Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Holiday in California in May, ESTA question

Holiday in California in May, ESTA question

Old Feb 25th 2012, 10:59 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday in California in May, ESTA question

I'd lean strongly toward it not being a CIMT. There are plenty of pretty serious offenses that often aren't CIMT. For example, getting drunk and accidentally killing someone with your car, illegally carrying a firearm, and paying a prostitute for their services are usually not a CIMT. Even possession of stolen property in Canada isn't, but possession of property obtained by crime is so it can come down to the details.

Last edited by crg; Feb 25th 2012 at 11:08 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krunchiexx
From the Home Office website:

Does receiving a penalty notice count as a conviction?
No. Receipt of a penalty notice offers the recipient the opportunity to discharge their liability to conviction for the offence to which the notice relates or to request a court hearing. Payment of a penalty involves neither a finding nor an acceptance of guilt and removes the possibility of being proceeded against or gaining a record of criminal conviction for the offence for which the notice was issued.
Even if the offense were a CIMT, it would appear you've neither been arrested nor convicted of it.

The answer to the ESTA question of whether you have ever been arrested or convicted of it would seem to be no.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 4:11 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Still doesn't mean it's moral turpitude though.
Never said it was, just pointing out the differences in the punishment in America (jail time) versus getting a ticket in the UK. And as was mentioned before, it is the US consideration of the potentIal penalty that matters for immigration.

I agree with The others though who say it is likely not considered a CIMT.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:20 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
Never said it was, just pointing out the differences in the punishment in America (jail time) versus getting a ticket in the UK. And as was mentioned before, it is the US consideration of the potentIal penalty that matters for immigration.

I agree with The others though who say it is likely not considered a CIMT.
Yeah. And the only consideration that matters from the perspective of ESTA is whether or not the offence was a CIMT, not whether you can receive jail time in the US (this was explained very well by crg's post). All of which makes your initial speculation about the differences in sentencing somewhat irrelevant.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There are some who believe that alcohol is a controlled substance, since its availability is both regulated and restricted.

Ian
When the Immigration & Nationality Act refers to "controlled substances" it has a parenthetical attachment of an express reference to the 21 USC sec 802. Alcohol is not there.

The list of listed "chemicals" is of interest. Some of that stuff is available OTC at Costco.

In any case, I told OP how to find the case law on sale of alcohol as a crime involving moral turpitude.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:53 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Yeah. And the only consideration that matters from the perspective of ESTA is whether or not the offence was a CIMT, not whether you can receive jail time in the US (this was explained very well by crg's post). All of which makes your initial speculation about the differences in sentencing somewhat irrelevant.
Stop being such a pratt. 3 posts by Bob, Ian and Norah made reference to the US perspective to the OP ticket. All I did was post a few google results for those who where interested, I wasn't making any speculations about anything thank you very much.

To the OP, good luck on your application, and enjoy your holiday
Old Jun 27th 2012, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

krunchiexx is an unknown quantity at this point

OP here, though I'd chime in and give an update now that my holiday has been and gone. When I was doing my searching for similar issues on many forums I never found any one coming back and giving an update afterwards.

Everything was fine and I had a wonderful time in California. Monterey was a particular highlight of the trip and I fully intend to return there one day!
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krunchiexx
OP here, though I'd chime in and give an update now that my holiday has been and gone. When I was doing my searching for similar issues on many forums I never found any one coming back and giving an update afterwards.

Everything was fine and I had a wonderful time in California. Monterey was a particular highlight of the trip and I fully intend to return there one day!
Pleased it all went well for you, and thanks for the update.