Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

nicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nice
Default Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Hi everyone,
I have just joined this forum. My name is Nicky and since visiting Florida 2 times in the last 5 years, my family and l have fallen in love with the state
We currently live in the uk and to be completely honest, we are fed up with the weather, lack of opportunities and need a complete change.
I have been looking into the possibility of emigrating and understand we could do so through the E2 route. I would really love to hear from anyone who has done so, with advice on the best businesses to look into buying. We are currently both estate agenets and ideally staying in this field of work, would be nice. We are very aware that holidaying in Florida would be very much different from living there and this is why we are after help and tips, to see if this is for us.

Please help!!!

Nicky
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi everyone!

Originally Posted by nicky_b
Hi everyone,
I have just joined this forum. My name is Nicky and since visiting Florida 2 times in the last 5 years, my family and l have fallen in love with the state
We currently live in the uk and to be completely honest, we are fed up with the weather, lack of opportunities and need a complete change.
I have been looking into the possibility of emigrating and understand we could do so through the E2 route. I would really love to hear from anyone who has done so, with advice on the best businesses to look into buying. We are currently both estate agenets and ideally staying in this field of work, would be nice. We are very aware that holidaying in Florida would be very much different from living there and this is why we are after help and tips, to see if this is for us.

Please help!!!

Nicky
Dream away.........but I don't see any reality here.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:49 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi everyone! New to BE and looking into E2 visa

Hi everyone,

Please help!!!

Nicky
Hi Nicky,

It's quite difficult to move to the US, so please don't be surprised if you get some negative responses to your questions. It's just we see many people asking about moving to Florida, because they've been on holiday there, and they don't often realise the difficulties in obtaining a visa. The US isn't perfect, and has many of the same problems that one experiences in the UK, such as a bad economy, immigration issues, and rising cost of living. Not to mention a rising cost in health care. So just something for you to bear in mind.

We've had lots of thread started about E2 visas so you may want to take a read though those first. Here are some to start you off:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670855

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673120

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682551

Best of luck with everything and welcome to BE
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

nicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nicenicky_b is just really nice

hi Sue, thank you for your reply and l have had a look on these threads. I am gathering you need around $200,00 usd to invest into a business, which is higher than l had previously been told. Would this amount need to be totally your own cah or are you able to agree uk funding for part of it?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Hi everyone!

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Dream away.........but I don't see any reality here.
Until you look into a situation, you will never know!! life is for living and not hoping.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,
I have been looking into the possibility of emigrating and understand we could do so through the E2 route.
Even if you can get an E2, you can't "emigrate" on that visa. You're no more than a long term visitor until you have to go home.

Need a complete change? Switzerland is nice, by all accounts.

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 29th 2010 at 5:28 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Fair point! Switzerland is beautiful, but l need sunnier climates.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

I am getting the feeling that there are alot of people who are not happy with the e2 visa. This would be our only method of being able to live in the US, so useful advice would be gratefully received.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Then look at Cyprus, perhaps?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky we have literally dozens of new members every week who have spent a few weeks in Florida and want to move there. They have no other means of moving here apart from grasping at the E2 visa. If you take time to read through the old threads about others that have enquired about the E2 you will have some idea why it is far from an ideal visa.

There are plenty of European countries you could move to that have a warm year round climate without too much hassle.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Fully understand your point. It has been a while since we last went to florida and this is something l have seriously been contemplating for a while. Several years ago a friend of my family emigrated to california and it has been the best decision they have ever done, luckily for them he worked for george lucas, the film producer and everything was given to them on a plate. We went out there to visit for 3 months and was very sad to leave, unfortunately we have now lost contact. I understand the implications, but l really want to speak to expats who have gone through this route, to find out how it was worked out or not for them. This route is not for the light hearted, but with several years running a couple of different businesses, we are used to unconventional living and safety nets, employed people are used to. PLEASE can an expat get in contact!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Fully understand your point. It has been a while since we last went to florida and this is something l have seriously been contemplating for a while. Several years ago a friend of my family emigrated to california and it has been the best decision they have ever done, luckily for them he worked for george lucas, the film producer and everything was given to them on a plate. We went out there to visit for 3 months and was very sad to leave, unfortunately we have now lost contact. I understand the implications, but l really want to speak to expats who have gone through this route, to find out how it was worked out or not for them. This route is not for the light hearted, but with several years running a couple of different businesses, we are used to unconventional living and safety nets, employed people are used to. PLEASE can an expat get in contact!!!!
Be patient nicky...it's usually much quieter on here at the weekends.

I'm sure I don't have to point out that things have changed drastically in the last few years. We took a trip down to Florida last summer with a view to retiring down there...wow what a shock we got! Lots and lots of half built housing estates, shopping plazas, office blocks, condo buildings etc. Florida has really been hit hard during this recession.

BTW that thing about the weather...I like hot and humid but day after day after day...it soon gets old.

Edit: You mentioned your family...I take it you mean you, your husband and children...if so how old are your children?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 29th 2010 at 6:05 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Are you adequately capatalised? You need the money for the investment, moving and at least a years worth of living expenses.

2. You mentioned that you had experience running your own business. Be aware that it is very different here, you will be on a steep learning curve. Florida especially is known for its shysters.

3. What business do you want to start up or buy, is there a market opening that you see?

4. Business Plan

5. Remember the business comes first, plus you have the additional costs of making it E2 compliant. This gives you less flexibility especially if your business is marginal.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

PLEASE can an expat get in contact!!!!
nicky_b, so much has been written by E-2 candidates and business owners here already over the years... PLEASE be a good forum participant and do some of your own research for what's been written already; you will gain a TON more information vs waiting for someone to come answer your post.

I'd recommend that you make a few professional phone calls to your colleagues in FL (they're called real estate agents or brokers here) and ask THEM to give you the shop talk on how business is going.

Look for the current thread on this forum page about Florida Paradise Lost and watch the video of E-2 people and the problems they're having.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

hi guys, thanks for your comments. My children are 5 and 11 yrs. I am looking at relocating over the next 2 yrs. As everyone at the moment l do not have a huge amount of money, but l am going to do a couple of house renovations to help the money pot. I am an estate agent and would very much like to learn more about florida property and perhaps maybe look at purchasing a holiday home management company, maybe aimed at brits who own holiday home rentals. This seems a natural business for us to purchase as we are very used to property management. We would like to employ a couple of maintenance people to take care of domestic cleans, pools cleaning, maintenance etc.. My husband and l would obviously run the office, marketing, advertising and taking on new work etc.. We would rent our own property until we become established as we would not have the funds to buy and obviously would not be able to secure a us mortgage for the first couple of years. I would also want to have the e2 visa extended for a further5 yrs before purchasing.
I am aware the florida has been hard hit with the recession, but there will come to a point when things will get better. I am an optomistic! but l do not view things through rose tinted glasses, this is why honest comments will really help. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.