Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Hot weather all the time is overrated if you actually want to get things done. It's lovely when you're on holiday but otherwise it's a pain.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicky_b
hi guys, thanks for your comments. My children are 5 and 11 yrs. I am looking at relocating over the next 2 yrs. As everyone at the moment l do not have a huge amount of money, but l am going to do a couple of house renovations to help the money pot. I am an estate agent and would very much like to learn more about florida property and perhaps maybe look at purchasing a holiday home management company, maybe aimed at brits who own holiday home rentals. This seems a natural business for us to purchase as we are very used to property management. We would like to employ a couple of maintenance people to take care of domestic cleans, pools cleaning, maintenance etc.. My husband and l would obviously run the office, marketing, advertising and taking on new work etc.. We would rent our own property until we become established as we would not have the funds to buy and obviously would not be able to secure a us mortgage for the first couple of years. I would also want to have the e2 visa extended for a further5 yrs before purchasing.
I am aware the florida has been hard hit with the recession, but there will come to a point when things will get better. I am an optomistic! but l do not view things through rose tinted glasses, this is why honest comments will really help. Thank you.
I asked about family because Florida schools are noted for being...well let's just say not the best schools in the US. Also when they reach 18 uni here is very expensive and if they wanted to go to the UK to attend uni...international school fees would be applicable. Also when they reach 21...unless they qualify for their own visa...they would have to leave the US.

Edit: Another downside to moving with children is something many of us didn't think about at the time...it's removing them from their family. Growing up without grandma and granddad...aunts and uncles...cousins etc. My daughter was 11 when we moved here...I often regret depriving her of family and I regret depriving them...especially her grandparents. Just something to think about.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 29th 2010 at 6:44 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys, thanks for your comments. My children are 5 and 11 yrs. I am looking at relocating over the next 2 yrs. As everyone at the moment l do not have a huge amount of money, but l am going to do a couple of house renovations to help the money pot. I am an estate agent and would very much like to learn more about florida property and perhaps maybe look at purchasing a holiday home management company, maybe aimed at brits who own holiday home rentals. This seems a natural business for us to purchase as we are very used to property management. We would like to employ a couple of maintenance people to take care of domestic cleans, pools cleaning, maintenance etc.. My husband and l would obviously run the office, marketing, advertising and taking on new work etc.. We would rent our own property until we become established as we would not have the funds to buy and obviously would not be able to secure a us mortgage for the first couple of years. I would also want to have the e2 visa extended for a further5 yrs before purchasing.
I am aware the florida has been hard hit with the recession, but there will come to a point when things will get better. I am an optomistic! but l do not view things through rose tinted glasses, this is why honest comments will really help. Thank you.
sorry Kiddo ..You are dreaming.. There are hundred of management companies in Orlando .. I doubt if you would even get an E-2 for that nowadays ... and with lots of rental homes being repoed .. the market is dying fast..... your idea is the same as thousands of other ..
E-2 is not a great visa ..even less so with children

I hpoe you saw the TV show about it last week in the UK
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hot weather all the time is overrated if you actually want to get things done. It's lovely when you're on holiday but otherwise it's a pain.
I agree the pool has been 92F for weeks ...I much prefer 88F
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

nicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nice

hi ray, thanks yes l did see lost in paradise. Do you have any recommendations on which type of businesses may work?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

nicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I asked about family because Florida schools are noted for being...well let's just say not the best schools in the US. Also when they reach 18 uni here is very expensive and if they wanted to go to the UK to attend uni...international school fees would be applicable. Also when they reach 21...unless they qualify for their own visa...they would have to leave the US.

Edit: Another downside to moving with children is something many of us didn't think about at the time...it's removing them from their family. Growing up without grandma and granddad...aunts and uncles...cousins etc. My daughter was 11 when we moved here...I often regret depriving her of family and I regret depriving them...especially her grandparents. Just something to think about.
Hi Jerseygirl,
setting aside all the downsides, how are you finding life in Florida - l take it you are in florida? was it worth the up heaval? are you finding quality of life any better?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jerseygirl,
setting aside all the downsides, how are you finding life in Florida -
What is the point of 'setting aside the downsides'? That's what you should be most concerned about.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jerseygirl,
setting aside all the downsides, how are you finding life in Florida - l take it you are in florida? was it worth the up heaval? are you finding quality of life any better?
No we're still in New Jersey...have lived here for 14 years.

As I said we were quite amazed by what we found on our trip to Florida last year...so we decided not to relocate there and look at other options...we're in no hurry.

Nicky I noticed in another thread you stated you're an estate agent/realtor and said they're in demand. With the depressed housing market in the US...I would think there are too many realtors to go around.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 29th 2010 at 7:33 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No we're still in New Jersey...have lived here for 14 years.

As I said we were quite amazed by what we found on our trip to Florida last year...so we decided not to relocate there and look at other options...we're in no hurry.

Nicky I noticed in another thread you stated you're an estate agent/realtor and said they're in demand. With the depressed housing market in the US...I would think there are too many realtors to go around.
we have created apackage in the uk that has helped during the downturn, but with regards to the us market, as l did state l would need to research. You mentioned you were going to move over to florida, but swiftly changed your mind, is this due to work reasons?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What is the point of 'setting aside the downsides'? That's what you should be most concerned about.
i was setting aside the points jersy girl had stated, as l was trying to see whether a us move had overall been positive for her.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

i was setting aside the points jersy girl had stated, as l was trying to see whether a us move had overall been positive for her.
Jersey Girl didn't come to the US on an E2 though so it is hard to compare.

You may have to alter the direction of your dream honey...it aint easy
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:54 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

we have created apackage in the uk that has helped during the downturn, but with regards to the us market, as l did state l would need to research. You mentioned you were going to move over to florida, but swiftly changed your mind, is this due to work reasons?
Look up the term "underwater".

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...19&ft=1&f=1006

Florida is not the dream state when you live here! terrible economy, low paid jobs. Dont mean to rain on your parade but I do live here and the rose coloured specs came off pretty quickly.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Jersey Girl didn't come to the US on an E2 though so it is hard to compare.

You may have to alter the direction of your dream honey...it aint easy
Hi sugarmooma,
Thanks for your comment!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Look up the term "underwater".

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...19&ft=1&f=1006

Florida is not the dream state when you live here! terrible economy, low paid jobs. Dont mean to rain on your parade but I do live here and the rose coloured specs came off pretty quickly.
Hi bradford lass,
Thanks for the link, it is astounding!
Are you from bradford uk by any chance?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:45 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bradford lass,
Thanks for the link, it is astounding!
Are you from bradford uk by any chance?
Yep I moved from a poor Yorkshire town to a poor Florida one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.