Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Old Jan 3rd 2020, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

I was also in Denver. My appointment was scheduled ~3 months after I had completed the biometrics appointment.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG View Post
10/17/19 N-400 filed
10/19/19 Notification of Biometrics scheduled (Estimated case completion time 5 months March 2020)
11/06/19 Biometrics appointment - Charleston, SC (Estimated wait time 3 months)
12/31/19 Notification of Citizenship Interview scheduled
02/04/20 Citizenship Interview
It's pretty quick in Charleston isn't it! I had my interview with tests and stuff 15th April last year (I was convinced I'd get the "When is tax day" question, but didn't). Ceremony was 10 days later at the same location in West Ashley. Applied for a US passport the same day. Easy peasy!
Old Jan 4th 2020, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I View Post
It's pretty quick in Charleston isn't it! I had my interview with tests and stuff 15th April last year (I was convinced I'd get the "When is tax day" question, but didn't). Ceremony was 10 days later at the same location in West Ashley. Applied for a US passport the same day. Easy peasy!
My husbands interview is the day before mine. We are hoping for a quick turnaround and have a ceremony soon after.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp View Post

That’s great. I had my biometrics over a month before you (Denver) and am still waiting to get an interview date.
Interview scheduled for Feb 11th.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp View Post
Interview scheduled for Feb 11th.
Good luck!
Old Feb 4th 2020, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Had my interview today. The appointment was at 12:55pm and I arrived at 12:15pm. (Traffic was on my side for once) The car park was already pretty and not many spaces left.
I went inside and checked in and had my fingerprints and photo taken. I then sat and waited....and waited....and waited. (My husband was there yesterday and his appointment started on time)
I was called up to a window and asked when my husbands' oath ceremony was, I was then told that there may not be space for me and we may either have to have separate oath ceremonies or change my husbands' ceremony date. I was finally called through to do the interview/test at 1:20pm. I was sworn in and then the officer looked through my passports (3 expired and 1 current) and took my GC. I then did the speaking English test (I forget what I was to say. Something about senators). I then had to write "Alaska is the largest state". He then moved on to asking me the test questions. My questions were: Who is the governor of the state of SC? Who wrote Federalist Papers? Who was brought to the US and sold as slaves? Name 2 national US holidays. Name 1 of the 2 longest rivers in the US. Why are there 13 stripes on the US flag? As I got the 1st 6 correct he did not ask me any more questions. We then went over the answers in my application, and he asked if I was still a member of the ACLU and HRC (I am). He told me I had passed and gave me a piece of paper and told me to wait in the waiting room again and I would be called up and given my oath ceremony date. I asked about my kids and applying for passports for them and he said we could apply for them if they were under 16 years of age. My son is 17 this year so he said he would need to get his own Naturalization Certificate and that my daughter would only get a passport valid until she turned 16 which is April 2021. I have never heard that before and I am going to do a bit of research on it. I would hope that the immigration officer would know what he is talking about though! I left the USCIS office at 2:45pm and was home 30 minutes later.

10/17/19 N-400 filed
10/19/19 Notification of Biometrics scheduled (Estimated case completion time 5 months March 2020)
11/06/19 Biometrics appointment - Charleston, SC (Estimated wait time 3 months)
12/31/19 Notification of Citizenship Interview scheduled
02/04/20 Citizenship Interview
02/20/20 Oath Ceremony