Wikiposts

How best to move to the USA

Old Mar 20th 2010, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

karla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How best to move to the USA

Hello there,
I am a newbee here, but I have read and followed several posts/threads on this site to get my self used to, and educated about your etiquettes, nevertheless still believe every case is different although with similar headings.

My story very briefly: I am a 34 year old British female; educated professional up to masters level in architecture. Worked in a professional capacity for almost 10years. Not much in the way of major funds/cash reserves. No children at present and never married. No parent or family members are USA citizens. I have no USA or UK political ties/connections. And I have never been to or been refused entry into the USA in the past.

Criminal record may include bad mortgage/repossessed home and outstanding credit card debts one year ago after i lost my job. I wasn't in the UK to witness or see the whites of any judges eyes.

I have no communicable diseases, no mental disorder and no connection to a terrorist country/organisation.

I am presently thinking of a move to the USA with my USC born boyfriend.

Burning Questions:
1. I have read up on the different emigration options available to me and feel the marriage option will be the least painful. Please feel free to comment on my line of thought.

2. can I get round the possible criminal record hanging over my neck? Not sure, but I believe this may be my only stumbling block.

3. is it best to get married in or outside the USA? It appears if my boyfriend who is a US citizen were to apply using the K1, while I was outside the US it would take a very long time before we ever saw each other; short of him flying out every weekend.

4: I am presently temporarily living outside the UK, which is where I met my boyfriend. Can any application still be made if I am not in the UK but presently living and working in europe.?

5: Ideally I would like to be inside the USA with my boyfriend while the applications and paper work are being processed so that our lives together aren't put on hold. From my research, based on the VISA WAIVER PROGRAM, I can travel to the US without a visa for 90days. Then try to sort out possible marriage and or work permissions then green card while I am there. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for you advice/comments in advance

Karla
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:57 am
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How best to move to the USA

Originally Posted by karla
Hello there,
I am a newbee here, but I have read and followed several posts/threads on this site to get my self used to, and educated about your etiquettes, nevertheless still believe every case is different although with similar headings.

My story very briefly: I am a 34 year old British female; educated professional up to masters level in architecture. Worked in a professional capacity for almost 10years. Not much in the way of major funds/cash reserves. No children at present and never married. No parent or family members are USA citizens. I have no USA or UK political ties/connections. And I have never been to or been refused entry into the USA in the past.

Criminal record may include bad mortgage/repossessed home and outstanding credit card debts one year ago after i lost my job. I wasn't in the UK to witness or see the whites of any judges eyes.

I have no communicable diseases, no mental disorder and no connection to a terrorist country/organisIdiots are out already, coming down pretty good nowation.

I am presently thinking of a move to the USA with my USC born boyfriend.

Burning Questions:
1. I have read up on the different emigration options available to me and feel the marriage option will be the least painful. Please feel free to comment on my line of thought.

2. can I get round the possible criminal record hanging over my neck? Not sure, but I believe this may be my only stumbling block.

3. is it best to get married in or outside the USA? It appears if my boyfriend who is a US citizen were to apply using the K1, while I was outside the US it would take a very long time before we ever saw each other; short of him flying out every weekend.

4: I am presently temporarily living outside the UK, which is where I met my boyfriend. Can any application still be made if I am not in the UK but presently living and working in europe.?

5: Ideally I would like to be inside the USA with my boyfriend while the applications and paper work are being processed so that our lives together aren't put on hold. From my research, based on the VISA WAIVER PROGRAM, I can travel to the US without a visa for 90days. Then try to sort out possible marriage and or work permissions then green card while I am there. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for you advice/comments in advance

Karla
unless you have been charged, convicted and sentenced for bank fraud I don't think your financial failures constitute criminal activity.... but I may be mistaken. Fraud would definately be a crime of moral turpitude.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

olliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud of

Criminal record may include bad mortgage/repossessed home and outstanding credit card debts one year ago after i lost my job. I wasn't in the UK to witness or see the whites of any judges eyes. ... I am presently thinking of a move to the USA with my USC born boyfriend.
Where are you now?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:28 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Observations: #2 -- I was at a lecture the other day on immigration law for attorneys -- two successive lectures on citizenship and naturalization. The lecturer on naturalization noted that "being poor is a condition of bad moral character. Bankruptcies and foreclosures do not affect an application for naturalization.

#5 -- this course of action happens to be illegal. The criminal law of "conspiracy" and "aiding and abetting" makes it dangerous for the participants in this forum to advise you on how to do it. Many people do the course you ask about. However, when it goes bad, it goes very bad -- so bad it is often beyond repair.

No advice given nor intended.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Not only least painful, but perhaps even your only option.

"possible" criminal record. You should find out if this is a "definite" thing or not, and then you can find out if it will affect your immigration.

3. is it best to get married in or outside the USA?
The choice is yours where to get married. First I'd clear up whether you have a criminal record which might prohibit you from entering the USA using the VWP, and then focus on where to get married.

It appears if my boyfriend who is a US citizen were to apply using the K1, while I was outside the US it would take a very long time before we ever saw each other; short of him flying out every weekend.
It wouldn't take a very long time...only about 6 - 8 months. In the realm of immigration, that isn't very long. And, you can visit each other in the meantime, while your visa process is going on.

It depends...where are you now, what's your status there, and how long do you plan to be there?

5: Ideally I would like to be inside the USA with my boyfriend while the applications and paper work are being processed so that our lives together aren't put on hold. From my research, based on the VISA WAIVER PROGRAM, I can travel to the US without a visa for 90days.
This part is correct, assuming your possible criminal history does not prevent you from using the VWP...that isn't cleared up yet. You can't live in the USA while your visa process is going on, but you can visit, if you qualify for the VWP.

Then try to sort out possible marriage and or work permissions then green card while I am there. Any thoughts on this?
You can "sort out" things like that while you are visiting the USA, as long as "sort out" just means think about it and find the appropriate visa to use to immigrate to the USA. If "sort out" means coming to the USA as a visitor with the intent to remain and adjust status to permanent resident, then no...that's illegal.

Rene
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

"being poor is a condition of bad moral character."

Stuart - is there supposed to be a "not" in there?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

A criminal record generally requires a crime. You haven't listed any yet.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 6:18 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
"being poor is a condition of bad moral character."

Stuart - is there supposed to be a "not" in there?
You think it should read:

"not being poor is a condition of bad moral character."?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:07 am
Just Joined

karla is an unknown quantity at this point

waoo!! many thanks to everyone for all your replies.

Olliwat, noorah101, I am in sweden. And can stay here for as long as I want.

Fatbrit, I am not sure if I have a criminal record. I guess I will have to give Scotland-yard a bell to absolutely certain. Am I being naïve, doesn't unpaid credit card debts and failure to make mortgage payments/repossession amount to FRAUD.?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:15 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

waoo!! many thanks to everyone for all your replies.

Olliwat, noorah101, I am in sweden. And can stay here for as long as I want.

Fatbrit, I am not sure if I have a criminal record. I guess I will have to give Scotland-yard a bell to absolutely certain. Am I being naïve, doesn't unpaid credit card debts and failure to make mortgage payments/repossession amount to FRAUD.?
You've still not described a crime to me.

Generally in the civilised world if you don't pay your debts, it's a civil matter not a criminal one.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:55 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
You think it should read:

"not being poor is a condition of bad moral character."?
I agree 100%. Mea culpa.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

And I have never been to or been refused entry into the USA in the past.

Karla
Was it the VWP you were using to visit the USA in the past?

If you had a criminal record, do you not have to decalre this when using the VWP to fly to the USA?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 12:26 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
Was it the VWP you were using to visit the USA in the past?

If you had a criminal record, do you not have to decalre this when using the VWP to fly to the USA?
As people have been saying though, in most civilized countries, debts per se are not criminal offenses.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
As people have been saying though, in most civilized countries, debts per se are not criminal offenses.
I know, but im just curious, if she believes she commited a crime what did she put on the I-94W?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 12:29 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
I know, but im just curious, if she believes she commited a crime what did she put on the I-94W?
Ah, I see your point: if she believes she had committed a CIMT, but put down "No" then that is interesting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.