Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Holiday in US while L1 is under process

Holiday in US while L1 is under process

Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

ravboxer21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holiday in US while L1 is under process

I am thinking of going to the US for a month while my l1 visa is processing? i just wish to visit the place of work and get familar with my surroundings? I hope this is possible. Please let me know your response peeps?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:42 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ravboxer21
I am thinking of going to the US for a month while my l1 visa is processing? i just wish to visit the place of work and get familar with my surroundings? I hope this is possible. Please let me know your response peeps?
Read the above posts in this thread.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Please let me know your response peeps?
Read the entire thread (especially post #4)... your question has already been answered.

Ian
Old Jun 10th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

i just re checked our correspondence. our attorney strongly suggested we didnt travel on the VWP once our application was submitted 'just in case' the POE officer detemined we were trying to get a head start.

the usual advice here is listen to your attorney- so we did
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
i just re checked our correspondence. our attorney strongly suggested we didnt travel on the VWP once our application was submitted 'just in case' the POE officer detemined we were trying to get a head start.

well thats put paid to mine and hubbies idea then of going out, before the L1 is received, to look for house/organise schools/cars etc
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

well the consensus here is ignore that advice, we chose not to but each to their own
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:18 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

We got told we couldn't be in the US the day our application was filed. No idea if this is true or not, but the lawyers were pretty adament on it.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

I travelled with no problems at all - at least twice. My lawyer didn't tell me anything of the sort so it never occurred to me....but I guess the only sure fire way of something not being a problem is not doing it!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

ravboxer21 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you! how long did you travel for?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Well... y'all can do whatever you want, but there are NO travel restrictions in place while a visa is being processed. If you don't want to travel, that's fine... but know that it's not because you can't or shouldn't.

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:25 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday

Fair enough. It's always good to listen from different sources and make the decision yourself at the end.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

thank you! how long did you travel for?
I'm really sorry - I don't remember - it was for meetings, it was 3 years ago now. Lots of people go over in advance to check out housing etc as well.

As Ian says - there are no restrictions on travel on the VWP while visa application in is in process