Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How to apply for b1 visa whilst in the states on vwp

How to apply for b1 visa whilst in the states on vwp

Old Jan 28th 2015, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to apply for b1 visa whilst in the states on vwp

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You need to be aware that if you go to Mexico and the B1 application is denied, you will need to reapply for ESTA, declaring the visa denial.

Old Jan 28th 2015, 3:51 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miltones
I am currently midway through a month long trip to the states on vwp. I was just wondering if anyone has experience of transferring from a vwp to b1 without returning to the UK?

I have a flight booked to London in early Febuary, which I hope to reschedule.

I want to apply for a 6 month B1 visa. Can I do this from within California?

If not, is Canada or Mexico an option, assuming I have a solid case?
Historical note: In 1848, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo ceded California from Mexico to the United States and on September 9, 1850, California was admitted to the Union as the 31st State. In other words, California is part of the United States.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

miltones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Historical note: In 1848, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo ceded California from Mexico to the United States and on September 9, 1850, California was admitted to the Union as the 31st State. In other words, California is part of the United States.
Useful!
Old Jan 28th 2015, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Useful!
Pub quiz?
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:02 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently midway through a month long trip to the states on vwp. I was just wondering if anyone has experience of transferring from a vwp to b1 without returning to the UK?

I have a flight booked to London in early Febuary, which I hope to reschedule.

I want to apply for a 6 month B1 visa. Can I do this from within California?

If not, is Canada or Mexico an option, assuming I have a solid case?
Seems like an odd thing to do as the only real advantage is that you can stay a little longer, at the end of the day as long as you have non-immigrant intent you can leave and re-enter, the consular officer is going to want a good explanation as would CBP either way. CBP use a rule of thumb of 183 days per year in determining non-immigrant intent, among other things ("duration of stay"). You're not going to go over that with two 90 day stays. But you will with a 90 day stay followed by a six-month stay with a visa, so in fact having a visa might make it less likely they'll let you in.

The only thing you can do on the VWP to extend your stay while in the US is to get married to a US citizen and apply for AOS, it does actually say that on I-94W but they don't issue them on paper anymore.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

An L visa is a possibility for the future, but is off the table right now as B visa affords sufficient permissions for all planned activities.
You seem to have a misunderstanding, B-1 and VWB allow you to do the same things, there is no difference. The only advantage of a B-1 entry is the maximum permitted duration of stay, plus you can apply for a change of status from B-1.