Hi / Introducing Myself!

Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:32 am
Just Joined

NeCa is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Hi / Introducing Myself!

Hey,

I just wanted to introduce myself here as it's my first post on this forum and I reckon I'm going to be spending a fair amount of time here.

I've always wanted to move to the US and, fairly recently, I visited California on a holiday and fell in love with the place. I'm currently at university as a mature student (27) studying a software engineering degree, of which I have one more year to go. Coupled with that, I'm also currently working as a software developer.

So, if it isn't already obvious, my goal is for my girlfriend and I to move to California. A general US move has been thought of for a fair few years but now, since I have only a year to go on this degree, it's time to properly start putting things into motion. Right now, we're planning on a return visit to California in 2013 to schedule some meetings with employment agencies as I feel an actual physical presence will boost the chances of finding a job.

The year ahead for us is all about planning, really. I've heard different opinions of moving to the US, some people seem to think it's pretty easy, some think it's nigh on impossible. Though the general deduction would be that everyone's experience is different, I'm going to take the mentality of the latter of those two opinions and assume that it'll be quite a challenge.

Anyway, that's it really. As I mentioned, I just wanted to say hello. If anyone does have any general advice (as I've said, I've not read the sticky posts yet and I'll have a good read of them when I get home tonight) then it would be most welcome. If you have any experiences of moving to California, I'd also be most interested in hearing how you went about it.

Thanks for reading,
NeCa
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:48 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi / Introducing Myself!

Originally Posted by NeCa
If anyone does have any general advice (as I've said, I've not read the sticky posts yet and I'll have a good read of them when I get home tonight) then it would be most welcome.
Read this and this... including all the links. Then, c'mon back and ask your questions! You're in for an uphill battle to be sure, but it certainly is possible.

As for your girlfriend, unless you're married to her or she qualifies for a visa on her own, she won't be going to the US as anything other than a visitor - and she can't live/work in the US as a visitor.

Ian
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Ian, much appreciated.

Yeah, we're in two minds about marriage. We've been together for over nine years now and, though neither of us are marriage-y (for lack of a better term) people, we've discussed that we may have to look at marriage before moving.

Wow, that made us sound heartless. Haha. I should state outright that we love each other very much and are both very happy in our relationship. In fact, let me rephrase that original statement a bit - we've always operated on a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

I read that if I get a job over there and she moves over as a spouse, she's not eligible for work, right? Unless she gets her own work visa, of course. And on that subject, she's got a few qualification too, which I think are recognised in the US (ITIL/Prince2).
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that made us sound heartless.
Not at all! US immigration and romance are often mutually exclusive choices!

I read that if I get a job over there and she moves over as a spouse, she's not eligible for work, right?
That would depend on the visa you get. Many derivative visas allow the spouse to work, others don't.

Ian
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Lots to process here.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I've looked into this a few times before, skimming through the odd advice book I've picked up on moving to America. But now it feels a little more real.

So, looks like H1B is my most likely option, despite the low allocation. So am I right in thinking that employers can only sponsor you in April? My initial plan to head to some employment agencies was going to be around September 2013, but this kind of blows that out of the water. And on the subject of sponsorship, I understand that it can cost > $5,000 for an employer to sponsor for a visa. Could a potential employee not offer to take such a deduction in salary?

I guess L1 is also another option as I work (in the UK) for a pretty big American company, so we have a lot of US locations. The only problem with that is that I doubt they'd be willing to go for a transfer until I'm at a certain level, which could take years.

As far as Pulaski's simplified openings go, I think I fall into three categories (excluding working for a multinational employer). Not sure how much that'll help.

I guess one other option is to stay another year and do a MSc. Problem with that is that it's another year out of full-time work (going back to Uni from full-time work has been a hell of a shock) and it's more debt.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots to process here.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I've looked into this a few times before, skimming through the odd advice book I've picked up on moving to America. But now it feels a little more real.

So, looks like H1B is my most likely option, despite the low allocation. So am I right in thinking that employers can only sponsor you in April? My initial plan to head to some employment agencies was going to be around September 2013, but this kind of blows that out of the water. And on the subject of sponsorship, I understand that it can cost > $5,000 for an employer to sponsor for a visa. Could a potential employee not offer to take such a deduction in salary?

I guess L1 is also another option as I work (in the UK) for a pretty big American company, so we have a lot of US locations. The only problem with that is that I doubt they'd be willing to go for a transfer until I'm at a certain level, which could take years.

As far as Pulaski's simplified openings go, I think I fall into three categories (excluding working for a multinational employer). Not sure how much that'll help.

I guess one other option is to stay another year and do a MSc. Problem with that is that it's another year out of full-time work (going back to Uni from full-time work has been a hell of a shock) and it's more debt.
Your prospective employer cannot submit the application until April 1st, for an October start date, so if you were successful in finding an employer to sponsor you for an H1-B, and the application was successful, you couldn't start work until the October of that year. You are not allowed to pay for that, the employer must pay for it, end of. As for the L visa, have you asked your company what their opinion would be for transferring you and if it would be an option possibly further down the line, the advantage of that is, if you're married at that point, your wife could work, on the H4 (which she would come over on if you were on an H1-B), she can't.

A lot for you to think about but I'm sure some of the others will be along with some more advice. Good luck with whatever path you decide to take
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the advice, Brat1.

I've written an email to the HR guy at work. He says that it's not unheard for those in my department to move over there but it's more common for the consultants (we are a consultancy, technology and outsourcing firm). He also mention that it could take a few years for the company to consider an employee marketable enough for a transfer.

Feels like it's spaghetti junction right now; so many paths. I need to give it some proper thought. I want to make sure I'm on the right one.

Another thought that cropped up is the idea of studying a Master's Degree in the US, which isn't unheard of, right? It's not something I've considered before, to be honest, and I'm not sure how the finance looks yet (one more thing to look into) but it's another potential window I guess.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Another thought that cropped up is the idea of studying a Master's Degree in the US, which isn't unheard of, right?
Right. In fact, I'd say it's pretty common.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seconded
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice

Hi NeCa. I don't have much to offer, however I'm also going into my final year of a Software Engineering degree (at Bournemouth Uni) and am 21. Like you, I've been researching for some time of the possibility of moving to the United States!

I've stopped looking at a potential move as something that is going to happen in the near future and have mapped out a longer term plan that may give me a better chance of a potential move.

I plan on applying for graduate schemes/jobs/internships and working for a few years getting experience and saving. After a few years, there may be the possibility of a company transfer (unlikely, but possible) or the opportunity of studying for a masters in the United States.

Studying for a masters allows you to work afterwards (up to 29 months if you study CS or SE) and you are not bound by the standard H1B cap. You'll also be in the country and have more chance of being sponsored for a visa.

Obviously there is a chance you will not get a job or sponsor, is very expensive ($80k) and nothing is guaranteed, but it puts you in a better position. You'll also get a masters degree and be able to experience life in the USA.

Having a partner makes your situation a lot different, and who knows what will happen in the next few years (marriage, kids, US government pulls OPT), however it is possible.

All the best!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Spot on.

You have the advantage of potential USC love interest.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Excellent advice again.

Man, you guys are helpful on here!

A Master's would certainly be an interesting option and it's definitely worth consideration. The financial implications are potentially crippling, though. I'm aware there's scholarships and such but I'm not sure they'd be open to international students and there'd definitely be strong competition for them (I'm currently on track for a first class degree but I'd always imagine that scholarship level would be some genius a few steps above me).

I also read that international students can't work for the first six months, then only 20 hours per week on campus after that). Is that true of postgrads? Or just undergrads?

Also, does anyone have any idea what the situation would be for a spouse of a student visa holder?

Heh heh. USC, eh? If only.

TangoBlue, sounds like a solid plan and I hope it works out for you.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, does anyone have any idea what the situation would be for a spouse of a student visa holder?
The student gets an F-1. The spouse gets an F-2. F-2 visa holder is not allowed to work in the USA.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The student gets an F-1. The spouse gets an F-2. F-2 visa holder is not allowed to work in the USA.

Rene
Thanks, Rene.

See, that'd be pretty tough then. Two of us over there with neither of us able to work.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice

Excellent advice again.

Man, you guys are helpful on here!

A Master's would certainly be an interesting option and it's definitely worth consideration. The financial implications are potentially crippling, though. I'm aware there's scholarships and such but I'm not sure they'd be open to international students and there'd definitely be strong competition for them (I'm currently on track for a first class degree but I'd always imagine that scholarship level would be some genius a few steps above me).

I also read that international students can't work for the first six months, then only 20 hours per week on campus after that). Is that true of postgrads? Or just undergrads?

Heh heh. USC, eh? If only.

TangoBlue, sounds like a solid plan and I hope it works out for you.
Correct, scholarships are extremely hard to get, especially if you're an international student. Also, it's a lot more expensive for you, as both you and your girlfriend will not be able to work (bar the 20 hours on campus for you) and the duration of a masters is typically a year and a half to two years, unlike one year in the UK. You'll also have to show you have enough money to support both you and your girlfriend. Even after you graduate and potentially get sponsored for a job, your girlfriend can still not work.

If I were you, I'd stick with working your way up and getting a company transfer. Cheaper, easier and your girlfriend can work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.