Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Holiday in US while L1 is under process

Holiday in US while L1 is under process

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Megd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday in US while L1 is under process

Hi All,

Our L1 visa is under process and last year we had booked our holiday to US in July. Do you think we can still go ahead with our plans? Or can you not travel to the US whilst your L1 visa is under process.

Many Thanks
Meghna
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday in US while L1 is under process

it is possible but apparently far from advisable.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megd
Do you think we can still go ahead with our plans?
Yes.

Or can you not travel to the US whilst your L1 visa is under process.
There's no such restriction. Enjoy your trip!

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
it is possible but apparently far from advisable.
No idea why you're suggesting it's "far from advisable". To my knowledge, there are no travel restrictions to the US while ANY visa is being processed - and it certainly doesn't affect the visa process at all.

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No idea why you're suggesting it's "far from advisable". To my knowledge, there are no travel restrictions to the US while ANY visa is being processed - and it certainly doesn't affect the visa process at all.

Ian
Thanks Ian (theres no relieved icon i can use)!
but natashab post had me worried for a moment
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's company delayed filing for his L1 visa because they wanted him to make a short trip over there - they needed him out there urgently. The attorney told him he should not enter the country on a visa waiver whilst a visa application was in progress as it was likely you would be turned away, presumably because they might question whether you plan to overstay the VWP.

I am not too impressed with the attorney thus far but i assume he at least vaguely knows what he is talking about (!). Apologies if i have confused you but we were categorically told by both the HR team at the company and the immigration attorney they use, that it wasn't a good idea.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's company delayed filing for his L1 visa because they wanted him to make a short trip over there - they needed him out there urgently. The attorney told him he should not enter the country on a visa waiver whilst a visa application was in progress as it was likely you would be turned away, presumably because they might question whether you plan to overstay the VWP.

I am not too impressed with the attorney thus far but i assume he at least vaguely knows what he is talking about (!). Apologies if i have confused you but we were categorically told by both the HR team at the company and the immigration attorney they use, that it wasn't a good idea.
It could just be your company's policy too. Better safe than sorry etc.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think their policy is usually 'go in blindly and hope for the best' tbh
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

The attorney told him he should not enter the country on a visa waiver whilst a visa application was in progress...
Without knowing all the details, I submit that the attorney is an idiot.

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Without knowing all the details, I submit that the attorney is an idiot.

Ian

Not going to disagree with you In fairness they are far more used to moving americans over to the UK, this is the first time they've done a UK > US transfer so as a poster above said i guess they must be playing it cautiously.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say my attorney also stated we should not travel whilst our Visa in 'in process'
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:35 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,

Our L1 visa is under process and last year we had booked our holiday to US in July. Do you think we can still go ahead with our plans? Or can you not travel to the US whilst your L1 visa is under process.

Many Thanks
Meghna
A reason why you will get different answers here is that the border agents have much power over whom to allow admission into the U.S. Although there's no rule prohibiting tourist entry while a L visa is in progress, other details of your case may add up to a point that will create suspicion on the agent's part that you will overstay. I think that's why some attorney will advise against doing that. I don't think there will be a problem for your entry, unless there's something relevant/concerning that you haven't posted.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,

Many Thanks
Meghna
I travelled to the US at least twice whilst my L1 was in progress on the VWP...wasn't a problem at all. Tbh - I don't think I (or they) even mentioned it
Old Jun 6th 2010, 3:23 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we came on a house hunting trip for 1 week whilst our L1A visa was in process - no issues whatsoever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.