Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

There is nothing wrong with the E2, it does what is says on the wrapping.

For a lot of business's it might be the right way to go. I have concerns when I see people starting from it because it is the only thing I can get.

And words such as:
E2
Florida
Property Management
Pool Cleaning
Young children

Then I get worried.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

For a lot of business's it might be the right way to go. I have concerns when I see people starting from it because it is the only thing I can get.

And words such as:
E2
Florida
Property Management
Pool Cleaning
Young children

Then I get worried.
And, apologies to nicky, add 'desperate' to that list of red flags.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

nicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
reading through other threads l am quickly seeing where you are all coming from...
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

nicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
sorry to ask a silly question, but please bear in mind l am new on here - what is your red flag
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler

And words such as:
E2
Florida
Property Management
Pool Cleaning
Young children

Then I get worried.
l can totally see where you are coming from...
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicky_b
we have created apackage in the uk that has helped during the downturn, but with regards to the us market, as l did state l would need to research. You mentioned you were going to move over to florida, but swiftly changed your mind, is this due to work reasons?
We came here with my husband...L1a/b intra company transfer 14 years ago...we are now US citizens. We were looking at Florida for retirement...not for work.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to ask a silly question, but please bear in mind l am new on here - what is your red flag
A 'red flag' is a warning sign; using 'desperate' in the context of wanting to move to Florida (or do practically anything) does not indicate that it's a well-thought business decision, but an emotional 'want'.

No disrespect, but 2 visits in 5 years is not the way I would make a business decision or a relocation one. Well, tell a lie. I did once move to a place, with an eye toward opening a business there, after one visit. Also a hot, humid, charming tropical place where local lore has it that the best way to make a small fortune is to start with a big one!
I stayed for a while and got the on-the-ground vibe and did not leave any large quantities of money behind. Gaining legal residency in that country was at the time, also very very difficult.

Did you read the threads Sue looked up for you, from the other thread?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My children are 5 and 11 yrs.
http://www.***********.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11503

Might be interesting.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We came here with my husband...L1a/b intra company transfer 14 years ago...we are now US citizens. We were looking at Florida for retirement...not for work.
sounds lovely!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I do not view things through rose tinted glasses, this is why honest comments will really help.
Every reply you've had so far, has been an "honest comment". Don't confuse what you want to hear with with what you need to hear. You're listening... but you aren't hearing.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The way I think of the visa is how would you handle standing at heathrow airport a couple of months after moving to the US. You have no money, no house, no job, contracts bills or early termination fees in the US to pay and no long term way back to the US all because your business failed and your visa became void? If that is no problem then you really have nothing to lose.

Something else I didn't see mentioned. Healthcare. It's a whole separate topic but is a major component of making the move. With two young children you can't afford to be without insurance but you may not be able to afford insurance.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Every reply you've had so far, has been an "honest comment". Don't confuse what you want to hear with with what you need to hear. You're listening... but you aren't hearing.

Ian
I'm sorry, but that is totally rude and un-called for! You do not know me and therefore have no right to judge!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The way I think of the visa is how would you handle standing at heathrow airport a couple of months after moving to the US. You have no money, no house, no job, contracts bills or early termination fees in the US to pay and no long term way back to the US all because your business failed and your visa became void? If that is no problem then you really have nothing to lose.

Something else I didn't see mentioned. Healthcare. It's a whole separate topic but is a major component of making the move. With two young children you can't afford to be without insurance but you may not be able to afford insurance.
Totally agree, there is no way we would be silly enough to overlook healthcare, therefore l am researching this separately. Also l would not make a move over, until l was totally sure we had enough funds in place and also l would not sell our home here, for the first couple of years, or our business, as we would ensure we have a manager in place,as a safety net.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree, there is no way we would be silly enough to overlook healthcare, therefore l am researching this separately. Also l would not make a move over, until l was totally sure we had enough funds in place and also l would not sell our home here, for the first couple of years, or our business, as we would ensure we have a manager in place,as a safety net.
Healthcare is a huge consideration...again take a look back through the old threads in the main US and Trailer Park forums. There are dozens of them!

There is a Search Function located at the top of the page...go to Advance Search and search the US Forums for "Healthcare" in the thread title. You can do the same search replacing the word "E2 visa" and it should show you all the past threads. Please give me a shout if you need help with this.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree, there is no way we would be silly enough to overlook healthcare, therefore l am researching this separately.
Just be aware that there is very little you can research in terms of actual cost until you start calling and talking to insurance companies. The quotes you get online are not available to the majority of people and are used as teaser rates to get you interested.

The things you can research well online are stuff like co-pas, deductibles, co-insurance, formularies, in/out of network, prescription, health, vision and dental insurance, HIPAA, pre-existing conditions, healthcare reform and creditable coverage. They are all essential to know before you start looking at policies or you can easily end up with a policy that won't cost you much up front but will cost you out the wazoo when you actually need some sort of medical care. Most also change on a regular basis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.