Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Old Jan 3rd 2020, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

I was also in Denver. My appointment was scheduled ~3 months after I had completed the biometrics appointment.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
10/17/19 N-400 filed
10/19/19 Notification of Biometrics scheduled (Estimated case completion time 5 months March 2020)
11/06/19 Biometrics appointment - Charleston, SC (Estimated wait time 3 months)
12/31/19 Notification of Citizenship Interview scheduled
02/04/20 Citizenship Interview
It's pretty quick in Charleston isn't it! I had my interview with tests and stuff 15th April last year (I was convinced I'd get the "When is tax day" question, but didn't). Ceremony was 10 days later at the same location in West Ashley. Applied for a US passport the same day. Easy peasy!
Old Jan 4th 2020, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
It's pretty quick in Charleston isn't it! I had my interview with tests and stuff 15th April last year (I was convinced I'd get the "When is tax day" question, but didn't). Ceremony was 10 days later at the same location in West Ashley. Applied for a US passport the same day. Easy peasy!
My husbands interview is the day before mine. We are hoping for a quick turnaround and have a ceremony soon after.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp

That’s great. I had my biometrics over a month before you (Denver) and am still waiting to get an interview date.
Interview scheduled for Feb 11th.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp
Interview scheduled for Feb 11th.
Good luck!
Old Feb 4th 2020, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Had my interview today. The appointment was at 12:55pm and I arrived at 12:15pm. (Traffic was on my side for once) The car park was already pretty and not many spaces left.
I went inside and checked in and had my fingerprints and photo taken. I then sat and waited....and waited....and waited. (My husband was there yesterday and his appointment started on time)
I was called up to a window and asked when my husbands' oath ceremony was, I was then told that there may not be space for me and we may either have to have separate oath ceremonies or change my husbands' ceremony date. I was finally called through to do the interview/test at 1:20pm. I was sworn in and then the officer looked through my passports (3 expired and 1 current) and took my GC. I then did the speaking English test (I forget what I was to say. Something about senators). I then had to write "Alaska is the largest state". He then moved on to asking me the test questions. My questions were: Who is the governor of the state of SC? Who wrote Federalist Papers? Who was brought to the US and sold as slaves? Name 2 national US holidays. Name 1 of the 2 longest rivers in the US. Why are there 13 stripes on the US flag? As I got the 1st 6 correct he did not ask me any more questions. We then went over the answers in my application, and he asked if I was still a member of the ACLU and HRC (I am). He told me I had passed and gave me a piece of paper and told me to wait in the waiting room again and I would be called up and given my oath ceremony date. I asked about my kids and applying for passports for them and he said we could apply for them if they were under 16 years of age. My son is 17 this year so he said he would need to get his own Naturalization Certificate and that my daughter would only get a passport valid until she turned 16 which is April 2021. I have never heard that before and I am going to do a bit of research on it. I would hope that the immigration officer would know what he is talking about though! I left the USCIS office at 2:45pm and was home 30 minutes later.

10/17/19 N-400 filed
10/19/19 Notification of Biometrics scheduled (Estimated case completion time 5 months March 2020)
11/06/19 Biometrics appointment - Charleston, SC (Estimated wait time 3 months)
12/31/19 Notification of Citizenship Interview scheduled
02/04/20 Citizenship Interview
02/20/20 Oath Ceremony
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Today I became an American citizen, along with my husband, and 24 other people from 13 countries. Our ceremony was at 9:30 am at the USCIS office in Charleston SC. We arrived with our kids just before 9 am and checked in. 2 friends arrived to watch us be sworn in and they sat with our kids when we were called into the room the ceremony was going to be in to go over everything we needed to know for the ceremony. About 15 minutes later friends and family were brought into the room and we watched a video and listened to, some sang along with, the national anthem. We then did the pledge of allegiance before the guy doing the ceremony read the list of countries that people were from asking us to stand as our birth country was called. The first country was Burma and the last one was the United Kingdom. We then all said the oath of allegiance and were given our certificates of naturalization. We took photos and were given information about registering to vote, applying for US passports and how long to leave it before going to SSA to update our SSN. My husband and I then took the kids to lunch before we went to the DMV and updated our driver's licenses and got the new Real ID compliant ones as well as registering to vote. This day has been a long time coming, and it has been a hard slog to get here, but I am glad we did it. Now bring on the alcohol!
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Enjoy that drink!
Old Feb 21st 2020, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Dorothygale53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Today I became an American citizen, along with my husband, and 24 other people from 13 countries. Our ceremony was at 9:30 am at the USCIS office in Charleston SC. We arrived with our kids just before 9 am and checked in. 2 friends arrived to watch us be sworn in and they sat with our kids when we were called into the room the ceremony was going to be in to go over everything we needed to know for the ceremony. About 15 minutes later friends and family were brought into the room and we watched a video and listened to, some sang along with, the national anthem. We then did the pledge of allegiance before the guy doing the ceremony read the list of countries that people were from asking us to stand as our birth country was called. The first country was Burma and the last one was the United Kingdom. We then all said the oath of allegiance and were given our certificates of naturalization. We took photos and were given information about registering to vote, applying for US passports and how long to leave it before going to SSA to update our SSN. My husband and I then took the kids to lunch before we went to the DMV and updated our driver's licenses and got the new Real ID compliant ones as well as registering to vote. This day has been a long time coming, and it has been a hard slog to get here, but I am glad we did it. Now bring on the alcohol!
Congratulations! I have my biometrics next week. Did you find out any more information about your daughters passport that you mentioned in a previous post? My daughter turns 16 next year so I am in a similar situation.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 1:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yahoo! Congratulations, Sarah and Hubby. Now on to getting US Passports for yourselves and the kids. Just think you have the dubious honor of voting in the next presidential election for another non-worthy recipient.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Feb 21st 2020, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting for an interview date in Portland. Filed in September 2019.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothygale53
Congratulations! I have my biometrics next week. Did you find out any more information about your daughters passport that you mentioned in a previous post? My daughter turns 16 next year so I am in a similar situation.
We did ask after the ceremony and were told that we did not need to get Certificates of Naturalization for our kids (daughter almost 15 and son almost 17) but they could in the future if they wanted to. If they applied before they turn 18 they just fill out the N600 form, pay the fee and are sworn in by an officer in a private "ceremony". If they are over 18 then they will need to do the test and regular oath ceremony. They said that they are both automatically US citizens as their dad and I are now citizens, and they can get a US passport. She said sometimes colleges want to see certificates for scholarships etc. My kids are deciding if they want to do it.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:35 am
Just Joined

We did ask after the ceremony and were told that we did not need to get Certificates of Naturalization for our kids (daughter almost 15 and son almost 17) but they could in the future if they wanted to. If they applied before they turn 18 they just fill out the N600 form, pay the fee and are sworn in by an officer in a private "ceremony". If they are over 18 then they will need to do the test and regular oath ceremony. They said that they are both automatically US citizens as their dad and I are now citizens, and they can get a US passport. She said sometimes colleges want to see certificates for scholarships etc. My kids are deciding if they want to do it.
If the N600 form is the one I’m thinking of, isn’t it super expensive? Like $1200 or something?... It’s more expensive than the N400 citizenship one!
I had not heard of some colleges needing the certificates, my eldest son graduated from college last year whilst we were on green cards. He got scholarships and we had no issues. Maybe it’s certain schools/scholarships that relates to. Something to certainly think about.
My question was actually about the USCIS officer telling you that if you applied for your daughters passport now at aged 15, it would still expire at age 16. Did you find out if that was correct? I have googled and that seems to be incorrect information you were given but I cannot find it on the official website!
Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:41 am
Just Joined

A little bit of information I discovered that may be useful for some...I received my biometrics appointment and knew I would not be able to make the date they had given me. After reading things online about people sending the letter back saying they could not make that date then receiving another letter with an appointment just a few days later, I decided to take the chance and just turn up at the USCIS office today. They didn’t care it wasn’t my day, they just let me through, took biometrics, I was in and out within 10 minutes! All offices may not be the same but the Kansas City one was super easy and quick 😃

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.