Home visit from USCIS

Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

jtb87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home visit from USCIS

I’m on a green card, have no conditions, and am divorced as of about a year ago.
Recently, I was called by my old next door neighbour to say that USCIS visited and were looking for me (even though I have kept my details up to date through their website). They asked a few questions and then left.
I haven’t heard anything from USCIS to explain why I’m being visited, (at an old address).
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what happened? Should I be concerned?
Old Mar 14th 2019, 12:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home visit from USCIS

In nearly 10 years on this board, I have never heard of this happening before.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
In nearly 10 years on this board, I have never heard of this happening before.
I have been searching online for anything about these visits and can find nothing either. It’s all very strange and boggles the mind.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 1:00 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I did the same, the only thing I can think of is that it's a delayed response to the removal of conditions. How long ago was that? Was there any contention in the divorce? Perhaps your ex-spouse called USCIS?
Old Mar 14th 2019, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Were they asking for donations to keep USCIS running?
Old Mar 14th 2019, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Searched through your 54 posts to the forums. I see that when you had your IR-1 visa interview at the US Embassy in London in 2014. At some point you were asked to show them your PA marriage license as well as your marriage certificate. As mentioned back then that request was and still is very unusual.

The only thought that comes to mind is at some point you may have inadvertently claimed US Citizenship on some form or when applying for a job, etc. Or perhaps you have been arrested for something in the past in either the UK or in the US before your IR interview and it was not disclosed?

Should you be concerned? If I were the one that USCIS had come to visit, I would be concerned.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the US has law enforcement officers working with or under the mandate of USCIS to visit homes/businesses where it is suspected that an immigrant legal or illegal is living/working and in contravention of the Immigration Law?

We do in Canada and they are called Inland Enforcement Officers working for CBSA who have the mandate to carry out such investigations when warranted and that includes visiting a home. Normally they would send out a call in letter if wishing to speak to you. Lots of Permanent Residents are convicted of crimes and get sent to jail and dependent on the crime/sentence can then be reported and face deportation even if living in the country as a PR for 30 years plus. Lots are probably the victims of what we call poison pen letters where allegations are made against them by ex wives/husbands etc.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 2:32 pm
Often not so civil...

Surely the US has law enforcement officers working with or under the mandate of USCIS to visit homes/businesses where it is suspected that an immigrant legal or illegal is living/working and in contravention of the Immigration Law?
They're called ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)
Old Mar 14th 2019, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Extremely rare but I have seen home visits where someone is in process and there are red flags, but not like this.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
They're called ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)
Exactamundo and they are part of USCIS so I don't see what the problem is. They are allowed to visit your home if warranted. Do they do it to all immigrants/aliens/GC holders on a regular basis with no suspicion of offences then the answer is NO
Old Mar 14th 2019, 5:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Exactamundo and they are part of USCIS so I don't see what the problem is. They are allowed to visit your home if warranted. Do they do it to all immigrants/aliens/GC holders on a regular basis with no suspicion of offences then the answer is NO
Actually, ICE is not the same as the Canadian counterparts. If there is a visit, it is because of a red flag and they are attempting to either verify the validity of the benefit sought, i.e. the marriage is a real marriage, or ICE is usually the agency that comes to take you in for questioning. It is highly unusual for them to make a home visit.

There could be several reasons why USCIS visited his former residence and yes, it might well be for something not serious. But he is a person who got a benefit, PR status, through marriage and the marriage has gone the way of the dinosaurs. Has he been reported for a fraudulent marriage? Has he marked or claimed to a USC when he wasn't? As he received any means tested benefits that he was not entitled to? Has he a criminal history in the UK or one in the US?
Old Mar 14th 2019, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Just for clarification. I’ve never been arrested or anything. I was married for 9 years also. Due to the length of time I was married already, before coming to the US, I was able to come without any conditions on the green card.
I have never claimed citizenship on anything, and I haven’t applied for citizenship either. Due to my divorce, I was encouraged to wait a few more years to reduce chances of any red flags being raised.
I cant think of any reason they could have come visiting.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
Actually, ICE is not the same as the Canadian counterparts. If there is a visit, it is because of a red flag and they are attempting to either verify the validity of the benefit sought, i.e. the marriage is a real marriage, or ICE is usually the agency that comes to take you in for questioning. It is highly unusual for them to make a home visit.

There could be several reasons why USCIS visited his former residence and yes, it might well be for something not serious. But he is a person who got a benefit, PR status, through marriage and the marriage has gone the way of the dinosaurs. Has he been reported for a fraudulent marriage? Has he marked or claimed to a USC when he wasn't? As he received any means tested benefits that he was not entitled to? Has he a criminal history in the UK or one in the US?
We just like to simplify things. Immigration Law is mandated under the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act and falls under the Government Agency known as Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada. You would think that employees of this Agency would work at Ports of Entry but they dont. Those officers work for CBSA who have the authority to act as Immigration officers under the IRPA. All enforcement involving Immigration matters where a removal order is being sought is done by CBSA. IRCC officers can refuse applications for visas, work permits etc.
Both agencies share information.

ICE has two primary components: Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO). HSI’s mission is the criminal investigation of transnational criminal organizations that illegally exploit America's travel, trade, financial and immigration systems. ERO’s mission is to identify, arrest, and remove aliens who illegally entered the U.S. ERO deportation officers are sometimes identified as “ICE agents,” a misnomer, as the only agents of ICE are the special agents of HSI.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

The whole point of concern is also based on here-say (i.e. an old neighbor told me...). It could have been the local Investment Society (UCIS, a huge trip for them from Christchurch, Canterbury!) who showed up! Not sure any of my American relatives would have a clue what USCIS even is..
Old Mar 14th 2019, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be expecting something in the mail. You could get an infopass and enquire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.