Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Horrible citizenship interview experience in NY

Horrible citizenship interview experience in NY

Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrible citizenship interview experience in NY

Originally Posted by Rete
No, you're not. You need the tax returns as well since they show proof that you are of good moral character and have filed and paid taxes.
Thanks. (and you also discoviking).
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:48 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

I have to say this is also the first time I hear on the board, or anywhere else that someone provides copies of Tax Returns and is asked for Tax Transcripts for the same years.

In the Sponsorship form for i-485 These forms are treated with equal weight (Submit one or the other)

You cannot be expected to produce the Original return, as it is mailed in when you file.

I think you got a new/nervious/bad day IO, but once you provide all they ask, there should be no more problems !

Good Luck
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Actually tax transcripts have always been the preferred evidence of tax adherence. Anyone can write up a phony tax return and say they filed. USCIS wants proof that you have and tax transcripts are the proof.

It is unfortunate that some AO let people use copies of filed returns since that only confuses the issue.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:58 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

It is unfortunate that some AO let people use copies of filed returns since that only confuses the issue.
I totally disagree with the above statement with a passion.

I find it FORTUNATE that applicants are allowed to use their own copies when TOLD that the copies are required and sufficient in the instructions.

I think it is VERY unfortunate that the instructions do not correlate to what is asked, and that Different IOs have different procedures and different documentation criteria for the same application type.

If the instructions indicate a document is acceptable as proof of filing, why in the world would you request another document to prove the same thing.

Accept it, or change the instructions, but don't blame the applicant for being "unprepared" when the applicant complied fully with all requested documentation. (Tax Transcript OR Tax Return copies, doesn't say BOTH.)

Anyone can write up a phony tax return and say they filed
I also digress on your comment about the possibility of Fraud. The same can be said on Tax Transcripts, Birth Records, ETC. All these documents can be fabricated or altered, but that does not stop USCIS from accepting them and scrutinizing them appropriately for authenticity and validity.

The only true way to validate these documents is an out-of-band validation...take the applicant out and for USCIS to contact the issuing agency independently, otherwise, it could be fabricated. it's all paper anyway, and color copies have come a LONG way. That's why the law is so severe on lying to them. They want you scared to death so you don't even consider cheating. (As it should be)

Most of the time, except for some high security documents (such as passports and GC cards, etc) these documents (specially old docs printed on plain paper) are only as good as the word of the applicant representing that the documents are truly what he/she says they are.

concluding; In my view:
Unfortunate USCIS does not accept as proof the documents it itself list as required and sufficient.

Unfortunate for some IOs to assume fraudulent intent on the applicant even when submitting all that was asked for (Which is what you are doing when the applicant brings a tax form he says he filed, and you ask for transcript, even though you accept only tax form copy for most others)

Fortunate most USCIS Agent actually complete applications without asking for further proof than the required proof as listed on instructions.