Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

nicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nice
Default Re: Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Healthcare is a huge consideration...again take a look back through the old threads in the main US and Trailer Park forums. There are dozens of them!

There is a Search Function located at the top of the page...go to Advance Search and search the US Forums for "Healthcare" in the thread title. You can do the same search replacing the word "E2 visa" and it should show you all the past threads. Please give me a shout if you need help with this.
Thanks jerseygirl, will do. Its alway nice to have some helpful advice!!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Just be aware that there is very little you can research in terms of actual cost until you start calling and talking to insurance companies. The quotes you get online are not available to the majority of people and are used as teaser rates to get you interested.

The things you can research well online are stuff like co-pas, deductibles, co-insurance, formularies, in/out of network, prescription, health, vision and dental insurance, HIPAA, pre-existing conditions, healthcare reform and creditable coverage. They are all essential to know before you start looking at policies or you can easily end up with a policy that won't cost you much up front but will cost you out the wazoo when you actually need some sort of medical care. Most also change on a regular basis.
Yes premiums, co-pays, deductibles and other terms of the policy change at the beginning of every calendar year. So if you get a quote now...probably everything will change come Jan 1st.

Originally Posted by nicky_b
Thanks jerseygirl, will do. Its alway nice to have some helpful advice!!

Also check out the US Section of the BE Wiki.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 30th 2010 at 5:53 pm. Reason: To add another quote/post.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes premiums, co-pays, deductibles and other terms of the policy change at the beginning of every calendar year. So if you get a quote now...probably everything will change come Jan 1st.
The premiums will change every year, but if the insurance is a company, as opposed to a personal, policy, it is not written in stone that a company's renewal date will be January 1. A company I do the books for renews on September 1 every year, and that is when the premiums go up. So if the OP is looking at a company policy, it might be a good idea to find out when the renewal date is.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicky_b
I'm sorry, but that is totally rude and un-called for! You do not know me and therefore have no right to judge!
nicky, what exactly is 'totally rude' about it? Because he doesn't know you well enough? All we know of you is what you have posted here, and I tend to agree with Ian, that you are reading/listening, but not necessarily taking it in.
I appreciate that you're not going to be put off by a few stranger naysayers and that's an excellent quality in an entrepreneur. Just bear in mind that no one really likes to be told they don't know what they're talking about when they are the person living the experience.
Things that make perfect sense to you where you are sitting may simply not be valid in the US. Just take it all in; it's all helpful information whether you see the value in it now, or later.

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The way I think of the visa is how would you handle standing at heathrow airport a couple of months after moving to the US. You have no money, no house, no job, contracts bills or early termination fees in the US to pay and no long term way back to the US all because your business failed and your visa became void?
I never really thought about it this way before, but that basically describes the situation my family was in when I was 10 years old and we returned from Spain. We had enough money to make it to New York, but all roots were in California. My parents engineered an amazing come back, but sometimes when I think about them, towing two little kids around.. it's a wonder!

Boiler:
what is the link you were trying to post there? Please PM me the name in non-link format?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
nicky, what exactly is 'totally rude' about it? Because he doesn't know you well enough? All we know of you is what you have posted here, and I tend to agree with Ian, that you are reading/listening, but not necessarily taking it in.
I appreciate that you're not going to be put off by a few stranger naysayers and that's an excellent quality in an entrepreneur. Just bear in mind that no one really likes to be told they don't know what they're talking about when they are the person living the experience.
Things that make perfect sense to you where you are sitting may simply not be valid in the US. Just take it all in; it's all helpful information whether you see the value in it now, or later.

I never really thought about it this way before, but that basically describes the situation my family was in when I was 10 years old and we returned from Spain. We had enough money to make it to New York, but all roots were in California. My parents engineered an amazing come back, but sometimes when I think about them, towing two little kids around.. it's a wonder!

Boiler:
what is the link you were trying to post there? Please PM me the name in non-link format?
I think it is the site that can not be named on this site due to some historical handbags issue.

Now I think of it I think that it came up before but can not remember the reasons, not that it matters.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think it is the site that can not be named on this site due to some historical handbags issue.

Now I think of it I think that it came up before but can not remember the reasons, not that it matters.
Other than now you've made me curious. I don't think there are any 'handbag' issues here (you're thinking of VJ ).
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Other than now you've made me curious. I don't think there are any 'handbag' issues here (you're thinking of VJ ).
Flip the "voice of expats" and remove the preposition.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Flip the "voice of expats" and remove the preposition.
thanks!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!
And wash your hands thoroughly after leaving the site.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
And wash your hands thoroughly after leaving the site.
Whycome Boiler posted a link a couple of days ago, but I visit it today and it is stamped with 'today' for the date? Some weird web conspiracy or a new trickery I haven't heard of before?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:10 pm
Septicity

Whycome Boiler posted a link a couple of days ago, but I visit it today and it is stamped with 'today' for the date? Some weird web conspiracy or a new trickery I haven't heard of before?
It's Obama Marxism. We've all lost our honor and watches.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nicky,

If you are committed to head to Florida and have $150K for the E2 then I recommend a Subway franchise. Three separate immigration attorneys have told me that this franchise is well respected by US Immigration as they have a high degree of confidence that it will successfully employ Americans. It is also one of the cheapest franchises that you can buy into.

It is my understanding that once one of you has the E2 based on subway your spouse is free to engage in any employment at all in the US. Thus I would have the secondary breadwinner secure the E2 via the Subway.

You will be able to get very low commercial rents right now, which will help you maintain profitability despite a terrible economy.

I have nothing to do with Subway, and I am not going that route for my E2.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:48 am
Banned

igotheesta is an unknown quantity at this point

What about a nightclub by a nightclub I mean a bottle service club charging 350-400 for a 25 buck bottle of Vodka like you see in Vegas, New York, LA etc. For Florida you would have to base it in Miami South Beach not Orlando I don't think the masses of visiting brits would throw down 400 for a bottle in Orlando.

Then again you might need far larger operating costs for a club. If it worked out though you could stand to make considerable profit. The workers would be paid in tips by the customer not a straight up wage like in England.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by igotheesta
What about a nightclub by a nightclub I mean a bottle service club charging 350-400 for a 25 buck bottle of Vodka like you see in Vegas, New York, LA etc. For Florida you would have to base it in Miami South Beach not Orlando I don't think the masses of visiting brits would throw down 400 for a bottle in Orlando.

Then again you might need far larger operating costs for a club. If it worked out though you could stand to make considerable profit. The workers would be paid in tips by the customer not a straight up wage like in England.
IF it worked out

And I think even Florida has a minimum wage.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by igotheesta

oh JeeZ !! Miami is not Bournemouth
That type of business is highly controlled by those who wont
make you an offer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.