Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Holiday in the U.S. before H1B takes effect on October 1st?

Wikiposts

Holiday in the U.S. before H1B takes effect on October 1st?

Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:53 am
Just Joined

activa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday in the U.S. before H1B takes effect on October 1st?

I've got an approved H1B petition to start working in the U.S. on October 1st this year. If my information is correct, I can enter the country on H1B up to 10 days before the start date (so that would be September 21st).

What I really would like to do is take a 4 to 5 week holiday (or "vacation" as they say in the States) starting in August. I definitely wouldn't be working. That would allow me to find a place to live and get in touch with the local school. I think it's important that my children can start school as soon as possible (although they probably wouldn't be allowed to start until October 1st).

Anyway, my questions are:

1) Is it allowed to take this holiday before the H1B takes effect and enter the U.S. on VWP?

2) I suppose we would have to leave and re-enter the country to get the I-94. Can this be done from Canada or do we have to go back to Europe?

3) Is there any way my children can start school before October 1st? (preferably when school starts at the end of August).

Thanks.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday in the U.S. before H1B takes effect on October 1st?

1. Yes
2. Yes. Canada or Mexico should work, I think.
3. Don't know - I believe the schools are obliged to accept them regardless of immigration status, but I don't know whether or not it would be an immigration violation for them to attend.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by activa
3) Is there any way my children can start school before October 1st? (preferably when school starts at the end of August).
You'll probably want to run this by a US immigration attorney. My gut feeling says it's illegal for the children to enter the US as visitors with the intent to do non-touristy things - such as attend school... but since schools can't ask about immigration status, it may not be an issue. When you leave the US to re-enter in H-1B status, the children must go with you so they can re-enter the US in H-4 status.

Ian
Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for responding to my questions.

After thinking it through, I think it might be a bad idea to try and get my children in school before October 1st.

Question #2 is actually my main worry. We intend to travel to the U.S. for a few weeks before my start date anyway, but I'd like to avoid having to fly back to Europe and return a few weeks later for our "proper" H1B entry and get the I-94. That just doesn't make sense (and it's not good for my carbon footprint :-) ). I would prefer a holiday in September and start working working on October 1st without having to fly back to Europe for all the paperwork.

Does anyone have experience with this scenario?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Cross into Canada/Mexico, turn your car around, and come right back showing the H-1 and H-4 visas.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jxv73
Cross into Canada/Mexico, turn your car around, and come right back showing the H-1 and H-4 visas.
I'll be in Texas, so that would be convenient. The question is if this is a common way of doing this. Are there any potential problems I can run into? Has anyone on this forum done anything like that?

It seems perfectly legal to me, but I sure don't want to be stuck on the other side of the Mexican border with my family :-)
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The question is if this is a common way of doing this.
Yes, quite common... and perfectly legal.

Are there any potential problems I can run into?
The only potential issue is if you are found not to be admissible to the US for some reason. Generally though, if you have an H-1B visa you won't have any problems.

Ian
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think we'll travel to the U.S. early September on VWP and take a trip to Buffalo at the end of the month to get our I-94 and see Niagra Falls at the same time :-)

And who knows, when we arrive early September, the CBP officer may let us in on the H1/H4 instead of VWP. After all, I haven't seen any official document that mentions the 10 day limit for early entry on H1/H4. Is there any such document?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

And who knows, when we arrive early September, the CBP officer may let us in on the H1/H4 instead of VWP. After all, I haven't seen any official document that mentions the 10 day limit for early entry on H1/H4. Is there any such document?
Not sure, but I have one - probably minor - point to make, namely that if you're planning to fly on a one-way ticket you may have to worry about the airline as well as CBP. They're not supposed to transport VWP people unless they have onward travel booked somewhere outside North America.

Maybe they'll just see that a visa exists and not ask whether you're actually going to be using it - the dates are quite close, after all - but I can say from personal experience that once someone at check-in realizes that they can force you to buy another ticket on the spot (at whatever price they care to charge) it can be hard to dissuade them.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think we'll travel to the U.S. early September on VWP and take a trip to Buffalo at the end of the month to get our I-94 and see Niagra Falls at the same time :-)

It actually says 'NOT VALID UNTIL 10 DAYS PRIOR TO PETITION START DATE' on the visa they put into your passport at the embassy

Niagra Falls are lovely, especially from the Canadian side
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
It actually says 'NOT VALID UNTIL 10 DAYS PRIOR TO PETITION START DATE' on the visa they put into your passport at the embassy
The rumor must have originated somewhere

I got you
Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zerlesen
Not sure, but I have one - probably minor - point to make, namely that if you're planning to fly on a one-way ticket you may have to worry about the airline as well as CBP. They're not supposed to transport VWP people unless they have onward travel booked somewhere outside North America.
I see your point. But... a one-way ticket is about twice as expensive as a return ticket
Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

I see your point. But... a one-way ticket is about twice as expensive as a return ticket
Ha, well, if you've got a return ticket then that won't be a problem. Some airline pricing models are very weird but one certainly can sometimes find one-way flights for less than - and, once in a blue moon, half of - a return fare. I read something once claiming that buying a return ticket with the intention of only using the outbound portion is a violation of the terms and conditions of the ticket, which is hilarious.
Old May 24th 2013, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Scotskiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently got my H1B stamped at the consulate general in Auckland, NZ, and this line doesn't exist in it. Have the laid back kiwis just screwed this up? Reason I'm interested is I was planning the same thing as activa. Failing that, my girlfriend (US Citizen) can head over and do all that boring planning stuff for me