Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

To Houston or not to Houston, that is the question

To Houston or not to Houston, that is the question

Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: To Houston or not to Houston, that is the question

I've just moved from Houston to the UK, and am so relieved. I would honestly not recommend Houston as a place to live even for (and probably especially for) a short period of time. I would agree with other posters that living without a car is impossible, where ever you live, and especially with a small child. Its a souless place where people are not ready to welcome new people. The only people I met and became friends with during my time were non-houstonians (and I didnt just look for ex-pats).

the weather is unforgiving with only a couple of months a year where it is bearable, especially if you like the outdoor life. the whole culture that you experience in the UK, walking to shops coffee culture etc is almost impossible due to the heat and humidity. And I know that moving to another country is all about experiencing a different culture etc, but there really isnt anything to experience, which makes a stay there soul destroying.

I would agree with other posters that there are some really nice parts of Texas apart from Houston, but these are a long way away. Austin is fantastic, with much more of the lifestyle you like there.

If able to turn back the clock, would I agree to the move to Houston..... probably not, I have grown more as a person as we went through some really tough times, and my husbands position in the company is much better. but was it worth the hardship.... no. There would be other options to get us where we are now, and it seems like you have too the 3/1 week option. Its a relatively good flight and he would get stacks of airmiles!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandabee
I've just moved from Houston to the UK, and am so relieved. I would honestly not recommend Houston as a place to live even for (and probably especially for) a short period of time. I would agree with other posters that living without a car is impossible, where ever you live, and especially with a small child. Its a souless place where people are not ready to welcome new people. The only people I met and became friends with during my time were non-houstonians (and I didnt just look for ex-pats).

the weather is unforgiving with only a couple of months a year where it is bearable, especially if you like the outdoor life. the whole culture that you experience in the UK, walking to shops coffee culture etc is almost impossible due to the heat and humidity. And I know that moving to another country is all about experiencing a different culture etc, but there really isnt anything to experience, which makes a stay there soul destroying.

I would agree with other posters that there are some really nice parts of Texas apart from Houston, but these are a long way away. Austin is fantastic, with much more of the lifestyle you like there.

If able to turn back the clock, would I agree to the move to Houston..... probably not, I have grown more as a person as we went through some really tough times, and my husbands position in the company is much better. but was it worth the hardship.... no. There would be other options to get us where we are now, and it seems like you have too the 3/1 week option. Its a relatively good flight and he would get stacks of airmiles!
In addition to your post, the homicide rate in that City is off the charts!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yeah I forgot about the homicide, I had 2 kids in my class at school who were directly affected by guns, one's brother was killed for his 'rims' and another's sister was shot by her boyfriend. and I had another kid who was shot in the leg!

And don;t forget about armed bank robberies. My husband got caught up in one (he made the TV!) and our local bank in our "safe" neighbourhood was held up a couple of weeks ago.

AS someone else mentioned the driving is terrible we witnessed some pretty horrific crashes, one in real time which was very scary. And my classroom at the school I taught at was DEMOLISHED by a 14 year old kid that stole his dad's truck.

Oh and we saw a drive by shooting!

So glad to be outta that place!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:58 am
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

We've been in Houston for 4 years.

My 2 cents.....

Houston is a big city. A vehicle is a must. It does get HOT in summer. There is a potential for : strong to severe storms (including tornados), hurricanes, snow, ice and flooding. Traffic is terrible.
BUT
The weather is better than London. The people are VERY friendly - I don't know where previous posters lived in Houston, but we've lived in the Woodlands and Spring and the people are really friendly. I do know that places south and south west of Houston are a unfriendly and do have crime. Compared to other cities on the USA, Houston is probably an average crime city (not too bad considering the population and ethnic mix). There is lots to do in Houston. The economy and business climate in Texas and Houston appear to be a little more insulated compared to other cities/states north of Texas.

We've lived in the Middle East (Abu Dhabi) and that was LESS of culture shoc than Houston. In Abu Dhabi, what you don't know won't hurt you. In Houston, what you don't know could kill you (that sounds bad but it's not that bad if you respect the society). We lived in England and that was not too bad but the weather and cost of living got us down.

All in all, we are very happy in Houston and are putting down roots.

Maybe posters should be a little less personal in the criticism as you could be affecting some peoples life experiences....

(Just my 2 cents!! )