while to do this.

It's in your favor that you have the funds to cover your stay in the USA, but it's against your favor that you are taking a year off work, that means you have no pressing need to get back to the UK anytime soon.

Surely if we are in the VWP we could get a B2 visa easily?
No. If you are eligible to use the VWP, it's actually very difficult to get a B-2. The embassy will not understand why you can't just visit for less than 90 days at a time.

Getting invited by a US citizen and so on and to show they have funds.
What do you mean "to show they have funds"? You mean you have the funds, or the USC has the funds and intends to support you? Either way, knowing a USC does not work in your favor.

If I do get denied this visa I won't be able to go on the VWP again?
If you get denied a B-2 visa, you MIGHT be able to use the VWP again. You'd have to complete ESTA and declare the denied visa, and see if ESTA gets approved.

Rene

Bladerunner Dec 14th 2010 9:14 pm

You might want to consider splitting the road trip into two under-90-day segments with a break in between.

Noorah101 Dec 14th 2010 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bladerunner (Post 9040511)
You might want to consider splitting the road trip into two under-90-day segments with a break in between.

Excellent idea. And the break in between should be at least as long as you were just in the USA. So...90 days in, more than 90 days out, then attempt another VWP visit.

Rene

crg Dec 15th 2010 1:09 pm

Hi,

The consular officer will hear this story, close their eyes, and picture you clipping away in a hair salon somewhere in the US. The visa will most likely be denied.

Have you always been in the UK, or did you move there from another country?